Houzz Logo Print
leesa619

Help with exterior colors to go with beige-peach brick

leesa619
vor 8 Jahren

We recently bought this house and have never been crazy about the brick color.... it is a beige-peach-ish color.

When we bought the house the garage door and front door were white.... we felt everything looked very white-washed together and the house had no interest

We decided on a color palette we thought worked with the brick color but when we actually executed the colors it ended up being all wrong. The blue was too navy, the green was too 'pukey' and washed.... Overall looks very juvenile

So we are now on the hunt for a color that will make the house look like it has more character and is more sophisticated. We are also doing our roof in the next month or so and have the option to change that color. We will be working with IKO Cambridge Collection colors and are thinking to go with 'dual black' for the roof.

We have thought it might be better to paint the front door and garage door the same color as the front door is so far set back from the garage door. We are leaning towards Benjamin Moore Sharkskin as picture below with the dual black roof (note we plan on painting the white half-moon vent above garage door the same color as the garage door)...

Landscaping in the front will come next year but the other thing we are considering is staining the walkway and stairs in front of the house from the white to Behr Cobblestone Grey pictured below...

Please let us know your thoughts/ opinions... any help would be so appreciated!

Kommentare (47)

• fuzinav
    vor 8 Jahren

A traditional, and attractive combination is to stick with a light shade for your trim.

• citrineblueray
    vor 8 Jahren

We have a red brick house now. We're thinking to paint it in light beige/tan-ish yellow. We have seen old brick houses in tan-ish yellow (and some are light orange in color) bricks and they are all 'originals'. For feng shui energy, both hubby and I, we can use 'earth colors' like light yellow, light tan, beige, light brown or any sandy colors.

The roof we have now is dark brown and when it's time for us to change, we will use a lighter color as the current color absorbs too much heat and the bedrooms on the upper level is way too hot (even when the attic ventilator is working overtime).

Whatever color you wish to use for the roof, it will be nice to have the half moon, the same color as the roof. That way, it's easy and attractive to the eyes.

As for the front door/garage door, the front door is the 'mouth' of your home. Your home is like your physical body. The front door will bring 'nourishment' and enrichment to your house and those who live in there. Use a compass to find out where the front door is facing and use the color that is 'good' for that direction and that color will be good 'permanently' ... where you don't have to change it every year.

Same with the garage door, since it's also facing the same way. Most American houses 'stresses' a lot of 'importance' to the garage door but not the front main entry door to your home where your family resides. It would be a shame to not make full use of any nourishing energy by creating a lovely pathway to your front door.

Try to design a landscape where there's a path that will blend nicely with the energy of that direction which the front door is facing. Whatever good and nourishing energy that comes in, will also go into your home and not just the garage because your family is not living/playing and creating harmony in the garage but in your home.

Feng shui is an art in understanding 'chi/energy' and it's not a superstition/religion. It has helped my family and I, for most of my lifetime and it has worked very well. It's also a very flexible art where you get to re-decorate with almost any kind of decor and have fun with it.

• fnstf
    vor 8 Jahren

If this were mine, I'd de-stress (de-emphasize) the garage door by painting it as close to the brick color as possible. The trim would be a dark color- depending on what you decide for the roof. If you decide on black, then the trim should be black around the windows etc., and the front door should have a pop of color. If you were to keep the color you have now on the roof, I'd consider a deep hunter green for the trim. Either way, the front door should contrast with the rest- the trim and the roof. Imho.

• PRO
    PaintColorHelp.com Dallas
    vor 8 Jahren

I think the garage door, siding and trim should be the same color. A medium-dark gray that doesn't go blue or green would work. If Sharkskin is that, fabulous. And this may seem counterintuitive, but you might consider an orange or coral on the front door. If the brick has this tone anyway, work with it. Unless you just despise those colors. Be sure to sample any potential colors on large areas before buying the gallons.

• katscorvette
    vor 8 Jahren

since the brick is already painted, I would go with a warmer darker color. gray or brown. More earthy. I do like the color of the garage door, although if it were mine, I would put in a carriage door to give more interest.

• luxonline
    vor 8 Jahren

since its a very large house, it can stand out. So I would go for a matte black, because it gives depht and sophistication. Put some green plants here and there. Jotun has a black color called "subdued black" dont know the word in English, sorry. It has a satin finish. Putting earthy colors on that house would make it dull. Be bold, but u need some green trees around. that makes the colors pop more.

• damaton
    vor 8 Jahren

I agree with all comments. Black is too harsh, any grey would be fabulous. I would go with an orange that you love, especially for the front door. I like bold looks so I would do the rest in the same bold orange. But if you are timid, blend the trim & garage door with the brick.

