Houzz Logo Print
edubya

What will be the next purchase for your home?

Emily H
vor 8 Jahren
zuletzt bearbeitet:vor 8 Jahren

Entry · Mehr Info

Excluding grocery items, what is the next thing you plan to buy for your home?

I keep a running list of things the house needs and a new lamp and side table for our family room are currently topping the list. You?

Tell us! (photos encouraged)

Kommentare (191)

• hart46
    vor 8 Jahren

Landscaping!

• gaddye
    vor 8 Jahren

We have recently downsized into a lovely one floor bungalow. We are looking at replacing the builders lighting, which is ok but not our style very soon!

• dawnrr
    vor 8 Jahren

a second refrigerator to put in the garage.

• peggyhobin
    vor 8 Jahren

Skylight(s) for living room/dining room with only north-facing windows. Trees beyond those windows, at property line, are needed for privacy from 2 story house. How does everyone feel about solatubes? I'm thinking of two placed in line over a sofa-back table. There are linen-like shades that rim the circular openings so they aren't too stark. I hate a dark home!

• HalloBlondie-zone5a
    vor 8 Jahren

Just did a new bedroom for my 3 year old. Paint, new furniture & a photo wall mural. Still need a couple of small art/pics for walls, pirate/goonies themed. Also needs a new light fixture. It's a builder basic. In fact almost every light fixture in the house needs an update. That cost adds up fast. So we are replacing lights as we redo each room.

Next project is to finally develop photos for wall frames. I have about 25 picture frames for hanging & I have not printed anything current in 5 years.

Saving for new garage doors. Again ones we have are builder basic, already starting to rot after 8 years.

Adding extra garden beds in the spring, so will be purchasing plants, compost & mulch.

• Kaitlin
    vor 8 Jahren
    Tankless water heater. We almost bought a new washer and dryer yesterday, but then we realized the front loading machines are too deep for our upstairs laundry closet.
  • Trisha Goodwin
    vor 8 Jahren

A new kitchen and three new bathrooms! We hope to move into our (new to us) home in a few weeks time and the builders are due in 6wks to knock through kitchen to dining room and update bathrooms etc. Terrified by all the decision making, rather than excited at the moment!

• Joan Roman Pavlick
    vor 8 Jahren
    I am going to be adding in up cycled furniture to use for storage in my art studio I am currently redoing from my former tv room
  • LH M
    vor 8 Jahren
    Museum molding for the ever changing and continually expanding art collection.
  • sheidt
    vor 8 Jahren

I'm going to replace kitchen counter tops, flooring, cabinet hardware and lights. After I recover financially I will replace my king size bed.

• J J
    vor 8 Jahren

Sheidt, haha...maybe you should replace your bed first, so that you can get a good nights rest from working on the kitchen!?!

• dorismolly
    vor 8 Jahren

Absolutely a foam mattress. My old mattress is gonna retire after a long long period (about 15 ys). And recently I have been looking at this one with removable cover: http://www.langria.com/8-inch-essential-memory-foam-mattress.html

Just not sure and is there anyone have any experience with this brand?

• myosotis
    vor 8 Jahren

A new kitchen and master bath.

• Barry Thompson
    vor 8 Jahren
    Just bought new artwork, but not sure how to hang it.
  • Sheryl Horton
    vor 8 Jahren
    Eric- ruck,
    Many dishwashers, such as Bosch, have adjustable height legs. ( check specifications) Perhaps you can disassemble the existing dishwasher, fill in the flor underneath with plywood & shims, then instal the new dishwasher.
  • Vicki Magee
    vor 8 Jahren

I want to re-do my front porch. I need ideas for it too.

• Ruthie
    vor 8 Jahren

Kitchen Table: pedestal that is made of wrought iron with a sturdy round or oval top.

