Houzz Logo Print
mrpickle10

Help, what color of front door?

mrpickle10
vor 8 Jahren

I am having the exterior of my Cape Cod home updated soon including a new front door and new bay windows, add landscaping under the windows and white window boxes under the small windows. I am trying to create more of a cottage look. Keep in mind my house faces north and never gets direct sunlight on the front of the house plus I have lots of trees. The house is shingle style aluminum siding in a chocolate brown color. The style of door I was considering was a craftsman style door in either fiberglass wood grain pre-finished stain or a smooth fiberglass door that I would have painted. I haven't decided if I want a storm door again as I rarely use it. Anyone have any suggestions for a door color to go with brown siding...stained or painted? What color of stain? What paint colors? Ideas? Help!

Kommentare (3)

• acm
    vor 8 Jahren

I would go for a bright color to add some cheer -- a red or a bright blue, or even an apple green. All of those seem more fun than stained wood. I'd also remove the tragically undersized shutters, but maybe that's a discussion for another day...

• PRO
    Textbook Painting
    vor 8 Jahren

Hi mrpickle. Front door color is such a personal thing. I would lean toward a lighter and brighter color because the siding is so dark as is the roof color. I think the current white color is too much of a contrast with the very dark brown. I think a light (very light) stain could work but I am leaning toward a paint since you already have so much brown. My first thought is a shade of yellow or light blue.

I would also suggest reconsidering the bright white window boxes and shutters. As I mentioned above, I think the white is too strong of a contrast (plus it may be hard to keep clean with all of the trees). I would think about matching the flower boxes with the front door color. For the shutters maybe a light gray/tan almost similar to sandstone. It would still have a nice contrast but it would be a little softer.

Hope I've helped a little. Color is such a personal thing as I mentioned. Good luck with your project!

• mrpickle10
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren

ACM.... thanks for providing colors that I can see ON the house...I don't typically go for real bright colors but do love pops of color. Your right...house needs something cheery. I would consider red a possibly though. I tend to steer toward more softer bright colors and earthy colors. Also, didn't realize my shutters were that tragic.....please elaborate.

Textbook P.....Yes, your right, front door color is a personal thing as I want it to reflect my personality and home decor style. I am a crafty creative type and my home decor is a kinda rustic vintage shabby chic style. I have to admit my very first color choice when I imagined my front door as a different color was a soft tiffany blue perhaps. What shades of blue would you suggest? I like certain shades of yellow too but have trouble imaging with siding. As for the white shutters, etc. they will be staying for now. I personally like the the crispness of the white. It never looked to stark to me but then again the house color looks a bit darker in the photo than in reality. It is closer to a milk chocolate brown rather than very dark chocolate. .

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.