Houzz Logo Print
leshabbychic

I need HELP decorating my tiny family room !!!!

Le Shabby Chic
vor 9 Jahren
zuletzt bearbeitet:vor 9 Jahren
Hi there! I need your help, your expert opinion on something that is keeping me up at night.... Decorating our tiny family room. We recently put in built ins and I'm feeling so so about them because they dramatically changed the space, but now I don't know how to arrange our furniture!

We have a massive bulky, in my opinion, ugly brown couch that we purchased 2 years ago bit its sooooo comfortable!!! It fit the space of our last home perfectly, but we've moved across country and downsized considerably.... Now this ugly beast doesn't fit in with our new found love of country chic, shabby chic, rustic DIY, southern style.

We are open to selling it because half of it is in our garage at the moment and it just doesn't work.

My other dilemma is furniture placement. The tv has to stay above the fireplace because that's the only space that works for the space. The other item that needs to stay are the curtains i just purchased.

My inspiration for the space was from Red Door Blog.... I just love her style!!!
http://reddoorhome.blogspot.com/2012/09/family-room-photo-shoot-published.html

I have the stripe rug similar too, the one in her photo as well.
I purchased the bergere chairs on Craigslist and painted one white, but now I'm not sure if I even like the white on it... I'm thinking of putting them in our master bedroom.... So I'm open to other chair ideas :)

Bottom line I desperately need help with the following, while making everything livable, accessible, and kid and pet friendly!

1. Conceal the massive tv
2,Decorating above the built ins so it is clean and simple and not so cluttered
3. Furniture suggestions
4. Furniture placement
5. Wall art
6. Different face on the fireplace ie. stone, tile or brick
7. Accessorizing

Please help so that I can FINALLY get a good night sleep and live in piece :)

Kommentare (84)

• Le Shabby Chic
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    abbyjeam: the comment before last was for you about the sofa placement :)
  • Le Shabby Chic
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    cf-raines-interior-design: all very good suggestions! Thank you kindly!
  • abbyjean
    vor 9 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 9 Jahren
    Place the sectional back on the wall, but centered this time, which it almost was before. Now you can enjoy the tv right where it is. Leave one chair where it was, beside the fireplace, on the chaise side of the sectional. Now I am wondering if the other chair could go over by the window, angled toward the tv with room for a small round table. You decide where it can go so there is room to easily walk in to the room. I like the red accents in the room, but also make sure to have some blue to give the drapes a reason for being there.
    Le Shabby Chic hat abbyjean gedankt
  • Le Shabby Chic
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    One more of the bare wall
  • abbyjean
    vor 9 Jahren
    Putting the sectional back on that wall will also allow you to place a great piece of art there, with all your accent colors in it.
  • abbyjean
    vor 9 Jahren
    Is there room for the white console on the dining wall, living room side? To the right of the opening?
  • Le Shabby Chic
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    I wish!!! I was thinking that earlier before moving everything around :(
  • abbyjean
    vor 9 Jahren
    Is there a chance it could work behind the sectional?
  • Le Shabby Chic
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    That's were I have it right now and its kind of wide... It's an eye sore when you walk in.... I have a slimmer long sofa table hanging out in the garage that I can put behind there. I definitely want to showcase the console table so it might make its way in the dinning room or our master bedroom :) thank you for the suggestion!
  • abbyjean
    vor 9 Jahren
    It would be awesome if it would work right there in your dining room, as it kind of has that look to it. And a longer slimmer one in the garage? WOW! Think you just got some room in the garage as that piece needs to come on inside. Then a lamp maybe fit on it and that great floor lamp can go beside a chair.
  • Le Shabby Chic
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    We downsized from a home with a loft, pretty room and generous living room.... We just never used any of the spaces so our garage is full of furniture.... But a lot we've sold already :) we wanted rooms that were livable instead of rooms that were decoration lol but it sure is different when you opt for something smaller.... Ohhhh the struggles lol

