Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_32459225

Paint or replace staircase

User
vor 6 Jahren

Hi everyone,

as you can see I have a dark open tread staircase which makes the hallway very dark. I love the open tread style but the staircase is starting to look in poor repair after several failed attempts at staining, so we are thinking off either replacing it with lighter wood with glass banisters etc (renovating not possible for various reasons) or painting it a lighter colour. I am leaning towards painting them due to expense of new staircase What do you all think? Any ideas??

Kommentare (5)

• Juliet Docherty
    vor 6 Jahren

I think it's stunning, really. We have recently ripped out one with straight upright spindles and are replacing it with one similar to this but mainly oak. This looks very stylish in my opinion.

• PRO
    Fusion interior design
    vor 6 Jahren

Agree with colourhappy. Repaint :)

• A S
    vor 6 Jahren
    I don't think a glass balustrade will help in bringing more light due to the nature and Shape of the stairs but the dark colour is imposing making the space feel dark.

Your door seem to be oak, so id consider either getting them to a similar shade or painting a lighter colour such as off white/ light grey to match the interior.
  • User
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren

Thanks for all your comments. Looks like reprinting is a favourite option, which is less disruptive than a new staircase and a repainted will not destroy our current wallpaper which will be ripped if we fit a new staircase and the paper is no longer available.

i attach a better photo of the colour of the wallpaper (it's a gold colour) so that you can help me select best colour. I really don't want white.

we plan to replace the doors to a light oak with glass inserts to help lightened the hall and lay cream tiles on the floor.

we will probably replace the carpet on the stairs with a similar patterned one

• PRO
    The Stair Guru
    vor 6 Jahren

I would have recommended replacing the steps with a light anti slip oak, change the posts and handrail and have glass inserted between the handrail and steps using "saw tooth" glass, the two "string" supports could simply be painted white, the whole staircase would feel brand new without the disruption of replacing the whole thing

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.