Houzz Logo Print
rachel_pinker

Outside 1920’s less ugly ideas needed

Rachel Pinker
vor 6 Jahren
Hi I’m really keen to make our house look less ugly from the outside but not sure what I should be aiming for: main problems include,
- the horrible pebbledash render - it needs painting I know but reluctant to do this if we should get a new type of render instead? It’s such a large surface area not sure on what the best thing to do is.
- windows, hate the plastic, I know I want wooden ones but what else can I do to make them look better eg the one above the front door, the surrounds are so flat, can I add framing/sills around it to bring it out more?
Also the top bay, I hate that it has no ‘hat’ what I can add on top of it?
- hate the plastic porch and front door but it is SO useful, is there a wooden enclosed porch that could look good? Or should I give up and just have a storage box in the front garden for parcels etc.
- I think sprucing up the garage and front wall and front garden are more straightforward

Kommentare (7)

• A B
    vor 6 Jahren

Do you have a budget in mind? I would be tempted to keep the porch too!

• Rachel Pinker
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    No budget at this stage, I know it’s going to be super £££ though
  • A B
    vor 6 Jahren

Agree! Replacing the windows will make a big difference. I personally would go for an off white crisp render, redesign (but keep) the porch to remove some of the windows a bit like the image, put a beautiful front door in, a wooden garage door, then landscape the front garden. It will end up looking stunning!

• Sonia
    vor 6 Jahren
    Well, I really like your house! Love the roof and porch roof, full of character. There is a new type of render that is already coloured so never needs repainting. Maybe that can be applied on top of your rendering? You would have to check with a builder or decorator on that. The windows aren’t that bad, but if you want to change them to wood then do so, but they will need a lot of maintenance so think carefully. Are you up to painting them every few years, or can you afford to pay someone to do it? You have a very pretty house with a nice front wall!
  • PRO
    Nica Design Windows & Doors
    vor 6 Jahren

Hi Rachel,

I agree with the other comments. Your house isn't ugly, just needs a refresh.

Without going into too much detail, wooden windows that are well fitted will make a massive difference instantly. You mention the small window is slightly recessed. Fitting a new one, adding cills properly would fix this.

If you're in London or surrounding areas, feel free to get in touch for a quote :)

• Karen Atkinson
    vor 6 Jahren
    If you're going to redo the render look at external insulation. It will save you a fortune in heating costs as 1920s houses often have very poor insulation. And you can choose the finish you prefer., doesn't have to be pebble dash!
Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.