Houzz Logo Print
debutl

I need a new rug for this room...

Debbie
vor 9 Jahren
zuletzt bearbeitet:vor 9 Jahren
Room is about 12.5" x 12.5". I need a rug that will hold up to lots of traffic and pre-teens indulging in drinks and snacks while playing Wii or watching TV. I've been looking at jute rugs, but I'm just not sure if I will like that look.
The door has been moved to the left and the sofa is no longer obstructing the door. Once hubby gets that portion of the walled retextured, I've got to repaint the room. I haven't decided if I'm going to stay with the SW Kilim Beige or go with another color. I'll post some better, more recent pics shortly.

Kommentare (360)

• abbyjean
    vor 9 Jahren
    My heart just sunk when I saw that pic and I was trying to think.....really? What happened here? But you also have to think how happy the person is that no longer has those in their home! OH, my! That is not blue...that is BLUE!
  • Debbie
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    Here we go. How about these chairs?
  • Ähnliche Diskussionen

Little Girl Room - WWYD?

Q

Kommentare (8)
    I'd suggest a neutral, rather "grown-up" style as a basis and childlike, cute little details to create a room appropriate to your daughter's age. How about a grayish or brownish wall color, like Farrow & Ball's Mouse's Back or Light Gray? Golden Polka dots could be easily applied and removed when you choose wall stickers (https://www.houzz.com/products/vinyl-wall-sticker-decal-art-polka-dots-by-urban-walls-set-of-50-prvw-vr~4971601). They add a cute yet modern and stylish touch. I love this idea! Go for white curtains in case you paint your walls. I personally love the haptic of nya nordiska's LIMA, it's made of wool (http://www.nya.com/de/product/lima). In case of white walls, go for a rather striking curtain. nya nordiska even offers a transparent material with little golden dots (http://www.nya.com/de/product/puntilla-cs)! Now that you have the basis, add colorful details to the room. A striking carpet, a floor lamp, toys... They look great in grayish surroundings but can be changed any time. Maybe that helps as a start? Kind Regards, Saskia
    ...mehr

Unique kitchen layout

Q

Kommentare (11)
    Hi Ella, wow, that looks like a real challenge... The really low "Kniestock" together with your size doesn´t work well. I think you need to move the kitchen pretty far into the room to be able to properly move around and operate the kitchen. For instance if you imagine standing in front of the sink - if i read the floorplan correctly, if you move just a little bit to the right, you´ll bump your head into the angled wall. In addition, the whole area below the angled wall is actually not usable for a worktop area, because it´s just too low. Even if you place storage room there, it´s not really comfortable to reach. Can you add some more picture of the rest of the room? I think you need a complete layout including dining area and living room area and not only focus on the kitchen. Cheers, TH
    ...mehr

how to decorate new home with gray flooring and walls

Q

Kommentare (4)
    Hey, i will go for black and white furniture. In every room, i will choose different colors for decoration (vases, paintings, pillows etc. ). For example livingroom with purple decoration, bedroom with turquoise decoration etc. I love special items such as mosaic tables ( for example https://www.lionshome.at/moebel-gartentische/mosaik/ ) in homes. In Asien countries one often finds furniture with a lot of chrachter in homes. I think they build the depth of a home. Furthermore, plants are amazing! I think they will bring a lot of positivity in your home.
    ...mehr

