Houzz Logo Print
ocean_clarke

POLL: Should 'Shabby Chic' be recycled or binned?

Ocean Clarke
vor 8 Jahren

Shabby Chic has been popular since the 1990's, often blending furnishings, accents and finishes which carry the impression of age and use to celebrate the beauty of everyday objects.

Do you think Shabby Chic still fashionable or has this trend had it's time?

Enlighten us in the comments below!

The Prairie By Rachel Ashwell · Mehr Info

Recycled
Binned

Kommentare (9)

• PRO
    V I Metal Ltd
    vor 8 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 8 Jahren

Shabby chic I regard as still very fashionable and people are actively looking for a next project or purchase and I highly admire the talents of designers and artists that execute shabby chic furniture very well and too a high standard. Unfortunately there are a lot of people out there who think they are good at shabby chic and this gives the impression and opinion that shabby chic furniture is short lived and not sustainable. I believe that vintage industrial furniture built from reclaimed cast iron products, steel, zinc and oak are products to last many life times and fit into and compliment many lifestyles and interior designs.

• PRO
    Aspire Curtains & Blinds
    vor 8 Jahren

I think it depends. There are rooms where shabby chic still works really well, and when that's the case why ignore it as an option. I think that it's a great contrast to the somewhat clinical look which seems to be fashionable right now.

• PRO
    Toks Aruoture
    vor 8 Jahren
    Perhaps upgraded. I love the idea of throwing in industrial chic for example to bring it up to date. Shabby chic is more of a lifestyle than a design style. People who love it tend to be relaxed & laid back just like the style and it'll be hard to pull them away from it :) The florals are what can make it seem dated and should be used in moderation or replaced with a trendy print like Liberty perhaps?
  • Karl Grant
    vor 8 Jahren
    I agree with the previous sentiments. Shabby chic shouldn't be 'binned' outright but seen as an option or opportunity.
    I can't tear myself away from the idea that interiors work best when they are an equal reflection of the owners personality, the property and the heritage of the surrounding environment (there is definitely a Venn diagram in there!).
    For example I'm not keen on a room of distressed dressers in a 1970s town house.
    Throw a one off chic piece into a country cottage (twee lace, wicker hearts and all) and it can really work - especially when served up with a cup of earl grey in a traditional floral tea cup. Lol

Most trends appear to peak and trough and a good designer puts a twist on it (for example the comments around softening industrial looks) and I for one look forward to its next incarnation.
  • beverleypj
    vor 8 Jahren
    Completely agree with the comment above! Done well, it can be relaxed and stylish, but these days it's just a cop out for those who cannot be arsed. And the abuse of antiques must stop!
  • jazza6
    vor 8 Jahren
    I personally can't stand shabby chic... I think it looks awful. However that's only my personal opinion. if you love it then it's your home and your choice and shouldn't matter what others think.
  • Joanna Biddolph
    vor 8 Jahren

There is a place for it. I have one bedroom that is, broadly speaking, described as shabby chic but it's because I've inherited my mother's 1950s Olympus bedroom furniture. It's extremely well made and extremely capacious. It's not my style; it was hers; it looks great in the room it is in.

• Shelly Anne
    vor 8 Jahren

Each to their own and all that but I just can't get my head around shabby anything. I never could get into the fashion for ripped jeans or scuffed trainers either. If something is worn or dated, I either repair it, sell it, or throw it. If I buy anything new, I really look after it and love it for as long as possible but once it becomes tired I can't bear to look at it. Maybe it's because we could rarely afford anything new when I was young so when we did have something shiny & perfect it meant a lot. Having said that, done well it can look really nice - I just wouldn't want it in my own home

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.