Houzz Logo Print
jo_arnold3453650

Deco bedroom- wardrobe ideas

Jo Arnold
vor 6 Jahren
zuletzt bearbeitet:vor 6 Jahren

Just about to start painting this midnight navy with pink ceiling/woodwork.

Furniture is mirrored but we need wardrobes- I think more mirrors would be too much. Any other ideas? I'd like a matching pair, which makes getting vintage wardrobes trickier.

Kommentare (23)

• Daisy England
    vor 6 Jahren
    Midnight blue with pink woodwork and ceilings? Oh heck. Definitely not my taste. Far to much over the top for a relaxing bedroom for me.
  • Jo Arnold
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren

What a terribly useful comment! It's not for everyone but I love colour, drama, personality.

It may help if you visualise something like this:

(And it's 'too' over the top for you. I also love correct grammar.)

• Daisy England
    vor 6 Jahren
    You posted on here for comments and that's what I did ... comment. If you don't like my opinion then ignore it.
  • Carolina
    vor 6 Jahren

I like the Pax wardrobes from Ikea. You can have custom doors made too if you don't like the options they have. Here's one company that makes doors for Ikea furniture, but I'm sure there are more https://customfronts.co.uk/

Jo Arnold hat Carolina gedankt
  • Carolina
    vor 6 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 6 Jahren

Perhaps a similar style to this? Painted in the same colour as the walls?

(I do like the blue/pink combo)

Jo Arnold hat Carolina gedankt
  • Jo Arnold
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren

Jemma, I had thought about painting some, so thanks for the reassurance on that.

Carolina, those are gorgeous, but I want to avoid fitted as the wall on which they will be going (either side of chimney breast) can tend to be cold. It's a 30s detached property and they can have cold spots, so I want to sit any furniture slightly away from the wall to avoid mould issues.

I've had Pax in the past and really like being about to customise the interiors so easily. I had wondered about getting doors made/customised to help them blend.

Great ideas, both! Thank you. :-)

• Jo Arnold
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren

(Oh and the carpet in the pics will obviously be going, too!)

• rachelmidlands
    vor 6 Jahren
    Hi there, glad you found the right blue:) I think the blue and pink combo is gutsy but I think you'll pull it off. It's what you like that matters.
    With the wardrobes my personal opinion is not to match the mirror furniture and go for something that either blends in with the wall colour like Carolina suggested or to compliment with the other furnishings. I remember you saying you wanted to go slightly Art Deco and a bit glam so I'm thinking something with a black frame, possibly with mirrors, maybe grey painted with a lattice front or an oriental style full black with large brass handles. A interesting wood pattern would also look nice. In Art Deco pieces they typically used a high lacquer burr walnut but these aren't easy to source. Have a look at these sites and see if any take your fancy:
    https://www.hutch.co.uk/large-grey-painted-mirrored-wardrobe-by-coach-house.html

https://shrops-design.co.uk/collections/wardrobes/products/gatsby-etched-mirrored-wardrobe

https://www.turnbullandthomas.co.uk/ribchester-oak-double-wardrobe

https://www.franceshunt.co.uk/sleep/wardrobes/orient-2-door-black-lacquer-wardrobe.html

And some pics:
    Jo Arnold hat rachelmidlands gedankt
  • Jo Arnold
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren

I agree the colours are risky, but it's only paint. If it doesn't work, we can go with traditional white. The pink is very pale in the room, so should be more like an off-white. I can always change my mind before I open the tin! It's a north facing room, so whites tend to look grey- hence the idea to try a pale, warmer tone.

• Jo Arnold
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren

Love the grey wardrobe!

• rachelmidlands
    vor 6 Jahren
    I think you're right with the pink. With the navy being such a deep bold colour I don't think you'd actually regard it as pink but just a warm neutral. Would love to see the results.
    I like the grey wardrobe too, I think it will compliment you're existing furniture. Also depends on what flooring you're going for as the colour of this will also come into the equation. A large chandelier light, bedside lights and a boudoir chair with shell? shaped back would look gorgeous with this theme. Reminded me of this:
    Kalorama, NW, DC. Whole House Remodel · Mehr Info

Oh I wish I had a full walk in wardrobe and more shoes...sigh;)
  • PRO
    User
    vor 6 Jahren
    I agree with Carolina. Your space is fantastic and the colour combination is brilliant... love a space that screams 'I'm an absolute dare devil'.

Anyways back to the advise; I would have built-ins installed which will not only help maximise the space it will also allow the colour combo in the room to speak volumes.

Have the doors painted the same colour as your walls and put some snazzy door knobs on them. Ideally glass knobs or handles. This'll bring your furniture together! Hope that helps... best of luck!
  • rachelmidlands
    vor 6 Jahren
    Just a thought, fitted wardrobes could still be an option with the addition of air vents, this should help with any cold spots or damp issues.
  • PRO
    Amanda Clothier
    vor 6 Jahren
    Personally, I would love a pair of genuine 30s wooden wardrobes with the blue in this scheme - it would really compliment the wood, particularly if you arranged some mood lighting to uplight/downlight the wooden doors. They don’t have to match, but the same type of wood - this would add interest and complexity to the bold scheme you’ve got going on. Love it! Someone mentioned burr walnut - so gorgeous in a 30s design! (Might be a bit pricey though, even on eBay!)
  • Carolina
    vor 6 Jahren
    The IKEA PAX wardrobes don't have to be fitted, they come as freestanding too. Just thought I'd mention it ;-)
  • Peter Rameson
    vor 6 Jahren
    We used PAX and had MDF surround and doors made to our own design to match Victorian four panelled doors. If you have a problem with cold outside walls get that sorted first - it’s a pretty simple job - insulation foil and slats then plasterboard - you won’t need to rep later if you’re building in wardrobes.
  • chloeloves
    vor 6 Jahren
    Hi Jo. Love your scheme I think it will look gorgeous! Personally I think a bit of real wood would look great against the blue and add a natural element (need to be a bit careful against the pink though!). I saw this pair of beauties in a charity shop, probably not quite right but I think it would be worth following your instincts and holding out for what you wanted rather than going for second best. Everyone is in such a hurry to have everything finished and perfect immediately but a house, style and furniture evolve over time, so if you can be patient and deal with clothes elsewhere for a bit you may get your dream cupboards! Good luck and happy hunting
  • PRO
    Shimu Oriental Furniture
    vor 6 Jahren

Hi Jo, I think the scheme will look great. The midnight blue will give a dramatic look and I think real wood would work for the wardrobes, but you might want to add a contrast with a lighter, neutral colour, which would also work with the pink. We've used cream furniture from our range against dark blue walls in the photo here. Hope it helps ...

• Jo Arnold
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    The bedside lights I got ages before I had a clue about the theme but they should go really well. I'm looking out for a chandelier too. Carpet will be grey to match what we've had elsewhere (this is all part of a larger project).
  • Jo Arnold
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    I definitely think real wood would be best but the grey and mirrored style might also work well. Our carpenter friend might be able to adapt a simple pax into something suitable. lots of wonderful ideas. Thank you all so much.
  • Tess
    vor 6 Jahren
    I completely agree with the light grey wardrobes. Completely personally I prefer built in, I feel like they have better storage and add less bulk to a room. And I love the colours of he from particularly for north facing, it will feel so cosy
    Jo Arnold hat Tess gedankt
Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.