Need help brightening my therapy room

Q

Kommentare (9)
    Hey Alice, Yes I know, it's so hard to pick one as there are so many beautiful ones! Yes, I would definitely choose one that's shorter than the sideboard! You could go for something white and simple or something made out of the same wood as the table legs or something that matches the metallic thingy over the desk. I think I would choose a simply white one or a metallic one. Or you could also just put a picture ledge there and then put the artwork on it and maybe a nice candle or a small plant. Depending on the shelf and the size of the artwork, I would put the artwork on it :) Also you shouldn't hang it too high, it shouldn't lose look disconnected from the sideboard. I would say about as high as the grid over the desk but it also depends on the shelf. But I guess you will see it when you chose one! :) I added a few examples but of course those are my taste but I hope you'll find something you like! golden shelf - Urban Outfitters (maybe you can find something with only two boards) Round metallic shelf - Lionshome Picture ledge - IKEA
    ...mehr
  • karemore55
    vor 9 Jahren
    Well, those are just Restoration Hardware rip-offs! And I never liked the RH ones, so I sure as heck don't like those!
  • karemore55
    vor 9 Jahren
    They look like something the Munsters would sit in lol.
  • abbyjean
    vor 9 Jahren
    SCARY!!!
  • Debbie
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    No worries...I won't be purchasing furniture for the Munsters or clowns.

Lauren got Gold in sparring today! She's back!
  • karemore55
    vor 9 Jahren
    I had to laugh when Abbyjean said her heart sunk at the sight of that sofa......I'm pretty sure I felt mine leap into my throat! Guess we don't know you well enough to realize you were joking, Deb. But, we have seen strange things on this site, that's for sure, so you just never know.....
  • Debbie
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    My apologies for the blue sofa prank. It started with hubby. He was complaining about all of the blue decor in the house. I saw these sofas and thought I would razz him a bit. He's ok with the blue decor we have now.
  • karemore55
    vor 9 Jahren
    Well, the terrible part is that now,we won't know when you are spoofing us! So, I can imagine you posting some mirror or piece of art and asking what we think, and we all burst out laughing and say, "You're joking - right?" Lolololol
  • karemore55
    vor 9 Jahren
    And, you did point it to Mel that there is no blue in the family room, didn't you? Or the laundry room. And tell him we won't do blue in the kitchen!
  • abbyjean
    vor 9 Jahren
    YAY for Lauren!!! Tell her how proud we all are of her.
  • Debbie
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    I promise I won't pull any more pranks. :-( It's total seriousness from now on!

The State tournament is next month, the day after Lauren turns 12. She'll compete in the 12-14 division. We were sizing up the girls in that division at yesterday's tournament and to quote Lauren, "they look scary."

Easter is starting early at our house.
  • karemore55
    vor 9 Jahren
    Love that pillow - it's so,darn cute! Your cat is sure the photo bomber....we hardly see a pic of your home with him in it lol.

Sounds like Lauren will have to practise a little sports psychology so she won't be intimidated by the bigger/scary girls! Lots of affirmations - size isn't everything, brains over brawn, etc.

I'm really glad she is pursuing the tae kwon do again. What a great way to build character and confidence. Will the sleepover happen before or after the tae kwon do event?
  • karemore55
    vor 9 Jahren
    Ahaha, that should have said, "without him in it..." Need more coffee!
  • karemore55
    vor 9 Jahren
    I think I have mentioned before that you can get down inserts at IKEA for way less than you pay at PB? I still don't know what sizes they offer, as I have only tried the 20" ones.

Another trick I use is to buy these gel fibre filled bed pillows that fit beautifully into the 16"X26" covers. They are even softer and more squishable than the PB inserts. In Canada, I buy them at The Bay, which is like your Macy's, with similar brands. I wait until they're on sale (of course), and I do t save a ton of money even then, but I do prefer the feel of them to the down ones. If you ever buy another of the bunny size, maybe keep this in mind.
  • Debbie
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    I love the bunny pillow. The birds looks good in here, too. Notice how Mittens has arranged the pillow so he can lay his head on it. LOL! He's a character.

