Houzz Logo Print
forshoppingonline

Can I install two large single bowl sinks side by side?

Pink Poppy
vor 8 Jahren

The way I do dishes, I MUST have a double sink in my kitchen - one filled with hot soapy water to soak and scrub in and the other to collect then rinse the items after washing. I don't want a single bowl because the rinsing will dilute my soapy water. I also prefer two bowls so I can prep food in one while soaking in the other, or to keep really greasy or raw-meat-soiled stuff separate from the rest.

I want the "hot soapy water" side to be a good generous size for washing large items. The rinsing side doesn't need to be as big but I still need it to be a good size to fit the large items when rinsing. My dilemma is that none of the 60/40 double sinks I've seen have those kind of dimensions. You just can't seem to get a double sink that has as large a bowl as a single.

So unless there are any double sinks out there with generous sizes for both bowls, I thought: why not get two single bowls and install them side by side?

The sinks would be undermount so I'd have to leave a strip of countertop between the two bowls. Would this kind of set up be structurally unsound? Are there any other solutions?

Kommentare (22)

• Fori
    vor 8 Jahren

I've seen that setup in show rooms and to me, it's just asking for a spill. I suppose you'd get in the habit of turning water off before moving the faucet from one side to the other and as long as nobody else tried using it, it could be okay...

You might have to have extra support on the cabinets or counter substrate to hold the middle edges but I'm sure that's doable.

I do understand your problem. There just isn't the right sink out there! Just in case someone knows something you missed, what material are you looking at for a sink?

• DLM2000-GW
    vor 8 Jahren

Didn't I see a kitchen here with 2 faucets on a single large sink? Can't remember who it belonged to but if you do go the dual sink route, you could do 2 faucets. It would keep someone needing to wash their hands or rinse a piece of fruit out of your way when you're washing dishes, too.

• silken1
    vor 8 Jahren

I guess a compromise might be to get a sink like some of the Kohler cast iron ones if that is an OK type for you. I forget the name of mine, but I can find it if you are interested. It has a huge deep sink and a smaller one. You could rinse in the smaller one and just set large or all items on a drying mat on the counter after rinsing in the smaller bowl. My sink comes with grates and a colander and cutting board included.

• Pink Poppy
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren

Oh my gosh, good point Fori! (Love your username BTW - I chuckle whenever I see your posts!) I am pretty good about not leaving the faucet on when moving from one side to the next but will have to train DH and guests not to! I'll be getting SS sinks.

DLM2000: that's another option. DH would likely think it's overkill though. ;)

• homepro01
    vor 8 Jahren

Julien and Rachiele just to name a few can make you sinks customized to your needs. What would be supporting the two sinks at the point where they meet? Will they be in two cabinets?

• Pink Poppy
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren

Silken: when I first started looking for sinks I fell in love with pretty white apron farmhouse sinks. But I've since cooled on the idea as I know with my clumsy nature it would look awful very quickly. I'm also lazy so I would be very put out if I had to add the extra step of resting the items on the counter then put back in to rinse! Ha ha... I'm a clumsy, lazy and messy cook.

• Pink Poppy
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 8 Jahren

homepro01: thanks!! That's fantastic! Getting a double sink sized to my needs would be the most ideal solution. Is it quite pricey? As for the support issue: I've no clue! I'm totally inexperienced when it comes to kitchen design so I'm hoping to get some guidance here (of course I'll consult with my GC and cabinet maker but I'm currently in the preliminary "hmm... can it be done?" phase where all your expertise would be much appreciated and helpful!

• Fori
    vor 8 Jahren

If your counter has a plywood subtop, for like tile or 2cm solid surface/granite, then I think it would be not-too-crazy to expect to be able to support two sinks side-by-side in it. But...

Check out stainless steel fabricators local or online and see if you can get what you want.

• ybchat67
    vor 8 Jahren

I have spent a ridiculous amount of time thinking about the kitchen sink. I too would love 2 sinks. I don't wash dishes like you but I would like a second sink to wash veggies and put a dish drainer in. I would also like a large single. And I am unable to have a prep sink. I still don't know what to do. Franke makes 2 very large double sinks. I think this would need a custom sink cab.

http://www.faucetdirect.com/franke-kbx-120-39-kubus-38-4-7-x-18-1-8-double-basin-undermount-18-gauge-stainless-steel-kitchen/p389253

http://www.faucetdirect.com/franke-kbx-120-43-kubus-43-x-18-1-8-double-basin-undermount-18-gauge-stainless-steel-kitchen-sink/p389254#reviews

I would love to see any other ideas people have. I also think a local metal shop can custom make a sink. I haven't inquired about that yet.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    vor 8 Jahren

Getting two large bowls side by side shouldn't be a problem for a competent fabricator. Have him grind in and polish an overflow between them.