• ceramand
    vor 8 Jahren

Radiant floor heat

• User
    vor 8 Jahren

a roof

• Donna
    vor 8 Jahren
    A sun tunnel skylight for my very dark, windowless entryway. It's too narrow for sidelights and the door and beautiful molding above extend all the way to the 9-foot ceiling, so no way to place a window above the door. Right now without additional light it's a black hole in an otherwise light-filled house.
  • Benita Brooks
    vor 8 Jahren
    Just purchased a house in October of 2015 that was built in 1960. Very view updates were made prior. Our first d.y.i. will be giving one side of our double-sided fireplace a face lift with brick veneer facing, repaint walls in the dining room and living room also pulling up carpet and changing it to hardwood floors. I hope to have this completed by December first our first Christmas dinner.
  • Chris
    vor 8 Jahren
    There are so many projects needed it's difficult to find a place to start. What I really want is to replace my privacy fence that's falling down and enclose my side porch so I have a sunny retreat in winter and a cool spot to relax in the summer.
  • elveness11
    vor 8 Jahren
    Fixing our garage before the roof collapses . Hopefully getting it sided 2.
  • Suzanne Melton
    vor 8 Jahren

This is what an EMPTY 10x30 storage unit looks like! Just finished emptying, sweeping, and vacuuming it this afternoon.

Of course, now we have boxes in every room of the house.

Last month, Dave built an 8'x20' loft in the garage. It's almost full and we have more boxes on the garage floor and still in the cube van.

He'll spend the next month or so organizing the garage and I'll spend the next month or so emptying boxes.

...but, first, I'm going to take a nap.

• Mary Creighton
    vor 8 Jahren

The next thing I am buying for our house is a new faucet and drain assembly for our clawfoot tub. The tub also needs to be refinished. The original finish is gone on over 1/3 of the tub. (Not planning on it being done as a DIY project!) Does anyone here have any experience with that? How long does it last, cost, etc,?

• Barry Thompson
    vor 8 Jahren
    Donnahansenid, I put in a sky tube and changed it to a reflective one. It works like a charm and my dining/kitchen area is flooded in brightness. Good luck!
  • momjk
    vor 8 Jahren

@ kneupper: yes to fibreglass doors. Sister put in 3 yrs ago on farm in central Alberta and loves it. Got wood texture and managed, with help from manufacturer, to find a stain that worked with their remodeled exterior. Looks just like wood.

So then I had new door with 3/4 window (with blinds between glass panes) installed last summer, and also love it. Most door manufacturers in town here recommending fibreglass over wood or metal here now.

• momjk
    vor 8 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 8 Jahren

lulyon: there are lots of gray bathroom fixtures out there. My 1989 house has 2 gray baths with beautiful gray china sinks and co-ordinating taps. One toilet tank cracked though so replaced with a Toto low-flush a few years ago. Then updated ensuite toilet recently with Ultra-low flush from American Standard (and got rebate from municipality).

And my project this year will be new exterior finish below living room bow window. Only about 20" area by about 10' below window, currently just painted plywood with framed panels using interior baseboard! Put in new triple-glazed, argon-filled windows (for large N window in central AB) 5 years ago in white w/dark gray brickmold to go with planned dark gray slate rock. However, with bow shape, need 5 angled cuts that will be obvious so still looking for right rock product for this application.

• Barbara Soutas
    vor 8 Jahren

caelingl in 2014 I replaced ALL my interior doors with the craftsman style doors you show, except for two that were French doors. I LOVE them! This year I think we will finally do the master bedroom closet revamp to make it more efficient.

• J J
    vor 8 Jahren

earlier in thread I said my first purchase was lighting. Here it is...for my canning-food pantry!

• Barbara Larson
    vor 8 Jahren

Furniture etc is fine we need two new windows in the kitchen. They are the last windows we have not replaced in our home.

• PRO
    Lori Dennis, Inc.
    vor 8 Jahren

Living Room Drapes or Roman Shades

• Nelida Mejia
    vor 8 Jahren
    GE cafe stove, microwave, and dishwasher.
  • soccerates
    vor 8 Jahren
    Looking forward to a complete kitchen reno: marble and stainless counters, new appliances, lighting, new doors and drawers, refinish the floor and then paint. Keeping fingers crossed that 20 y.o. A/C doesn't croak in the middle of the project.
  • luisanad
    vor 8 Jahren

Currently finalizing the restoration of a very old house dating to the 1600s; with 1950's additions...really happy with the results so far and I've finally bought the kitchen......yey!