this room is going to keep me up all night ha!
  • abbyjean
    vor 9 Jahren
    Fun to have a garage to go shopping in then. You have a beautiful home and in a few days, you will be happier as it is all working out.
  • groveraxle
    vor 9 Jahren
    Now that I see how the entry relates to the room, I'm modifying my recommendation a bit. Float the sofa facing the fireplace with room to walk behind. Place both Bergere chairs side by side with their backs to the window and a side table in between. Place them so the front edge of the chair seat is even with the plane formed by the arm of the sofa.
    Le Shabby Chic hat groveraxle gedankt
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    vor 9 Jahren
    The problem is this sofa,a smaller sectional would look better I like the one groveraxle posted but even better would be a sofa that compliments your lovely chairs,I think Abby Jean had the right idea if you go with a regular sofa with putting on the window side ...I think it needed to come forward more with the front edge of the sofa closer in ,tighten up the seating,then you could put a sofa table behind it,the coffee table needs to be where you can reach it from all seating.Try tightening up the area and see how it looks. P.S. I would love to see what is in the garage...pics???
    Le Shabby Chic hat Brandi Nash Hicks gedankt
  • groveraxle
    vor 9 Jahren
    Like so:
  • PRO
    UpStaging Interiors
    vor 9 Jahren
    Your room is quite spacious. Can you make a circular conversation area. You can adjust the couch only pull it away from the windows and more towards left of the room. Bring the chairs opposite to the fire place. You can use two ottomans or stools where you have your chairs right now to add some seating and use the space or even a bench. Try to bring the pieces little closer to each other. It should be an area where it is easy to converse with each other without feeling the need to yell and you can comfortably watch TV from all your seatings. The TV is a bit high i guess. I also feel your coffee table is small as compared to your couch and space.
    Le Shabby Chic hat UpStaging Interiors gedankt
  • Le Shabby Chic
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    Groveraxle: thank you for the visual! I'm definitely a visual type gal! Is it strange to have all that open space behind the chairs? I'm up to trying it though!!! Its such a narrow room that might make it come together! Thank you kindly!
  • Le Shabby Chic
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    Upstaging interiors: thank you for the suggestions... Are you saying move the couch kind of parallel to the entry? And leave the two chairs as they are and add some ottomans? Where does the bench go? I'm trying to paint a picture of it :)
  • Meghan
    vor 9 Jahren
    Looking to seeing the final layout! You have great style :)
    Le Shabby Chic hat Meghan gedankt
  • PRO
    UpStaging Interiors
    vor 9 Jahren
    my idea was same as Groveraxle with the difference that ur couch goes in place of his chairs and chairs go in pace of couch(referring to his drawing) and the open space on the right of couch gets filled by either ottomans or a bench.
    Le Shabby Chic hat UpStaging Interiors gedankt
  • groveraxle
    vor 9 Jahren
    leshabbychic, don't worry about the empty spaces behind the seating for now. The first order of business is to get an arrangement that allows for TV watching and conversation around your focal point. To that end, I would keep all the seating close around the fireplace. Here's another plan using a sectional.

Two things to note: I didn't know how large your space actually is, so I just used the default Icovia room at 24 x 16'. Second, the TV over the fireplace is going to be a problem because it really is too high. Husbands seem to like them there; yours might change his tune when he finds himself at the chiropractor one too many times.
  • Le Shabby Chic
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    groveraxle: you literally made me laugh out loud hahaha!

I like the sectional look too. I went and purchased some 'furniture movers' at lunch so that we could easily move around the beast of a sofa just to get an idea of flow... hopefully I can move around somethings tonight by myself :)
    Thank you for all of your help!!!! You are the best! I love the photos!!!! I'll take measurements of the space when I get home!

I think that we need to stick with a sofa that reclines for sure due to the height of the tv... but I can't for the life of me find a reclining sofa that has a tuffed or nailhead look that is fabric that reclines.

I really like this one but it doesn't recline making it a no go... and it needs to be 3 seats across....

Anywhoooo thank you again!!!
  • sarainitaly
    vor 9 Jahren
    You had made a comment that you loved your comfy couch, so I was trying to think of ways it could work for you, but if you aren't overly joyed with it, I would think about getting a new one, in a style you love, that fits your space. Also, one that would allow you to move TV to the opposite wall, so you could have fireplace on one end, and TV on the other. TV's over the fireplace are no bueno.