I shopped at The Bay when I worked in Canada. That's where I bought a winter coat when I discovered my winter coat was really a fall coat up there.
  • Debbie
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    I'm not sure when we'll have the sleepover. Lauren's birthday always falls during spring break. We'll probably host her party a week or two after to ensure everyone is in town.
  • abbyjean
    vor 9 Jahren
    Looking at these last pics, with theeee cutest pillows ever, I see such a COZY room!!! LOVE IT!
  • Debbie
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    Abbyjean, you never weighed in on the metal bird art. The big, blank wall above the sofa is bugging me.
  • abbyjean
    vor 9 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 9 Jahren
    I LOVE BIRDS! I have them in my bathroom and even in the dining room. So when I saw those, I liked them and think they will be fine where you are picturing them. But I also want to make sure......the motherly instinct kicks in a lot....that your other pieces get a good home, too. I just felt like they were meant to be in that room due to the color and they were being kicked out of the bedroom. The clock found a home....tv wall, I believe.
  • Debbie
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    Yes, I'll hang the clock on the TV wall when the speakers are mounted. I'm going to hang the red tree prints vertically to the right of the French doors. The only piece without a home is the red orchid.

I think I'm going to order the bird art. It will be a few weeks, though. I've got to pay for the new pillow covers and I just ordered two queen air mattresses for slumber parties. The "love life" pillow cover is on backorder until April.
  • abbyjean
    vor 9 Jahren
    I had a pillow cover that I ordered from PB the first part of January and it kept being pushed back for delivery. So I wrote and asked and they said it was no longer available and no store had it. OK. Well, last week I went to my account to see if they took it off, and it said it was shipping in July. Really? So I wrote again and they said that is what the manufacturer said, so I was going to be patient as I really wanted it and had got it at a steal with a coupon. The next day I got an email that it was shipping! It is to be delivered tomorrow! I am so excited, but confused as to how this all happens, too. So maybe your pillow will be available earlier....but finances may not be, so it all works.
  • Ann
    vor 9 Jahren
    I once ordered a roman shade from PB kids for my granddaughter. They kept pushing the delivery date further and further out. I finally chose a different one - she would have been a teenager before the first one arrived, lol! Usually, I have very good luck with PB orders.
  • Debbie
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren

Abbyjean, did you get your pillow? Which one did you order?

• abbyjean
    vor 9 Jahren

I did get it on Monday! Just a boring old ivory velvet lumber cover as I really needed THAT color on the living room couch and that size and the velvet worked to mix up the textures. LOVE IT! And love that I already had an insert that size, as it is a larger lumbar. And the price? Less than $13 with free shipping. SCORE!!!

• Libby Allen
    vor 9 Jahren

I like the pillow with the squares of red that is on the couch in first picture. I think a thick rug with similar colors and squares would be nice to play Wii on.

I love the colors in your room

• Debbie
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren

Hi ladies!

I haven't been on Houzz much the last several weeks. I've been focusing on my fitness challenge. I've lost five pounds, two inches in my waist and decreased my body fat by 1.5%! I made it through the super soreness from not having worked out in a while. Tomorrow I will increase the intensity of my workouts.

I did add a little something to the mantel.

I hope everyone is doing well!

• abbyjean
    vor 9 Jahren

AMAZING progress with your fitness challenge. You go, girl! Those numbers have to motivate you to keep it going.

Love the added touch to the mantel.....ties in the dark colors up there. Layering is my favorite, and you do it so well.

• Ann
    vor 9 Jahren

That's wonderful about your fitness challenge Debbie. I had started to gain weight after being lean for most of my life and decided to address it about a year ago (inspired by Margo's story). Anyway, I wanted to lose about 7 lbs and ended up losing 10 and I've loved the way it has felt. I've noticed lately I've added about a pound back but will address that before it turns into 5 or 10. I agree with abbyjean, your great progress will totally inspire you to keep it going and reach your goal.

• abbyjean
    vor 9 Jahren

I slacked off on eating the right way over the holidays....too many temptations that I could not resist and always found a way to justify it. So back to watching sugar and carbs and I am getting back to where I was....yay!

• karemore55
    vor 9 Jahren
    The B looks good there, Deb! Seems made for that spot, doesn't it? It definitely adds a certain something to the arrangement!

And, congratulations on your weight loss and obvious muscle gain! Yes, getting results is such a great motivator! Not to mention the prize money dangling in front of you lol.

Well, I've already shared my sad story with you guys, of happy hour = weight gain. So, now that we are back from Mexico I am officially in the wagon lol. I just don't know what is up with these colds and viruses - I just keep getting one after the other. So, I'm not doing great in the exercise department.