• Delora Dickey
    vor 8 Jahren

Not exactly Houzz-related, but we're looking for a generator for electrical outages and a 3200 psi power washer. Sometimes one has to postpone the new lamp and area rug for more practical - and immediate - needs.

• shofer1019
    vor 8 Jahren

kneupper. We replaced our old wood doors with fiberglass several years ago and hubby stained them to match our woodwork. They still look great and we have never had to touch them up. It helps we have a very deep front porch and storm door so weather never touches them.

• shofer1019
    vor 8 Jahren

After a total redo of our kitchen, everything is done but re-covering our kitchen chairs with a designer fabric to better blend with our new color scheme. Also, I am planning on replacing an older large wall flower arrangement in my foyer with something more contemporary and lighter.

• karimrkhoury
    vor 8 Jahren
    Buy some new york and monuments paintings and put like 3 on each wall and make a cool style
  • Jacqueline Webster
    vor 8 Jahren

Replacing the last owners diy concrete counters in the kitchen!!

• Geri Scott
    vor 8 Jahren
    I am just about to start a major renovation, relocating the kitchen and adding a first floor bathroom and laundry room. Custom kitchen cabinets, granite countertop, butcher block island, porcelain tile floor with radiant heat, new appliances and laundry machines. I've been waiting to do this for years and am going a bit crazy with all the shopping and decisions involved!
  • kgoodwin50
    vor 8 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 8 Jahren

I've already purchased beautiful thin veneer stone for my fireplace remodel - but I'm having a difficult time finding the perfect hardwood mantel that's rustic, yet a little sophisticated...I'm finding a lot of straight, thick extremely rustic mantels which is not what I'm looking for.

• PRO
    KHB Interiors
    vor 8 Jahren
    Hi

A brand new topiary for one of my gardens.
    And for inside a new commercial size teapot !

Have a great night!

KHB Interiors in New Orleans
  • Janet B.
    vor 8 Jahren
    Going to a Bldg Materials Auction this weekend with the husband. To buy what, I have no idea. This all new to me, but I am getting excited! I love a project!!
  • Suzanne Melton
    vor 8 Jahren

cribreno4140: We go to a lot of auctions (maybe two or three a week, in person or online).

The "trick" is to look at something interesting and thing, "What can I turn this into?"

• foreverfarm11
    vor 8 Jahren

New counter stools for my island. I bought some very expensive ones a little over a year ago and they look great, but because of the flooring and set up, they don't work because the bottoms are not feet. Doesn't work, so this time around I am going to just go with a basic counter stool - black seat - no back

• Liza Gossett
    vor 8 Jahren

Imho22...you waited 14 years to find the right person for the job....I'm new at this & want to remodel my kitchen & masterbath...what can the extent of an interview be to determine the right person for my job?

• Cindinfocus
    vor 8 Jahren

Peggyhobin, my friend put several solatubes in her new home. They are wonderful. You won't need two over your couch. The light that comes in is spread over a large area. She lit two large interior bathrooms and a dark corner of a very large room with one light in each area. I'd like to use them too, but my husband won't cut holes in the roof. I see his point, but still would do it, it adds so much light to an interior room.

• katinparadise
    vor 8 Jahren

Tomorrow I'm having a full brass leaded glass insert removed from my front door and replacing it with rain glass. In two weeks, I hope to have replaced the carpeting in my living room and dining room with new laminate which will eventually be put into 4 bedrooms and a hallway as well. On Tuesday I'll be putting down a deposit on new kitchen cabinets so that I can completely remodel my kitchen. There's a lot going on in a short period of time and I'm looking forward to every bit of it!

• PRO
    Intechis
    vor 4 Jahren

Am planning to buy Dining Table next.

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.