• judybonner
    vor 8 Jahren

brick DARK gray/ white trim/ carriage garage door white /flower box of white hydrangeas in white flower boxes below high windows

• gr8daygw
    vor 8 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 8 Jahren

Dog Trot · Mehr Info

Around here I have noticed embellished trim for garage doors from the carriage doors to awnings with side columns or decorative supports.

RJ Elder Design · Mehr Info

Traditional Garage · Mehr Info

Atlanta Cape · Mehr Info

add some stone, larger light fixture over garage doors

Brick and Stone · Mehr Info

Or a higher impact light fixture over the door and consider putting stucco trim around your windows and above the garage door or use stone. There is so much you could do. A house across the street from us has a light pink brick and their trim is an off white leaning to a beige color that just glows, the roof is almost black and they have wonderful landscaping that really showcases the house. I noticed a lot of Houzz photos that have an abundance of tasteful trim on a monochromatic scheme. Your house needs jewelry of statement pieces such as light fixtures, planters with bright flowers in a deep pink color, trim around the windows and some wrought iron seating and urns or wood planters for front door. A decorative lamp post and complementing wrought iron decorative mailbox with more flowers. What I notice is a lack of landscaping and that can make all the difference in curb appeal. You could even stain the doors.

Nantucket Style Exterior · Mehr Info
    Love the simple landscape that packs a punch in this photo, the mix of materials, the driveway pavers. Could you do driveway stamped concrete to add texture and interest? Pale colors can be impressive with lots of texture as in this photo. Your house is beautiful and just needs the finishing touches, maybe before you paint your brick or do anything else you could landscape and add some trim and wrought iron or wood outdoor planters and seating to add texture to assimilate a complete look instead of just seeing the house itself standing there commando. Good luck! You have lots to work with.

• gr8daygw
    vor 8 Jahren

Your house almost has a Frank Lloyd Wright vibe, he never used tons of color but his use of texture upon texture and three dimensional visual depth are his curb appeal treasure. In this photo, there is little color but so much interest. If you can't add color go for texture and dimension.

Frank Lloyd Wright Prairie school, Oak Park style Architecture · Mehr Info

• drearossetto
    vor 8 Jahren

I don't have a suggestion with regard to color choices as I think that is very personal. However, I have a great idea for an exterior application. Please do yourself a favor and check out Vipeq USA, www.vipequsa.com. This is a sprayed insulated cork material. One of the key words being "insulated". It actually acts as insulation from the outside. So while this product is outstanding as an exterior application, and can be applied in any color you like, it happens to provide significant energy savings with regard to your utility bills. This product can be sprayed directly over brick giving any home an incredible facelift. Because cork is a natural thermal barrier, you will get greater efficiency with heating and cooling. The Vipeq cork material never exceeds 86 degrees farhenheit. Not only is this product a thermal barrier, but it is mold and water resistant and acts as an acoustic barrier. It can be sprayed on roof decks, over roofs and on interior walls and under floors as well. We plan to use this product as our exterior on our new home construction and are very much looking forward to it's look and performance. Good luck!

• PRO
    Paces Construction Co
    vor 8 Jahren

I'd consider sticking with earthtones for all trim and roof colors, maybe light browns to update the look most but work with current design. You may want to keep the contrast between these elements and the brick tone to a minimum, not exaggerate it. I would play up the higher pitch front gable by adding additional freeze board/molding below this. The gable louvre vent is undersized for the expanse of brick wall surrounding it, and is not the best design element to draw attention to with a strong contrast (color or tone) from the brick. Consider adding a 4-5" flex mold trim around and under this, and/or maybe a crosshead above the garage door to soften the stark lines, or panel shutters to all or just top windows (not just bottom). Don't accentuate the paneling over the front door, again make this blend in with the brick color. New garage doors in faux split door style, maybe cedar look, could be biggest change to add real focal point, but won't be "inexpensive". Good luck.

• grey_ghost1
    vor 8 Jahren

I would use Para's Blackfoot Trail P2109-05 on both the garage and front doors. It is a dark but warm greyish-brown. It works well to neutralize the peachy brick colour. For your shingles look at Timberline Canadian Driftwood.

Some landscaping with some colourful blooms will brighten up the front of your home.

Good luck!

