Houzz Logo Print
jennarifkin

Patio Dilemma

jennarifkin
vor 6 Jahren
Hello, we have renovated/extended our house in a contemporary style. This spring/summer we want to put in a patio (currently we are using death trap wooden pallets to get down to the garden from the bifold!).

We have a 5 panel bifold door which leads out to the garden and though we've looked at ideas (curved patio with steps down on all angels, straight with glass etc) it's just not sitting right. We want something that ties in with the garden and the house and complements the modern style whilst being functional. We also want it to tie in from the house into the garden but without destroying the garden. We are at peace with removing part of the flowerbed on the left.

Please help with suggestions, solutions, ideas!

Many thanks.

Kommentare (28)

• Jonathan
    vor 6 Jahren
    I think that you need to build a patio at the same height as the floor and have a similar colored material to the wood floor in the living area so that the boundary between indoor/outdoor is blurred.
    I would put steps at the side and boarder the patio with glass balustrades for safety.
  • PRO
    Marina Drobot at Cinnamon Space
    vor 6 Jahren
    Could you add a plan with some measurements? You could integrate some patio stones with existing landscape and add some interest. Some alpine, climbers to make the patio feel as one with the garden. Some ideas that could suite your house:
  • jennarifkin
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    Thanks Jonathan. We considered glass but then decided against it due obstruction, cleaning (marks) and children. Good ideas though.
  • jennarifkin
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    Marina, love the first picture incorporating plants and the steps down. We were thinking of some kind of entertainment space also for bbqs/sitting outside with some kind of covering but can't find anything that shows us this in an elegant way which would work for us. Will look to upload some plans or at the least measurements of the area. Many thanks.
  • PRO
    The London Tile Co.
    vor 6 Jahren

If you choose to go with Jonathans idea of similar material you could try our range of external porcelain tiles, we do have some wood effect designs.

• Ellie
    vor 6 Jahren

A photo from the outside would be best to show us how much space/how steep the rise is eg your own photo like Jonathan's photos

• jennarifkin
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    This is the image from the back
  • Ellie
    vor 6 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 6 Jahren

Could you do a much closer pic, much like Jonathan's 3rd pic

Is the house north-facing or does the area outside the bifolds get much sun?

• steve3122
    vor 6 Jahren

See Elementi fires uk

add a gas fire pit to get the most of the inside outside space you have

very cosy and sociable, a must for any gathering

Steve

• antonygeo
    vor 6 Jahren
    Im going through the same thing ive decided to build up patio level with the floor ah
  • PRO
    vor 6 Jahren
    Depending on the sun direction, you could have a modern dark wood patio with steel and dark wood (to tie with the style of the house)and a barbecue station and a garden dining table with chairs. Further down the garden where the furniture on one of the pictures you could have a small brick (same colour as the house) round patio area with a fire feature or fire pit and some chairs for entertainment. You could put a parasol there or install more permanent pergola with some climbers. Upload some measurements and will draw a plan.
  • PRO
    vor 6 Jahren
    You could also add some wildlife friendly plants, hedgehog and insect hotels further down the garden.
  • antonygeo
    vor 6 Jahren
    Im going through the same dilema, ive decided to go for patio level with inside floor and built in bench in the corner like picture. The inside i have real oak flooring but outside ive found authentic looking polished concrete porcelain tiles 100x150cm in dark grey simmilar to bifolds.
    I got idea on the bench from pic attached.
  • PRO
  • PRO
    Stone Age
    vor 6 Jahren

Wow! You definitely need to take full advantage of that wonderful open space and creating the patio on the same level of the internal floor will extend your living area. For the contemporary feel and to compliment the clean lines of the interior, how about keeping it simple and angular. Interest can be added by playing with levels. Steps running the full length of the patio can take you down to the garden. How about a sunken snug/ BBQ area under the kitchen window?

As for materials, we find our PPX limestone and Pietra Serena sandstone are popular choices for contemporary landscaping. You can see examples here... http://www.stone-age.co.uk/outdoor.html

We also have an extensive range of external porcelains. Porcelain is a great option for exterior use as you get the added anti-slip properties.

If you need any further help, please feel free to get in touch!

• PRO
    OnePlan
    vor 6 Jahren
    Sneaking on to say hi to Jenna !!!
    Beautiful garden !! ( matches the beautiful kitchen !!) hope you find a way to have a great outdoor space too ! Is it worth trying to get some storage built into the void under the deck ? Or a sunken seating area?!
    Watching with interest !!! :-)
  • Becky O
    vor 6 Jahren
    A couple more photos
  • redkez78
    vor 6 Jahren
    Marina - the first two photos on your post I 'liked' - could you share the details? I'd love to pour over the photos of the garden - the planting looks amazing!
  • ajhodes
    vor 6 Jahren
    We had a similar issue. Kept it simple with a partially raised deck with flower beds for separation rather than rails.
  • turquoisetree53
    vor 6 Jahren

ajhodes: floorbeds as separators, simple but great idea. prickly plants if there's young kids, I suppose.

• jennarifkin
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    Great ideas Stone Age and Karen as always - fantastic ideas on the storage front. Thank you.
  • jennarifkin
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    Ajhodes- love what you've done! Like that idea for us in maybe a slate tile and some way to incorporate under patio storage and a sunken BBQ area. Need more pictures for a firmer way to go forward with this. Cannot find any when I search for inspiration.
  • ajhodes
    vor 6 Jahren
    Couple more photos
  • Chris Goodchild
    vor 6 Jahren

Being a carpenter and having built a few decks in my time, I would go for an Ipe,Elondo, Balau or Iroko deck to complement your internal floor and at the same level as the interior floor. I think wide or full width steps going down into your beautiful garden. A deck should cause less disruption and the woods mentioned are relatively low maintenance, decking also gives a lot of scope for creativity with built in seating, benches, storage etc. Here is a company I found on Google, prices seem good and some nice pic's.

• PRO
    vor 6 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 6 Jahren

To redkez78: those pictures are from Houzz Muswell Hill project.

House Extension- Muswell Hill · Mehr Info

• PRO
  • Julie C
    vor 4 Jahren

Ajhodes - love this! Can I ask what stone you used please?

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.