Houzz Logo Print
sharpleft

landscaping opinion solicited

I'm looking for a suggestion for a shrub about 6 foot tall that will tolerate about 5 hours of sun a day but be OK if the overshadowing trees to the south-west keep growing and incrementally give more shade over the coming years. (I'd like a semi-permanent solution).

Fruits or flowers preferred but maybe nice dark leaves would be good enough.

I suspect not enough sun for a dwarf fig or a large rose bush? Too much sun for a hydrangea or camellia? I think all "small" magnolias are still too big.

I am looking for a semi-permanent, low chemical alterative. I am not opposed to pruning or other maintenance. I don't mind waiting a few yrs for it to grow.

Am I going to be stuck with a butterfly bush?

All suggestions appreciated.

Kommentare (4)

• User
    vor 8 Jahren

Orchard,

Just a suggestion, a "Chindo" viburnum. It is evergreen, actually prefers only part sun, blooms in spring with the most intoxicating white flowers. Nice shrub, easily pruned, grows rather fast if happy. It is hardy to zone 8, but you may want to try it, it might make it in your zone.

Even planting Elephant ears, you will have to water them, you could get the big black ears, they will love part sun, a little composted cow manure, they will get the size you want, and then for the winter, dig the bulbs up and stick in garage til the next spring. They are awesome when they get big.

• dottiecarrano
    vor 8 Jahren

If 6 ft is your preferential height and the bed or border has the depth for something equally wide you might like the burgundy leafed loropetalum which brings color to the spot when the shrub isn't blooming. I was going to recommend vitex, which when kept to under 8 feet is a pruning issue at least twice a year. Neat thing is when the first blooms are spent to seed, trimmed off the side shoots develop for reblooming as often as you trim off the spent blooms.

Vitex is a favorite because it's a feeding station for all the pollinators. Not certain that it wouldn't require at least 3 hours of direct sun.

Chinese jessimine is a nice almost everblooming (yellow and very fragrant) shrub that fits your 6' height preference. It also gets 6' wide and wants regular watering until established.

• countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
    vor 8 Jahren

There are roses that do fine with some shade or even more. If you ask on the Rose Forum, I am sure you would get some suggestions. I can't because I have a full sun yard, all day, every day.

• PRO
    Linda Greenberg Landscape & Design, LLC
    vor 8 Jahren

As a professional landscape designer, there are several possibilities, but one of my favorites that offer both texture and fragrance (light citrus) is the Fragrant Tea Olive. They do grow taller, but keep them hedged back to your desired height. Also Upright Yew or Taxus intermedia 'Hicksii' is perfect for an evergreen hedge. It's a classic simple design.

Linda Greenberg, APLD
    704-995-7173

linda@lglandscapes.net

Gesponsert

Laden Sie die Seite neu, um diese Anzeige nicht mehr zu sehen

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.