• Joanne Loiselle
    vor 8 Jahren

Allez voir ce site pour vous inspirer : http://www.spray-net.com

• Cindy Mitchell
    vor 8 Jahren

My house is pink/salmon. It was so hard picking the right paint - went thru many greens and greys. Ultimately I used a dark grey, Gauntlet Grey by Sherwin William, and love it (but I have shutters and a little sidng where the garage was enclosed). Trim was just white. And, I got a new roof and used architectural shingles in Charcoal grey (by Camcridge) love it - it has enough light and dark variation and looks great with the house color. Off course you don't want you garage door a dark grey - I recently saw a house that used the dark color on the trim around the lighter color garage door - it looked excellent. Maybe you could do that using an Elder white or Repose gray for the garage door.

• Rhonda Rivard
    vor 8 Jahren

I think your home is coming along nicely. Nice earth tones. To add a little pop I would paint the front and garage door the same color - the lighter green and add darker green trim around all the windows and doors. Maybe replace the little emblem over the garage with a tree crescent or some other wall design you like. The piece in place seems small and not eye grabbing. As you landscape with foliage I bet the house will come to life and blend in with nature. Best of luck.

• barbra123
    vor 8 Jahren

I think Paces Construction Co. has good ideas all around. I have seen a lot of multimillion dollar homes with this peachy/creamy exterior which have used light trim, usually in a cream tone. and a light/medium textured brownish roof. They are beautiful. I also think the comments about using a carriage style wood garage door in a medium brown tone is a good idea. I agree with others that the black roof would be too dark. I like the idea of having some sort of light to medium brown/gray that would go with the wood garage door. Wait til the roof , etc. goes on and then pick a door color. I like a different color and not necessarily a match to other colors used. You could go with a wood similar to the garage door...or why not try some type of blue again? That was your first impulse so you must like it. Maybe go with a medium shade of aqua/teal, depending on the roof color. Blue is complimentary to the peachy color of the house. The navy you used was just too dark. Go gather a bunch of color cards in colors you like no matter what they are (blues, greens, oranges, etc.)! They are free!!! Then, stand away from the house and hold up all the different paint color cards til you find several you like. Then try a few colors you love. A little can of paint for the front door is cheap! ..... And do lots of landscaping!!! That will make the most difference of all.

• mahmoud_alinezhad
    vor 8 Jahren

Hi

I prefer the blue color for entrance door (second photo ) it is in contrast with bricks and looks like imposing .I agree on black roof that would be too dark and more warm.

• mrs1916
    vor 8 Jahren

I had a home with similar shades in the brick. We went with IKO's Driftwood colour for the roof, and BM's Nightshade for our door (it was a deep purple that reads more brown outside).

I think a black roof may be too much contrast.

Definitely test the paint outside. Colors can look completely different!

• PRO
    Triangle Homes, LLC
    vor 8 Jahren

I think that the dark Navy is a better contrast than the "green" color and I would paint the garage door and front door the dark navy and possibly add some shutters to the front of the house in the same navy color. Leave the roof alone, it costs too much to change.

• newdiva2014
    vor 8 Jahren

I believe Sherwin Williams and other paint companies have software that allows you to try on colors using a photo of your home. You might try this to see what you like. I like the idea of adding details to the garage door for a "carriage house" effect and think you could accomplish this by simply adding the hardware and painting it, which would save some money.

• brettmiller19
    vor 8 Jahren

The brick is very nice and in great shape. What color is the mortar, white or an off-white? This is the color your garage door should be and add a few embellishments such as the carriage house hardware, or decorative lanterns. I wouldn't paint the door, I'd spend the money on an updated wood door in a rich, dark mahogany with some glass in it. The contrast between the light beige brick and dark mahogany will really add interest and draw you into your entryway. If you go with a color on your garage door, you're emphasizing the garage door, but you want your front door to welcome visitors, something that says "come on in" such as something like this with a big pretty wreath.

• Beth
    vor 8 Jahren

What about a burgundy-rose color that would play up the pinkish tone of the brick instead of trying to off-set it. I don't know if I can photoshop a picture but I'll try.

• Beth
    vor 8 Jahren

OK, please forgive the crap job at Photoshop. I've never taken a class and I don't use it any more like I did before I retired so I've forgotten anything I learned. But I tried a sort of burgundy - couldn't get exactly the color and 3 pots of a plant that would bring up that color. You really need an imagination to see what I was thinking but it took me some time, so hey, I'm sharing.

• doods
    vor 8 Jahren

Beth that is great, totally transforms the house, grounds it, and the burgundy is lovely with the brick!

• micromezza
    vor 8 Jahren

I also like the idea of a burgundy for the front door. Get small samples to try some out. I wouldn't go too purple-y; be careful with that....go more earthy. Or, you could go with a dark brown. Either door color would look nice with shades of gray/brown for the garage door, siding and trim, with a dark gray roof. Grays and browns may be quite polished. I like the pro idea of enlarging the vent over the garage. Vent should be trim color. You can get carriage hardware to screw on top of your garage door and would give you the look for much less.

