Houzz Logo Print
emmelinewe

Are you ready to rip up your decking?

Emmeline Westin
vor 6 Jahren

Garden decking is incredibly popular, appearing in every other photo on Houzz. But is it practical? Are there better alternatives? While some homeowners praise it, others complain that it can get slippery.

Over to you! If you've recently installed decking, or removed it, share your thoughts below.

Garden Design Crystal Palace, South London 1 · Mehr Info

Yes!
No!
Other - tell us!

Kommentare (16)

• PRO
    Ayegardening Ltd
    vor 6 Jahren

Hi Emmeline, hope you are well? We install softwood, composite, hardwood and Millboard decking. The one that I see that is consistently not looked after is softwood. Many people think that once they have their new softwood deck the work is done. But actually it requires yearly maintenance and must be looked after as otherwise in 5 years it will not look great at all. We love Saige composite decking or Millboard for those with a larger budget. Millboard is rated highly as anti-slip. Also, Saige composite decking is rated as anti-slip too. I believe it tends to be softwood decking with algae on that becomes slippy.

Here is a recent installation of ours:

Before photo - old decking and lawn · Mehr Info

Composite decking and artificial grass in Horsham · Mehr Info

Before photo - old decking and lawn · Mehr Info

Composite decking and artificial grass in Horsham · Mehr Info

• Rose Williams
    vor 6 Jahren

When we moved in, there was decking galore, an absurd amount attached to the house and all the way down the garden including a 50metre path! It served very well as a rat run (literally), being attached to the house it trapped moisture to our very thick no cavity walls resulting in a destroyed kitchen with damp and mold, and regardless of a severe deep clean and treatment, served as a slippery and dangerous surface again in only a few months. GONE now, and made friends at the local tip because we had more wood than had ever seen in our lives to get rid of!

• PRO
    Ayegardening Ltd
    vor 6 Jahren

Love Millboard - great work Signature Landscapes! :-)

• PRO
    Signature Landscapes
    vor 6 Jahren

Thankyou Ayegardening. Not a bad bit of decking yourselves! Rather expensive Millboard and some issues that I think they have resolved but the best of the non timber decking available, I think. We've also got artificial grass at my own home, in the right environment it's a fantastic solution. And that coming from a timber purist who was brought up on a dairy farm with LOTS of real grass!! I see you are based North of me, but if you ever want/ need to collaborate, I am open to discussions! Brian

• PRO
    Ayegardening Ltd
    vor 6 Jahren

Ah thanks Brian! Yes I did hear about the issues with one batch of Millboard. We are going to installing a Millboard deck in July so hopefully all issues sorted now. I know what you mean about artificial grass- we have it installed - mainly due to 4 children and a dog. It is perfect for them! But I wouldn't put it everywhere. I think it is perfect for the right situation. Wow I am surprised you converted then!! Yes, it would be great to keep connected. Are you a member of the APL?

• eeekmj
    vor 6 Jahren

I've heard of more than 1 household with rats living under their decking! Grass is better for birds, worms, insects, wildlife in general. Better for absorbing some heat on a hot day, better for water drainage.

• anniec22
    vor 6 Jahren
    Planning to renovate as some areas rotten. Still love my little haven that catches the last of the sun in my garden and I refer to as my gin and tonic spot!
  • PRO
    Signature Landscapes
    vor 6 Jahren

As much as I love timber, don't use timber.

• Najeebah
    vor 6 Jahren
    decking is rather uncommon in my area; far more common for outdoor areas is paving, outdoor tiled patios, or just grass. I think decks certainly look good when done and maintained well, but I do find it somewhat overdone. It wouldn't be my choice for my exterior, as I like the feel of solid earth beneath me
  • Lena
    vor 6 Jahren
    I don't find it particularly practical and will gladly rip mine off and replace with steps, after I'm done with a kitchen replacement project.
  • embzop
    vor 6 Jahren

Love my decking. It gives a practical solution to the changing level at the back of the house when there are 2 drains that need to be accessible. The rats seem to be happy living under my shed and my neighbour's sheds therefore don't make it as far as the decking.

• PRO
    London Stone
    vor 6 Jahren

Hi Emmeline,

We completely agree with Aye Gardening. Softwood requires maintenance, and if you do not have the time to keep it good looking, we recommend you go for composite decking, such as Millboard.

We have also seen some amazing transformation with Millboard Composite Decking, as it requires very little maintenance, it has good slip-resistance, it doesn't age, and can be used in damp areas as well - such as pool surrounds.

Have a look at more photos here: https://www.houzz.co.uk/ideabooks/81725744/thumbs/how-composite-decking-can-transform-your-outdoor-space 

Kind regards,

London Stone

• PRO
    North Leeds Garden Design
    vor 6 Jahren

We recently had a Millboard deck installed in a garden we designed. It was an area under a tree so seemed the best solution. The problem I have with it is it doesn't weather like wood does so our oak sleepers that are next to it now jar slightly. Hopefully over time it will work out. The landscapers found it easy to work with and it certainly has a great finish.

• PRO
    Ayegardening Ltd
    vor 6 Jahren

Sounds good North Leeds Garden Design. Millboard has to be one of our favourite products to install but an nteresting point that you make. They have the weathered oak range which looks like oak boards that have been down for a while- a good idea if that is the look that you are going for. But obviously still won't have the movement that real wood does. Thanks, food for thought and worth us bearing in mind in the future if we have to mix real wood and Millboard.

• PRO
    C J Gardens Ltd
    vor 6 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 6 Jahren

I think it massively depends on the design and setting of a garden. I installed a deck and bar area next to a river last year and it fitted its surroundings perfectly. If it was paved it would have looked harder against the landscape and looked out of place in its surroundings.

I used new scaffolding boards.

More photos can be found here https://www.houzz.co.uk/projects/1984028/river-side-deck

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.