Houzz Logo Print
vkavaras

Art above sofa- WHAT SIZE??

Valerie K
vor 6 Jahren
Hello!
I am trying to fill a large space above a sofa in my family room. The sofa is 80" long. (See image). I was thinking of hanging one large horizontal framed piece of art (possibly canvas, see
Image) above the sofa measuring about 60"x40". Obviously the larger the piece the more expensive it's going to be to frame. How large should it be in order to properly fill the space??

The other option is hanging two similar framed pieces, vertically side by side. But again, how large should those be? Thanks so mix in advance!

Kommentare (20)

• Valerie K
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    This is a visual of the type of art thinking about hanging.
  • Valerie K
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    This is the space, above the sofa.
  • kaye1951
    vor 6 Jahren

How tall are the walls? Is the ceiling vaulted?

• Valerie K
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    9 foot ceilings, not vaulted
  • chloebud
    vor 6 Jahren

I think the art work should be about 75% of the back of the sofa's width.

• Valerie K
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    That's exactly what I was thinking: about 60inches wide. How high should it be?
  • everdebz
    vor 6 Jahren

You have light and dark items, but seems what you posted could have more a look - is floor carpeting? Do you not want canvas art?

• Valerie K
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    Everdebz-
    Can you clarify when you say "seems what you posted could have more a look".

Floor is a taupe carpet. I like canvas art but would prefer it framed.
    I'm more concerned about the size of the art so it fills the space adequately enough. (This will be a focal point in the room.)
  • Waynette Bailey
    vor 6 Jahren
    I'm an artist, so I say "go big!" A 60" x 48" would be great above that sofa! For a contemporary look, an unframed painting with the image wrapped around the sides, is a way of saving money on such a large piece. For a more traditional look, you'll need a frame...and more $$$.
  • everdebz
    vor 6 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 6 Jahren

You wrote "a visual of the type of art" - and it was slender trees [your first post].... for "more look," ProBev's has some shapes and neutralish blue-greys.... it could add life especially if you have a slender table lamp too....

• chloebud
    vor 6 Jahren

Really like Bev's example.

• kaye1951
    vor 6 Jahren

I searched "Artwork above sofa" on Houzz where you can find many ideas. Here are a few:

• Valerie K
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    Thanks Kaye! I do like the smaller frames and pictures above the sofa but am looking for more of a dramatic statement so and thinking larger. I know it's going to be more expensive but I think it's what the space needs. The only other option would be (2) smaller vertical pieces above the sofa rather that (1) large horizontal.
  • PRO
    Blue Stone Photography
    vor 6 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 6 Jahren

I saw in your idea books that you tend towards neutral colors with touches of earth tones. Here are some ideas for artwork that may provide a base for other accessories in the room. The images are available as 60"x40" canvas prints.

Symbiosis

Eke

Introvert

Breakthrough

Melancholy

• robin brantley
    vor 5 Jahren

And if a square shape art piece is selected, what size is recommended for an 80" sofa with 8 ft ceiling???

• Candice Johnson
    vor 4 Jahren

I can’t figure out to make my own post, seems I need even more help then I originally thought lol my question is, when trying to select the right size for my couch, with the layout I have and not able to rid of this couch. Should I just use the measurements of the couch or should I use the measurements of the entire wall.

• everdebz
    vor 4 Jahren

Candice, no one else has responded - is this last photo just to show more of the room? or is it a sofa option?

• everdebz
    vor 4 Jahren

Beverly's had a softer look of art, and Blue Stone showed deeper - just my preference, but with dark ceiling fan, ladder, and tv --- deeper seems a nice bridge [between light walls and the dark].

• everdebz
    vor 4 Jahren

Many threads about hanging art - type your words at top bar, and select 'Advice' to see / also select 'Stories' for houzz articles. Here's a recent discussion and read to the end:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5850290/what-s-the-rule-of-thumb-for-pictures-and-windows

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.