Houzz Logo Print
tommyflan

POLL: City or Countryside?

Tom Flanagan
vor 9 Jahren
It's an argument that won't ever die out - are you fit for the city or the countryside? Of course, alot of people say it's all about the stage of your life that you're in; the city for the young and the countryside for when you're older and settled. But this seems unfair, and if Woody Allen is anything to go by, it's a stereotype that's not always true.

So what do you choose - city life or country living? Cast your vote and leave us a comment as to why!
City-Life
Country-Living

Kommentare (36)

• Tom Flanagan
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    Funnily enough my family live right in between those cities in the countryside - and it's picturesque!
  • 163 hrd
    vor 9 Jahren
    Moving from the countryside to the city is the best thing I've ever done. Having to drive everywhere was such a burden. I love using public transport and being able to read or just relax on my journeys. I go out much more and have a better quality of life.
  • Lily Choi
    vor 9 Jahren
    This is a tough question. Can I have both?
  • Vivienne Sung
    vor 9 Jahren
    No matter how hard I try I can never quite love living in the city. I can't wait to get back out into the countryside :) Nothing quite like a beautiful view over English countryside to complete a perfect home!
  • Ffion Francis
    vor 9 Jahren
    City life while I can still keep up with it....but with plenty of long weekends in the countryside or back home in rural west Wales thrown in to keep me sane!
  • Gaynor Walsh
    vor 9 Jahren
    Luciana has it spot on, bit of both for me please!
  • PRO
    H is for Home
    vor 9 Jahren
    We live in a small town mid-way between Manchester & Leeds. We have Pennine hills, rivers and canals on our doorstep... a perfect location!
  • modernistlover
    vor 9 Jahren
    Nowhere near "old and settled" but left busy, noisy, aggression inducing and smoggy London for the rolling hills of Kent less than 6 months ago and loving the lush beauty I come upon at every corner. With the North Downs as a backdrop, green is definitely my new favourite colour! Besides, with fast trains into London I can travel in quicker than journeying used to take from my former stomping ground 'Sarf to North of the river!
  • sunnie2day
    vor 9 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 9 Jahren
    I've lived in the countryside in the US and here in the UK, and in some of the biggest metropolitan areas of the US - usually in the actual city as opposed to the suburban areas.

It's countryside for me and always has been - those concrete canyons in the US are OK to visit, and I do love London and Edinburgh here, but it's countryside for me and always will be!
  • Gemma Smith
    vor 9 Jahren
    No doubt, It's a city life for me. 4 days in the countryside and I'm ready to get back to the hustle and bustle. Obviously I'd still love a countryside weekend property to disappear to for a few days a month.
  • soozmacrae
    vor 9 Jahren
    I live on the edge of a town, but I do love popping on the train to Glasgow every so often.
  • f4tto
    vor 9 Jahren
    City for me! I love the country for a few days then I need to get back! A city with a beach would be my ideal
  • Sarah Alcroft
    vor 9 Jahren
    I'm with you, f4tto - a few days is enough before I'm missing the buzz and great architecture
  • PRO
    MODEL Projects Ltd
    vor 9 Jahren
    City. Born and bred Londoner.
  • abi3624
    vor 9 Jahren
    country living so bright so perfect so beautiful
  • Tony McIntyre
    vor 9 Jahren
    I would like a small village outside a large city, I currently live 15 miles away from Belfast, and that will do nicely!
  • PRO
    KIND Interiors & Exteriors
    vor 9 Jahren
    Both - work in the city and live in the country to recharge.
  • Average Jo
    vor 9 Jahren
    That is one idyllic countryside garden. What lovely planting of mature shrubs and trees. Is it a houzz photo?
  • PRO
    Worktops.co
    vor 9 Jahren
    I've lived slap bang middle of nowhere in East Sussex, straight from growing up in London and Essex, and I've also had the chance to live in Manhattan for a few months last year. Honestly it would be Country-side in the UK but out of the UK I'd probably go with City life.

Something about City life doesn't sit right in London and a recent trip back to another Country-side area that I lived it before made me very happy indeed!
  • Tom Flanagan
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    Hi @AverageJo - it is indeed! I've attached the link to the photo below for you :)

Traditional Garden · Mehr Info
  • Average Jo
    vor 9 Jahren
    Thank you so much, @Tom Flanagan... it's been duly filed in my virtual fantasy garden composite.
  • neotoma
    vor 9 Jahren
    Countryside. There are cities I love (Newcastle, Sydney, Leiden, London, Paris, Oslo), but to live I want space and greenery around. I do like a village or small town with a few essential amenities though. I think my ideal is a house out in the Tyne valley but within yomping distance of somewhere like Corbridge where there are shops and pubs (and excellent curry) and the train line to Newcastle and Carlise, but you are also in the wild.
  • PRO
    Outerspace Creative Landscaping
    vor 8 Jahren

City Life

• PRO
    Marshalls Tile & Stone Interiors
    vor 8 Jahren

Country for me.

• PRO
    Peter Bird Garden Design
    vor 8 Jahren

I prefer the countryside

• Bob Mattei
    vor 8 Jahren

We work in country gardens

• PRO
    Green&Blue
    vor 8 Jahren

We prefer the countryside but we're definitely fans of bringing elements of the countryside into your city space if you are city bound!

• PRO
    StoneTree Gardens
    vor 8 Jahren

no brainer

• PRO
    in-house design
    vor 8 Jahren

escape

• PRO
    SOS Gardens
    vor 8 Jahren

Both are beautiful

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    vor 8 Jahren

Hello Tom,

I do like cities but love the country too. So I'd have to say both.. I'm from Cambridge (a city with gorgeous countryside around) well if current development ever stops!) and miss how lovely it is there and my bike Gerty aka The Tank misses it too..... Brrrrriiiiinnng! Better than the northern line any day! :))

• PRO
    Progressive Renovations
    vor 8 Jahren

I prefer living in country side.. just drink your morning cup of coffee and watch trees, birds.. instead of having a tight London`s garden ;)

• User
    vor 8 Jahren

county life, less hustle and bustle and more scenery

• PRO
    Mosabox
    vor 8 Jahren

Always preferred countryside!

• PRO
Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.