Keep posting your progress, Deb - it's inspiring and motivating to us!
  • Debbie
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren

Karemore, I hope you can get yourself well now that you're home. That's not a good sign if you keep getting colds and viruses.

I'll post my progress in the fitness challenge. I am really motivated now. I've been carrying an extra 15 pounds for way too long. I'm going to prove you can be fit during and after that darn "change" thing. The weight sure doesn't come off as easily as it used to. One thing is for sure...I'm not the one in the worst shape at the gym!

• Su Lim
    vor 9 Jahren
    Use two carpets white/ vanilla under brown ?
  • Ann
    vor 9 Jahren

Debbie, you'll get there before you know it and you'll love the way your clothes feel, comfortable and loose rather than too tight.

• Debbie
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren

Hey Houzz Friends!

I've missed you guys! I hope all is well. Happy Spring! Yay! It's beautiful here today.

I'm cruising along slowly with my fitness challenge. It's the half-way mark and I've lost four inches in my waist and reduced my body fat by 4%. I'm up to 100 lbs. on squats (I started with the 45 lb. Olympic bar) and 50 lbs. on lunges. My energy is through the roof and I feel great! I hope to lose at least another four inches in my waist and reduce my body fat by at least another 4% by the end of the challenge.

I bought these outfits last summer for our trip to CA since I couldn't fit into any of my shorts. I really needed to go up a size, but refused. Now, the shorts are about to fall off of me! I'm going clothes shopping this weekend in my own closet! The before pic was taken in CA. My "friends" were performing on the beach. They were pretty awesome!

• karemore55
    vor 9 Jahren
    Oh Deb, I am so very happy for you! I totally admire your determination.....and, talk about focus - that is a huge feat to be able to discipline yourself for so long! Of course, seeing the results is a great motivator, isn't it?

Your legs look so shapely, and I am so jealous! I was trying to get a good look at the backs of my legs last summer when I was trying on a dress, and I remember thinking they looked like stumps lol.

Your saying that your energy levels are through the roof has me extremely intrigued.....I would love to feel that way again. Maybe this (almost) 60 year old could put myself through boot camp and end up feeling 10 years younger? Make that 20 lol. So, you are an inspiration to me, for sure!

I have to tell you guys that I am pretty much off HOUZZ now. I guess the thrill and excitement of helping people decorate has worn off, and I know I was spending waaay too much time on this darn ipad. But, I love the reunions and chats on this thread, and also a couple of others who re-appear occasionally. So, hello to everyone who sees this. I miss you, but I don't miss Houzz!
  • Debbie
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren

I was spending way too much time on here, too. And spending way too much money! LOL! Mel was getting a little tired of my decorating, too. I'm still going to paint the master bedroom and Lauren's room. Other than that, I'm focusing on decluttering and simplifying my house. I am seriously getting into cooking now. I've gone almost completely organic and I don't eat any processed foods. I make everything fresh. I started buying only New Zealand grass-fed beef and lamb, free range chicken and wild Alaskan salmon.

Karemore, you don't need boot camp. You need to change your diet! I am following the Fat Flush Plan by Ann Louise Gittleman. This lady knows her stuff. She's big into detoxing and balancing hormones. I first discovered her about 15 years ago when I put on 30 lbs. while travelling. I lost it all in three months on her plan. You can read about her here:

http://www.fatflush.com/

http://www.annlouise.com/

I am so thankful every day that I am healthy and can still work out the way I used to. When I turned 50 in January, it really hit me that I needed to start taking better care of myself or I would end up with high BP or diabetes or something and be on meds. Now that I'm back into my healthy lifestyle and feeling great, I don't want to go back. I'm getting fit at 50!

• abbyjean
    vor 9 Jahren

Big hugs to you for all you have accomplished, Debbie.....AND because I have missed you! I snuck in a hug for karemore a few days ago when I happened to 'see' her. Isn't it funny, with how much time we were here and now it just seems like a break is called for, but it is all good. Just keep in touch with the good stuff as hard to go cold turkey on some friendships.

