Houzz Logo Print
annalyzer1001

Spacious but boring lounge!

annalyzer1001
vor 6 Jahren
Please help! I want to redecorate this room but on a budget. We are not changing the curtains, sofa and picture on the fireplace(hubby is adamant it wont go anywhere). Thanks in advance.

Kommentare (37)

• Misha M
    vor 6 Jahren
    Hi annalyzer

Would you be open to painting and/or wallapapering?

Building into the alcoves?
  • Misha M
    vor 6 Jahren
    Lots to suggest! A lovely proportioned room!
  • annalyzer1001
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    Thanks Misha M. I am open to any ideas as still cant make up my mind on want to do.
  • Misha M
    vor 6 Jahren
    So here are my thoughts:

- Use the painting (assuming you like?) to pick a main colour (whether wallpaper or paint). Perhaps the dark orange? Cushions and throws...

- Lighting is perhaps a bit dark for your lovely large room...maybe a floor lamp and a table lamp? Your ceiling light would you replace with a chandelier?

- The height of your room needs to be better celebrated. At the moment...everything is too low (eg plant). Papering or painting the alcoves or wall with radiator will help with this.

- Shelving...you could get a local joiner to make you bespoke shelving to house your TV. OR put bookshelves in alcoves and move TV to radiator wall.

- Radiator wall...needs a statement bit of furniture...dresser?
  • Misha M
    vor 6 Jahren
    - If you go for orange... a multicolored rug with orange undertones would look lovely.

- A mirror behind sofa?

Will post some pics to exemplify later!

Misha
  • annalyzer1001
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    Thanks Misha. Much appreciated.
  • Misha M
    vor 6 Jahren
    Brown and orange...
  • Misha M
    vor 6 Jahren
    Consider dark and dramatic wall?
  • Misha M
    vor 6 Jahren
    Also see how taller plant helps with perspective of room...
  • Misha M
    vor 6 Jahren
    If not orange, then green...
  • Misha M
    vor 6 Jahren
    Behind your sofa...photo or art wall?
  • annalyzer1001
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    Thanks so much Misha! Now I am even more confused. LOL! Loved all of the ideas. Plants will definitely be added.
  • annalyzer1001
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    Hi Man about the house! Thanks. That looks nice and I will definitely consider moving the frame, mirror and alcoves as you both suggested. Love the rug.
  • PRO
    Shimu Oriental Furniture
    vor 6 Jahren

I like the idea of using the dark orange from the picture as a theme. I noticed you have a black lacquer oriental style cabinet next to the sofa at the moment. This would go with the dark orange and you could extend this with one or two other similar pieces - a coffee table and perhaps a pair of cabinets in the alcoves rather than fitted shelves. Something like the sideboard below, which is part of our Chinese Classical range.

• annalyzer1001
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    Thanks Shimu. Unfortunately, my husband doesnt like orange. I have told him what the others have said and have shown him some ideas. So...yeah..even if I say “I am redecorating” my husband always have a say too. Quite frustrating this man!
  • Sally Ann
    vor 6 Jahren

It's about layout here, not so much decor. Celebrate the gorgeous size and symmetry of those windows, and of the fireplace plus alcoves by trying to show them rather than hiding them behind bulky sofas (which are rather too low for this glorious height room). Definitely hide the radiator behind one, which then gives a window view when sitting down on it. Put the dramatic modern picture above it (higher up to balance the height of the architrave) so that you can use the big mirror trick over the fireplace as a feature, try to get one that links to the classic style of the windows. If a kiddies corner is still needed in here, pull the second sofa out of its alcove and tuck the children into their then more private den behind it (lose the oriental style cabinet to give circulation space). Expose your uplighter fully to emphasise its height in the alcove to the left of the fireplace. TALL plants near the Windows, perhaps one on that cabinet, will help balance the low sofas too. I'm at a loss with your enormous TV cabinet. Logically the TV would go where the Christmas tree was, but the cabinet lifts it unnecessarily high, so perhaps put it on a lower stand that is less intrusive?

• PRO
    amordesigns
    vor 6 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 6 Jahren

I agree with Sally Ann layout will make huge difference especially having such a lovely spacious room.
    For colour scheme if your hubby doesn’t like orange, how about greens, sage colours, greys? If you are keeping curtains, you already have greys in curtains, maybe paint walls in a nice grey.

I recently decorated my small through room, the only thing i kept was my brown leather sofas so had to work with colours and items that worked well with sofas. I chose green velvet which looks fab with brown, then blues, sage, greys. I painted walls in grey and it completely transformed my room.