Move the sample colors, whether you paint spots, or use color cards, around the different sides of your house, and look at them in different times of the day for lighting. Mull over them for at least a week as you narrow your selections.

I have a stucco house and ended up painting the body a color called, Cardboard, and the trim a bright creamy white, front doors dark brown. While the color sounds like a nice medium brown, it was REALLY GOLDEN! haha! Hubby and sons were all very unsure as the paint went on, but after it was all done, they liked it! I've gotten several complements on the combo. It can be a bit scarey!

Interesting suggestion for orange/coral. I'd rather use that in the landscaping.

Good luck! Have fun!

• rsdrn1128
    vor 8 Jahren

The colors of the house trim won't do anything until you get some larger wall sconces for your lights on the garage and at the front door....too small and not very exciting..(nothing personal just my opinion)

• micromezza
    vor 8 Jahren

Oh! and when you paint your door, paint the window trim on the door the same color. ;)

• suezbell
    vor 8 Jahren

A black roof will fade unevenly, more on the sunny side. If you're staying with shingles, consider a dark gray instead.

Because you want color, at least check out the modern metal roofs that have a warranty as long as any shingled roof and plenty of options for colors that, to my knowledge, don't fade. The lighter brick would look great with some of the bolder colors for your roof with a different shade of the same color as your trim.

Before you redo your roof, consider changing the roofline over the front door a bit for a more covered stoop.

If you paint the brick, remember that anything that is painted eventually needs repainting and accumulated paint... ick.

• sheilaskb
    vor 8 Jahren

I like the photo with the door in the dark color, which I take to be dark blue. However, I would suggest white or off-white in trim, shutters, and the garage door to play down the peach in the brick.

• kmbilson
    vor 8 Jahren

I agree with bretmiller19 about changing out the front door but also getting rid of the semicircle vent over the garage. All the windows are long and modern and the entrance door should follow suit. With the door a nice wood tone, install an arbor about two feet wide in the same color of wood framing out the double garage hiding the vent (vent could be painted to blend with the brick color so it wouldn't be so obvious.) Garage door could stay the nice light shade of green or whatever. With landscaping filling in the complete the coziness, the house would be more attractive.

• mexicarita
    vor 8 Jahren
    I think charcoal gray-not too dark though- with a brightly colored door, maybe eggplant would be beautiful!
  • gr8daygw
    vor 8 Jahren

As far as purple colors go there was a color back in the day called "Raisin" I am not sure who the manufacturer was, maybe Duron who was purchased by Sherwin Williams a long time ago. I have thought of that color so many times as perfect for those who like purple but often cannot find a color that looks sophisticated enough for home exterior doors. It was the perfect mix of purple, burgundy, gray-brown for a soft interesting color that didn't scream Disney playhouse front door.

• User
    vor 8 Jahren

Paint your garage door the same navy, it's a gorgeous color with your brick. There's no hiding your garage door, so embrace it instead with color and a small roof addition. Match the vent (over the garage door) color to the brick or siding to make it disappear. Add some landscaping. Don't change your roof to gray. I know it's what everybody loves now (me too!) but it isn't the best color for your brick; stick with warm colors.

• knitz
    vor 8 Jahren

Would you consider a very light color roofing, as in silver-gray? The darker roof appears "weighty" and visually seems to push the house down into the ground. With such a lovely light brick house, why not a light roof? I'd avoid dark garage door colors in favor of something similar to the color of the bricks and use a bold color on the front door, perhaps a deep dark bluish grape. As your trim appears to be white or very pale beige, I wouldn't accentuate the garage door. But that's just me. An edge of shrubs, perhaps something that turns bright red in the fall, around the cement in front of the (mostly) right side of the house would dress up the look.

• Susan Capelouto
    vor 8 Jahren
    Paces Construction and gr8tday are spot on with the great suggestions! The house has Prairie style lines that Wright made so popular. The missing element is natural wood. Since the garage is so prominent, make the investment in a pretty wood- look garage door and find a pretty door that you might paint a mossy green. I love the doors that have the 12 panes at the top. This might be too open if you can see through the house from the front door. Check out the doors on prairie style homes. The landscape will make a huge difference in making all of the elements blend. Don't forget to change the outside lights to prairie style...make sure they are large enough. Driftwood looks like the best choice in a roof color. We are getting a new roof next month. We called the company and they gave us addresses to check out with the colors we want to see.
  • Suzanne Grose
    vor 8 Jahren

My inclination is to leave the brick as is. It is a nice light beige tone. I would try black around all the window casings and garage. Paint the garage door the same color as the brick. Perhaps a beautiful rose color (or your favorite color) front door would look great. Put lg. black numbers over the garage door and a long window box along the bottom (right) windows on the ground for greenery in the winter and colorful flowers during the summer. A skilled landscape designer is needed to enhance the entire setting. It begs some trees, large rocks, plantings, etc.