When I suggested trying the couch backed to the window, I didn't mean so close to the wall. This is more like I was suggesting, and some variations of Groveraxels suggestions (with a new couch):

It is hard to tell with photos, but it just looks way too spread out in the newest pics... :OS
    Do you have a rug elsewhere you can use temporarily to help you define the space?
    Le Shabby Chic hat sarainitaly gedankt
  • Tiffany Interiors
    vor 9 Jahren
    I don't see anything wrong with your current furniture placement if you are leaving the tv where it is now. If you move the tv you would have more options. With the current tv placement, moving the sofa anywhere else would make watching tv difficult. I think you should consider moving the tv. It's not a quick fix but if you move it, it will make everything else a whole lot easier. The built-ins are fabulous. I agree with the other houzzer who mentioned incorporating the tv on either side of the fireplace. You said your husband was concerned with the electrical placement which is a good point but can be resolved.
    Le Shabby Chic hat Tiffany Interiors gedankt
  • Tiffany Interiors
    vor 9 Jahren
    http://houzz.com/photos/396015
    Tv/fireplace/built in
    Le Shabby Chic hat Tiffany Interiors gedankt
  • Le Shabby Chic
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    Tiffany Interiors: Thank you so much for the advice. You bring up some very valid points :) The TV is 60" and will not fit in the cabinets. We spoke about getting a smaller one.... but how the cabinets were built they are all indiviudal and nailed together. We paid A LOT for them and I couldn't imagin cutting into them. Do you think on top of the cabinets with a smaller TV might work or would that look weird blocking the window?? I can't visualize. We a have smaller flat screen in our bedroom, but its not as high quality as the one above the mantel.... oh the dilemma!
  • Le Shabby Chic
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    sarainitaly: that couch is leaving just as soon as I find a new one!!! no question about that lol!!! I'll try moving everything closer together this evening to see how that looks :) Are you still thinking to put the TV on the opposite wall? what I refer to as the blank wall or leave it above the mantel?
  • groveraxle
    vor 9 Jahren
    The only reclining sofa worth a d@mn, IMO:
    E200 Sectional · Mehr Info
  • Le Shabby Chic
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    That's definitely cool but not the style we're going for ;)
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    vor 9 Jahren
    You can go to the art store and buy a set of canvas stretchers just a bit larger than your tv. Assemble them, and stretch and staple to the frame, a decorative, bright piece of fabric, marimekko etc.
    Hang this Over your tv when not in use...
    Le Shabby Chic hat sstarr93 gedankt
  • Le Shabby Chic
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    Okay living room rearranged two ways..... Which do you like better? Just for reference the couch is going bye bye as mentioned above :)
  • Le Shabby Chic
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    Here is the other way....
  • Le Shabby Chic
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    A few more of that angle
  • groveraxle
    vor 9 Jahren
    If you're keeping the TV over the fireplace, then the second arrangement works best.

BTW, I see your current sofa is a recliner. I doubt you will find a reclining sofa that is much different from this one, so don't be too quick to send it away.
  • abbyjean
    vor 9 Jahren
    Thing is, with the couch closer to the tv in this last arrangement, the higher the neck has to look to view the tv. The other way, the neck has to turn to view the tv. I think I like the couch against the wall.
  • Le Shabby Chic
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    So I'm swooning! In LOVE with this living room!!!! Plank accent wall, rustic mirror, red and blue mixed with rustic touches!!!!! But if I moved the tv off of the fireplace wall to the blank wall.... How to i style the tv on the wall it without it interfering with the flow of traffic? Suggestions?
  • Le Shabby Chic
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    Love the double couch look! Do you think it will work?
  • hambirg
    vor 9 Jahren
    I think the double couches would work! I also think you wouldn't have to really style the TV on the blank wall at all. You could put a narrow console under it or do the sliding barn door thing. Personally, I think if you have the means, the sliding barn door thing would be the way to go. Very cute and very much your style. The TV will just never look right over your fireplace. It's too big and it prevents you from doing lovely seasonal decorations on the mantle. Think of all the wonderful things you could do above the mantle! Talk the hubby into moving the TV. ;)

ETA- but I don't think the two couches are necessary. The chairs are gorgeous in the space. It really comes down to how you will use the space. If you both want to stretch out and watch TV there, then I think the two couches would be better.
    Le Shabby Chic hat hambirg gedankt
  • groveraxle
    vor 9 Jahren
    If you put the TV on the blank wall, traffic will necessarily have to pass between it and the seating. One other thing to consider: you will have no seating that directly faces the TV.