• karemore55
    vor 9 Jahren
    We're resting up while we wait for the big kitchen reno lol!

Btw, Deb, did Lauren have her sleepover birthday party?
  • Debbie
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren

I love you ladies! The kitchen reno is coming soon, I hope!

Lauren's sleepover party is next weekend. It will be fun! I'm taking them to a trampoline park then it's pizza and cake at home.

Lauren competed in the State Taekwondo competition two weeks ago and won Silver! She turned 12 on March 12th then competed in the 12-14 age group the next day. The girl who got Gold was 14. She was really good and Lauren gave her some good competition. Lauren was and still is hyped. She did good!

• karemore55
    vor 9 Jahren
    Oh wow, she has earned that pizza! I imagine her room must be decorated in medals by now? Good on her, and I hope that sleepover turns out to be the best birthday party ever!
  • Debbie
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 8 Jahren

Hi, ladies! I hope you're all doing well.

The fitness challenge officially ended yesterday, but that doesn't mean it's over for me! I didn't make my goal weight, so I'm going to keep plugging away at it. I've lost 15 lbs. and reduced my body fat by 5.5%! I've got to write an essay about my 90 day journey today and submit it along with before and after photos. I'm going to title it "Fit at 50!" A panel of judges will select the finalists. Wish me luck!

Happy Mother's Day!

• karemore55
    vor 8 Jahren
    Omigosh, Deb, you do indeed look very fit at 50! You have incredible focus and determination, and I admire you for that. You look fabulous! I love that you are going to continue on with your challenge.....you now have momentum working in your favour!

Yes, Happy Mother's Day to all who are on this thread! My Mother's Day includes a hike in Rose Valley, and hubby is taking over the kitchen (cooking and clean-up) all day, so that I can spend the afternoon in the garden. Oh - and I think I'm getting some flowers delivered at some point, but I'm not supposed to know that lol.
  • abbyjean
    vor 8 Jahren

Fit at 50....congrats to you for THAT as you totally are. Good luck with the essay part of this now, too.

Spent the weekend with kids and grandkids and life is darn good! I feel soooo blessed and wish the same for all of you!!!

• Ann
    vor 8 Jahren

Good for you Debbie! Happy Mother's Day ladies!

• Debbie
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren

I have to share my pretty! I used a PB reward and got five hydrangea stems for $17! Then I had a 20% off Pier 1 coupon and found this vase. Should I put anything else on the table or leave it simple with just the vase?

• karemore55
    vor 8 Jahren
    Hi Deb! Yes, it is indeed pretty - I love hydrangeas, especially blue ones! Have some white ones in my garden (Annabelles), that turn a gorgeous green color as the blooms age, but no blues or purples. If I lived near a PB, I'd go get me some like yours. Come to think of it, I am heading to Calgary next month......I wonder if I can squeeze some into my luggage?.....

Anyway, I think your vignette stands perfectly well on its own, but I can also see a small objet next to the vase - something that makes you smile everytime you see it.

Here are a couple of examples.....these would make me smile for sure, but you know I am I to birds lol.
  • abbyjean
    vor 8 Jahren

karemore....had no idea you loved birds, too. I started out with them in one room and now they are in three. Maybe a chippy white one???

• karemore55
    vor 8 Jahren
    The weird thing is, I am actually afraid of pet birds that are allowed to flit around the house. I remember a lady showing me her pet bird, which she held in her palm, and then the bird swooped over to perch on my shoulder. I just about had a heart attack - and I think the bird did too, from all my screaming lol.
  • abbyjean
    vor 8 Jahren

When I was a little girl....long long ago.....I had an aunt and uncle that kept birds in their home and I hated going there. I was afraid the birds would poop on me....they did on my brother's shoulder and I just was not going to be a part of that. But I got two wired metal cloches with birds on the top and the love in my home started right there.

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.