• brettmiller19
    vor 8 Jahren
    Here is the style door and wood color, granted it's a double door, imagine it as a single.
    The word sophistication is what stood out in the question for help and this is much more sophisticated than a purple door.
    Depending on your budget, you can get carriage style garage doors in wood to match as well. Then some nice lighting, including inexpensive landscape lighting on the front of the house will Reflect nicely on a rich wood and glass door. Your home is gorgeous and with the right mix of color, texture and lighting, will look like million bucks. Good luck.
  • essmith2
    vor 8 Jahren
    I wouldn't bother changing the the brick and mortar color. My two cents.
  • Myrna Stevens
    vor 8 Jahren

If someone had said to me go navy or burgundy on front door and garage doors, I would have thought yuck! But seeing them as photoshopped by Beth and kiktx I am IMPRESSED! They both look great! I think you could do such a paint job with almost any color and it would look super.

• hefu
    vor 8 Jahren

The brick reminds me of sand, so why not go with a Caribbean or Mediterranean look? I agree with the idea of painting the garage door to exactly match the brick in order to blend in. Then do all the other trim in either a spring green or a turquoise, either bright or subdued depending in your taste. For example, something bordering chartreuse would look elegant or a light turquoise would look lively and fun. Do the window frames, the paneling above the front door, and the half-moon window, too. Don't leave white. As far as the roof, you could continue with the theme and choose a rich wooden brown or a terracotta red to look like Italian roof tiles.

• pblouise
    vor 8 Jahren

Such a good idea to play around with photo shop and see what you like. I think the dark grey light grey white combo would be very contempory but to me the best look for your brick is rich dark browns with a orangy red door. that might not be the colors that are in right now but will come back quick enough. everything does!

• Judy Woods
    vor 8 Jahren

I have a house in exactly the same color brick....pinky/beige. The builder had the trim a 2 tone, cream and beige. But it was time to repainted. We put on a new roof "weathered gray", pretty much a gray, brown, taupe mix, which looks great and we bought the 50 yr. warranty, heavily textured, so it sort of looks like cedar. Took 2 years to come up with a trim color...everything looked too light, or too pink. Ended up with Ben. Moore Briarwood. It's a bit too dark for me, but at least it doesn't look pink. Due to cost, we did not do a 2 tone trim, just did it all in Briarwood. I am pretty happy with it. Hope this helps.

• dianaseminutin
    vor 8 Jahren

In your comment you mentioned feeling that the house is "white washed" and "juvenile". The difficult thing with having an exterior color that is a mid tone (like the suggested grey) is that in bright sunlight it will look just that, especially beside such a light brick. Because you are in the process of looking for a new roof color, you have a perfect opportunity to coordinate all your "accent" exterior elements. If it's not in the budget currently to update all the trim, updating the garage door, front door, and roof will make a big impact regardless. See attached inspiration photo and a quick Photoshop rendition showing how much more contrast can be achieved by using a darker color. I selected a brown to pull out the warmth from the brick - going black or grey is in both instances going to wash out the home as the brick it is not in that color way - the correct shade of brown (with a de-saturated tone) will make the brick more vibrant. A great shade of brown is the SICO 6183-83 Raven's Feather (if you have to go BM, they can color match anything or recommend something similar). Keep in mind exterior colors always look lighter on your home than on the paint chip. When selecting exterior paint colors, never do it inside, always take it outside. Also keep in mind in different weather every color will appear differently, so have a look on a cloudy day, on a sunny day, and so forth.

Traditional Patio · Mehr Info

Inspiration photo - see light brick and dark trims.

This photo updates the garage door and door, as well as darkening the roof. If desired, all the trim pieces (at windows, the louver, etc) can also match the doors, like the above inspiration photo.

• libertyreno
    vor 8 Jahren

What colour did you end up painting? I have the same bricks and the same dilemma!!

• rsdrn1128
    vor 8 Jahren

I'd consider painting the doors and trim the same color as your fence....

Gesponsert

Laden Sie die Seite neu, um diese Anzeige nicht mehr zu sehen

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.