While I'm not a fan of TVs over mantels, I am even less a fan of them in front of windows, and I think at least one set of seats should face a TV directly.
  • sarainitaly
    vor 9 Jahren
    I love the couches and chairs flanking the fireplace. With this set up, definitely move tv to opposite wall. Laying on couch in that direction is good viewing! ; 0)

Couch facing fireplace looks nice, but I would put one chair on each side of fireplace. It looks empty to the right of fireplace with both chairs over on left.

I love the cozy area you created, and think you are on your way to thar wow room you wanted. The chairs are lovely!

as for what to do about tv, depends on how you use the room. Daily tv viewing? Occasional? A couple people or lots? Is this formal living room or tv room/family room? I would put it on wall opposite fp, cuz I think tvs over fireplace are no good! (I think I've said that once or twice! Hahah)

It looks like you have lots of room for a longer couch, or to move the whole area a little bit from the fireplace, if you want.

I think it is looking really good!
  • sarainitaly
    vor 9 Jahren
    Also, since you are replacing couch, one without a chaise, you can swap couch with chairs. The chairs might be framed nicely in front of the windows.
  • sarainitaly
    vor 9 Jahren
    Look at the family room from red door and notice what she doesn't have over her fireplace?Wink wink

You could do a faux cabinet like her tv storage unit on your opposite wall
  • Le Shabby Chic
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    So after many conversations and sleepless nights... we still haven't figured out what to do with this room. My husband definitly doesn't want the tv on the other wall and doesn't like the idea of turning your head to watch tv. We both perfer to look at our tv head on. He also mentioned that he wants to enjoy the built ins that we just got and feels that if we are looking in the opposite direction, we wont appreciate them as much.... also... we arranged the room over the past week to represent two couches and we found that we don't even snuggle together on the couch and we sit on opposite couches so we can lay out.... still at square on and not sure where to go from here..... feeling defeated!
  • tlparks
    vor 9 Jahren
    I haven't read through all the comments, but after reading your most recent post I might suggest that you go back to placing sofa directly opposite fireplace, move sofa away from wall towards tv, but not as far as you did before. I think you might could pull it away from the wall, just not as far.
    Le Shabby Chic hat tlparks gedankt
  • Meghan
    vor 9 Jahren
    Have you tried keeping your original layout and just scooting your couch forward? Keeping the chaise lounge connected. If space is tight on the side with the chaise, move both chairs to the one side. You have such a pretty room! Don't lose hope!
    Le Shabby Chic hat Meghan gedankt
  • Le Shabby Chic
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    I had one of my coworkers draw up something as she went to school for interior designing and has great taste. She came up with a l shape sectional layout that is much more slender but still comfy apposed to the big brown beast! Please see attached picture. What do you all think?
  • Le Shabby Chic
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    My only concern is the walkway from the front door down what I referred to as above "the blank wall"...
  • PRO
    Jimmy's Art Work
    vor 8 Jahren

Here are some ideas for wall art.

http://www.houzz.com/projects/1520302/wall-art

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    vor 8 Jahren

post from 2014!

• PRO
    Meaghan Gross Interiors
    vor 7 Jahren

I think you need a new sofa with more traditional styling. I like the idea of creating a seating area with the smaller sofa and the two existing chairs forming a "U" with a rectangular coffee table or even a chest. From there, I would place two comfy chairs in front of the fireplace with a shared ottoman. If you still have money left, Id love to see you add wood floors to match the dining so that the overall space feels bigger and more cohesive. Have fun! This is a cute room

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.