Houzz Logo Print
marieearl77

Remodelling kitchen-can we take out existing units/worktops and re-use

Ellie
vor 6 Jahren

We are knocking through dining room and kitchen to create one open kitchen/diner.

We plan to have base units/hob/sink along one wall only with an island parallel to that run of units.

My current kitchen is this pic, this wall in the pic will be going as that is where the sliding doors will be installed directly opening onto back garden.

Is it possible to remove these base units and use them as the new run of units that we plan? The pic only shows half the kitchen as it is galley style with identical base units on the opposite wall.

I plan an island but it will be a contrasting island so will not be looking to match.

Is it possible to use my existing units/doors/worktop or is it just now worth the hassle?

Also we will be having a range - I currently have one that was in the house when we bought it. We would simply be buying a newer one and new extractor. Is it ok to use existing and get fitted then later buy new ones that are exactly same size to replace these. Or does it make sense to buy and fit new ones when kitchen is being done? Any advice welcome, and thanks!

House · Mehr Info

Kommentare (4)

• Sam Potter
    vor 6 Jahren
    I'd talk to your kitchen fitter about reusing cabinets. I had one who said it would take him longer/and therefore cost more) to refit existing ones. If you have fancy exoensuve ones it might be worth it, or if you are fitting them yourself. I'd do the maths on cist and see how much you'd save.
    I'd say the cooker/extractor question is one for you to decide based on your budget. Cookers just slot in/ out if you get the same size. Extractors might have a different shape at the back so you might want to check this before you buy.
    Ellie hat Sam Potter gedankt
  • Jonathan
    vor 6 Jahren
    I would also do the maths. Personally I expect it would be better to sell what you have and then get all new. This also helps you to choose a contrasting island but with things that tie it with the other units
    Ellie hat Jonathan gedankt
  • Emily
    vor 6 Jahren
    My builder also said trying to reuse is more expensive than buying new. And everything costs more than expected and so I’d definitely reuse the range if I were you so you can either save that cost or at least delay it for when you’re finished when you know exactly how much money you’ve got left.
  • PRO
    Prime Living
    vor 6 Jahren

Whilst there can be occasions when it may be more hassle/work to re-fit existing kitchen units into a completely new layout, this doesn't look to be the case with what you want to achieve. Your kitchen looks in good condition and you want to have a single run of units on the wall opposite your new sliding doors. As a carpenter & joiner I'm struggling to see any difficulty with such on the basis of the info you've provided. At worst you may need a new worktop or section of such and/or end panels.

If you've got a full wall of units the opposite side you could potentially use some of those to form your new island (depending on what sort of configuration you have in mind), with the addition of new doors, heavier end panels & stone worktop to contrast.

There shouldn't be any problem with re-using your range either (just check sizes), and £100 or so spent getting an oven cleaner in should have it looking great with your new layout, until you decide to replace it.

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.