1. You could also have blinds
    2. Have your curtains just hanging without tie backs
    3. What style and look do you want to achieve?
    4. Change your ceiling lights to something modern

I attach pics of my own room, showing how the green and greys go well together. Not everyones taste but i love it.

• annalyzer1001
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    Amordesigns and Sally Ann thanks very much. You can tell how I am so not good with this whole decorating business. I love both your ideas and I will definitely keep that in mind. I will keep everyone updated once done.
  • annalyzer1001
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    I think your space is fab Amordesigns. x
  • annalyzer1001
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    As for the tv stand, my husband loves recycling. One day the office needed to get rid of this unit so he rescued it and used it as a tv stand. Hahaha he hates things being thrown away when they can still be used so yeah...I am also slowly trying to welcome him to the modern world as he is such traditional type guy. Also, 5/6 of the people in the house hates that painting but he loves it.
  • PRO
    amordesigns
    vor 6 Jahren
    Annalyzer I design wedding stationery and love design, but decorating a room is so different and more difficult than you think! I found it really hard to put things together because there are so many styles i like, and like you, have to please the hubby!

I got lots of ideas from houzz and people commenting on posts.
    I think if you make a moodboard of colours and things you like it will be easier.

You can also upload your room onto your houzz ideasbook and add items to the room in your ideas book, I found that really helpful, got a bit obsessed with it but its a help because you can visualise it and change around.
  • PRO
    amordesigns
    vor 6 Jahren
    Annalyzer recycling is fabulous, you can make unique furniture or items by recycling, at least your hubby likes to paint so thats a start. I think if you paint first your room will transform instantly, and give it a fresh canvas to work with. Then you can start styling from there. Good luck and keep us updated
  • annalyzer1001
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    1sandyh good point. What I like is quite the opposite. He likes traditional I like modern. I like glam he’s like nahhh...

I have shown him so many ideas of what I would like the lounge to look like and all went down the drain. That’s why I ended up here asking for advice. I will get my way one way or another and use most if not all of your ideas. I will let you know. Fingers crossed. Thanks everyone! xx
  • PRO
    amordesigns
    vor 6 Jahren
    Annalyzer you can mix traditional and modern, the final look doesn’t need to be just one look.

I had same problem with my hubby he liked one thing i liked another, but you will always meet in the middle.

Have you stayed Anywhere where you both liked the colour scheme or decor? Maybe use that as inspiration
  • Angie
    vor 6 Jahren
    Try suggesting something truly outrageous so that when you suggest something you like it seems acceptable to hubby. A designer who's working on something with us at work suggested that approach for getting people on board.
    Angie
  • PRO
    amordesigns
    vor 6 Jahren
    Hi Annalyzer i spotted this pic and thought of you. The room has greens, brown leather, dark blues and striped cushions same as your curtains, I thought it all goes fab together. The plants need toning down a bit!!accessories are from H&M, they have a lovely range of affordable home interiors
  • annalyzer1001
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    Thanks for the tip Angie and thanks for the photo Monserat. Progress here. We have agreed on the paint. It’s Caramel Latte.
  • annalyzer1001
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    UPDATE: We are nearly there. Just needs to buy a rug, chandelier, clock and something to put up on the wall. Thanks for all your help.
  • annalyzer1001
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    Swapped the tv we have in the library.
  • annalyzer1001
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    Just this wall to finish.
  • annalyzer1001
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    It is better than it was but I still think it’s boring. There’s still no wow factor to it. what do I need to add??
  • PRO
    User
    vor 6 Jahren

I think it looks great................I still think the picture needs to come off the mantelpiece. Replace it with an over mantle mirror, which is what would traditionally go there.

I know that your husband wanted to keep the picture, but it really doesn't go. If it has to stay in the room, then maybe to the left of the T.V on the blank wall, but i'd find a different home for it.

• annalyzer1001
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    Thanks Man. I so totally like that mirror. Thanks very much. I will show him this and hopefully he will like it too.
  • Lalitte Stolper
    vor 6 Jahren

There was a good article in Houzz recently about being bold with ceilings. Given you have plenty of height and light, you might be able to put the 'wow' factor in over your head by treating the ceiling as your 'accent' wall. Husband might not even notice. I'm having alarmingly tacky visions of warm-silver crackle glaze for some reason - maybe because of the new mirror...also, the brown leather sofas are quite depressing - could they be recovered in something lighter and brighter?

• PRO
    amordesigns
    vor 6 Jahren
    I don’t think the sofas are depressing, they are practical, and can look great. Any sofa can look great with the right accessories.
  • sksj1
    vor 6 Jahren
    Raise the painting up higher as well. Will make the fireplace more of a feature and allow you to put tea lights etc on the mantle.
Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.