vor 7 Jahren

So long story short we live on a steep private driveway with about 7
houses below us in a very quiet suburb. Unfortunately a lot of the
houses below us work shifts and our main bedrooms and ensuite front the
street. The end result is we get woken up 2-3 times a night by traffic
noise which is getting annoying.

I'm just looking to block out as much traffic noise as possible. I
don't care about thermal performance at all. I've got 3 quotes for
double glazed windows from common suppliers recommended in Sydney by but it seems really expensive:

French door x 2 ----> 2100mm 1900mm
Window casement x 1 ----> 930mm 610mm

Quote 1 10.38 / 16mm gap / 6.38 = $9350
Quote 2 6.3 / 24 mm gap / 6.3 = $7200 (+35% for any colour other than white)
Quote 3 8.76 / 14mm / 6 = $16500 (!!)

All include install.

Then I stumbled across http://www.build.com.au/window-acoustics-and-noise-control which seems to suggest a single 10.38mm would achieve a 43% reduction which stacks up ok vs double glazing.

I'm not interested in retrofitting a second panel (magnatite?
soundbarrier? etc) as my existing windows are mission brown and pretty
old and crap looking anyway (see my other thread). I don't have time for DIY anything due to
young kids :(

I'd love to get some advice on:
- Are the quotes I've got reasonable for double glazing for 3 windows/doors? Or are they having a laugh?
-
How would the price of thick laminated (10mm-12mm) glass including aluminum frame, install etc compare price wise to upvc double glazing?
-
Has anyone had thick laminated glass installed for traffic noise and
how do you find it compared with 3mm default glass?

Kommentare (5)

• Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    vor 7 Jahren

You can keep your existing windows, they can install retrofit double glazing into the frames

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Retrofit+double+glazing+in+Sydney&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

tinting might help with the traffic lights, ask the suppliers for the right product on that.

• KK1000
    vor 7 Jahren
    We have recently replaced our old windows with laminated glass and aluminium frames . Huge difference. Don't know about double glazing but we are happy with laminated glass it's about 7-8 m thick. The other option is roller blinds on the outside of the window it gives you security as well ,specially when you are away .
  • PRO
    Envirotecture
    vor 7 Jahren

The prices sound fair especially considering that they include installation.

Viridian have a variety of glass types that are specifically designed to deal with acoustic issues. Anything will be better than 4mm float glass.

A reputable window manufacturer will be able to give you great advice on glass selection, if they can't find another one!

If you really want to eliminate noise you would end up with 2 panes of glass about 100mm apart but it is unlikely you need to go that far (it is an uncommon solution).

• PRO
    anewhouse.com.au
    vor 7 Jahren

I did a bit of a study on noise through glass on my blog, and the thickness of the glass is the biggest factor (replacing 3mm glass with 10mm will give a 6dB reduction) with laminate only adding an extra dB of sound reduction.

To see the whole blog post follow this link:

http://anewhouse.com.au/2015/11/reducing-noise-through-windows/

• PRO
    EuroGlazing Retrofit Double Glazing
    vor 7 Jahren

Hi Frank, The comments above are mostly correct, however the best noise reduction is achieved by keeping your windows and adding a second thicker window inside. It is the two thicknesses of glass and a large air gap of around 100mm which can get you the big 70% noise reduction. We use frameless 8mm glass for add on windows on discrete stainless steel hinges, they stop bus noise!

Check out http://www.euroglazing.com.au/features-benefits/

Balmain Sandstone House Double glazed 8mm glass · Mehr Info

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.