• Pink Poppy
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren

Thanks everyone! Sounds like what I want isn't impossible. :D I'll see how much a custom double bowl will cost and compare to the cost of two singles. Joseph: getting the fabricator to grind in an overflow: what a creative idea! Thanks!

• live_wire_oak
    vor 8 Jahren

I had a client who wanted a custom sink, similar to what you describe. Her quote from the cheap local fabricator in the not so nice part of town was $2300.

She got used to the large single that I recommended fairly easily. And started using her DW for everything. I'd recommend you give it a try as well. People passionately love their large singles for a reason.

• Nothing Left to Say
    vor 8 Jahren

My reveal with two faucets is linked above. It's pretty common to use two faucets with the kohler stages 45 sink so there are other pictures around too. I think mine is the only one with the faucets on the sides though. I have that placement because we have an old house and the sink run is shallower than standard depth.

If we had gone with soapstone counters, I probably would have gone with a soapstone sink and those can be done to just about any specifications. Not cheap though.

• PRO
    StarCraft Custom Builders
    vor 8 Jahren

You can install two separate sinks in a countertop. In fact, in the old days, before double-bowl sins were invented, the only way to have a double sink was to install two, and sometimes three, sinks side by side. They were not common in homes but often used in restaurants and hotels.

A couple of issues:

• The narrow countertop strip between the sinks is not strong enough to support the weight of the sinks + water, and will need to be strengthened.
    • You will need a single cabinet wide enough for the two sinks -- at least 48" or possibly wider for the size of the sinks you are talking about, or two cabinets. Two cabinets is often not as good a choice since the sinks cannot be installed as close together.
    • The countertop strip between the sinking will get a lot of wear, more so that the rest of the countertop, and will show the wear much sooner.

You can take two ordinary stainless sinks and have them welded together by a stainless steel fabricator. Once they are re-polished, you cannot see the seam. In fact, when double bowl sinks are made at the factory, they start as two separate sinks that are then joined, welded and polished.

If you live in or near a fairly large town, you probably have one or more stainless fabricators locally -- you know, the guy that makes restaurant countertops and fixtures for the local jail. It will ordinarily be a lot cheaper to join two good 18/8 or 18/10 stainless single sinks bought at Home Depot than to have one large double sink custom made. The quality would be the same, especially since the custom fabricator is probably just going to join together two single sinks he bought at Home Depot and smile when he hands you the bill.

• Pink Poppy
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren
    Starcraft Custom Builders: Love it, love it! This solution has risen to my number one choice! That's why I had to come on here to ask - I'm always astounded by the vast amount of knowledge that's freely shared on here. I do live in a big city so I'm sure I can find a SS fabricator willing to do this for me. Now to check with the cabinet maker and GC about the max width that can be properly supported with the sink cabinets. Thank you!!!
  • ybchat67
    vor 8 Jahren

Thanks StarCraft!!

• cpartist
    vor 8 Jahren

Have you looked into the Kohler stages sink?

• Nothing Left to Say
    vor 8 Jahren

I love my stages sink (pictured above). But it is a single sink, not a double.

• dt516
    letztes Jahr

Very curious what the outcome of this was? Did you join together two separate sinks in the end?

• Pink Poppy
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    letztes Jahr

@dt516 Sorry I couldn't reply sooner. It turns out I didn't have to do this after all as I found a sink that perfectly met my needs!

I have been happily washing dishes with my Kohler Strive. I got the double undermount model with a low divider. It's perfect because it has two sides and also gives me the option to soak super large items, on the rare occasion that I need to. Because of the low divider, if I fill both sides higher than the divider, I can essentially use the sink like a large single.

Here's a link to my model https://www.kohler.ca/ca/strive-32-x-18-5-16-x-9-5-16-Smart-Divide-under-mount-large-medium-double-bowl-kitchen-sink-with-basin-rack/productDetail/kitchen-sinks/1029992.htm?skuId=1029985

Gesponsert

Laden Sie die Seite neu, um diese Anzeige nicht mehr zu sehen

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.