Houzz Logo Print
nixxi72

Flush engineered wood floor - ideas on how to hide the expansion gap

nixxi72
vor 6 Jahren

Hello, all

I am would like to install a floating engineered wood floor in my kitchen. The floor will sit flush with the track of the sliding doors, and the tiles of the patio in the garden.

An expansion gap of maybe 10mm will be left between the edge of the flooring and the door track. Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do to hide the expansion gap? I don't want to use a threshold bar, or an edge profile, as these won't give me the flush finish that I'm looking for.

Looking forward to hearing your feedback :)

My kitchen - Floor will be leveled, underfloor heating installed, then engineered wood floor. Floor will be level with the track of the sliding doors. Expansion gap will be between the edge of the floor and the door track.

Kommentare (8)

• Juliet Docherty
    vor 6 Jahren

You can use cork. I have the same issue where my floor meets my original tiled hearth and I dislike any kind of (beautifying) edge strips. I haven't got around to it yet, but as cork expands and matches tonally I think it can work. My floor was put down with adhesive, will yours be?

• nixxi72
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren

Yes, the floor will be glued. Can I get different colour cork strips? The engineered wood floor is coffee coloured, and I would like the cork to match the colour of the wood. Thanks for your suggestion.

• PRO
    Prime Living
    vor 6 Jahren

Which way will you have the flooring running, is it running parallel with or perpendicular to the sliding doors?

If parallel to the doors you will need to leave a minimum 10-12mm, looking at the room length, but if running the other way and the ends of the boards were facing the doors, you could leave a smaller gap of 5-6mm, in which case you could have it professionally sealed with silicone, with a colour match to give a near perfect finish. If doing it this way get the fitter to use a full length spacer to ensure a perfectly straight edge.

nixxi72 hat Prime Living gedankt
  • nixxi72
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren

The ends of the boards will be facing the doors, so I guess could use silicone. The builder said that I can buy black silicone, so it should blend in with the colour of the floor track.

• PRO
    Prime Living
    vor 6 Jahren

You can get silicone in a wide range of colours, but personally I would get a professional to apply it. Get a good one and it will look almost factory-applied and the job will look great. Unless you're brilliant at applying silicone yourself, a less than perfect finish in this particular area will always draw your eye to it. Find someone local and it shouldn't be too expensive.

nixxi72 hat Prime Living gedankt
  • PRO
    Woodflooring Engineered Ltd
    vor 6 Jahren

If the boards are installed with the short lengths butting up to the sliding doors then you can install them pretty much right up to the edge of the sliding doors making sure that the ends of the boards are extremely water-tight / well-sealed, with as Prime Living advised above - silicone. Wood will only expand across the grain (i.e. width ways / long sides of engineered wooden floorboards )

www.woodflooringengineered.co.uk

nixxi72 hat Woodflooring Engineered Ltd gedankt
  • PRO
    Caldicot Kitchen & Bathroom Centre
    vor 6 Jahren

You can get 1001 colour-matched silicones - various suppliers such as mapei or bushboard. As recommended above, worth getting a decent pro to apply, given the width involved, and protect from dust while applying and until dry.

And if you're anything like me, ventilate well - if there is one thing guaranteed to get me retching, it is the smell of newly applied silicone!

Caldicot Kitchens

nixxi72 hat Caldicot Kitchen & Bathroom Centre gedankt
Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.