Houzz Logo Print
universalwood

Home owner would like an opinion on which looks better

Universal Hardwood Flooring & Moulding, Inc.
vor 10 Jahren
zuletzt bearbeitet:vor 10 Jahren
The home owner wants some advise on which direction the floor should run. There are some basic design rules but I wanted to get some other opinions.

Note : We did not install this !

Kommentare (10)

• Blue
    vor 10 Jahren
    When I had hardwoods put in, I was told the pieces should run perpendicular to the floor joists for added strength. Not sure there's any truth to that or not.
  • PRO
    KMC Homes
    vor 10 Jahren
    that is true if they are being fixed to the floor joists, if there is a floor or ply underneath you needn't worry
  • PRO
    Wyland Interior Design Center
    vor 10 Jahren
    I like the look of the planks running the length of the hallway, how will the relate to the larger room at the end of the hall? Have you thought of a border strip on each side of the hall? Or what about laying it on the diagonal?

However.... You may not have a choice depending what the kind of wood floor you are going with, is it a solid or engineered floor? It really is going to depends on what the manufacturer's installation specs are calling for to be able to determined what your layout will be. Both the sales person, hardwood installer's and homeowner need to have a discussion to which way they want the planks to run and then determined whether it can be done or not before installing the floor.

1). You need to follow the manufacturer's installation specs. Some 3/4" solid planks specs require running perpendicular to the floor joists, which means you might end up with the boards running across the hall if the joists are running the length of the hall ( like the posted photos). UNLESS, like KMC Elevation said if there is ply underneath which can add to the price of the job.

2). With engineered hardwood floors, I like one strip the best, you can usually go either direction and have an option of adding borders or designs if you have a good hardwood installer. Again this depends on the install specs from the manufacturer.
  • Linda Beam
    vor 10 Jahren
    I like the idea of diagonal
  • Ben
    vor 10 Jahren
    Generally you follow the longest wall as mentioned before. But sometimes a hall is perpendicular to the longest room. In those instances its up to you, but I like the boards to follow the hall so I would suggest a decorative board to separate the runs before you turn them down the hall. Sometimes you can use a darker color or breed of wood along the walls and cross sections as hedging. Done right it looks really highend.
  • culvercityhouse
    vor 10 Jahren
    Thank you for your responses. I have researched on engineer hardwood flooring; the layout of the planks against the joists (for extra support) is no longer an issue with this kind of hardwood floor. The question remains on the aesthetic of the layout in the rooms. I am used to see the vertical lines of the hardwood floor when I enter a house; my eyes are drawn to the lines of the floor. Now my house has a beautiful horizontal layout and my eyes are drawn to the color, the grain and the beauty of the wood. The vertical lines of the hardwood floor from the horizontal view disappear.
  • Jenny Youngblood
    vor 10 Jahren
    I did not want ANY seams in my hardwood floors or transition pieces. Therefore, we had the walnut floors layed parallel to longest length in most of the rooms- which meant the halls ending up looking like yours in the photo but in all bedrooms and kitchen, den and living room and bedrooms it all runs long ways- it took about two days of living in it to appreciate it, but I love having no seams and no changing directions/grains to my hardwood, so from your pictures while it may look unusual in the halls, I see that it opens to a large room and looks perfectly normal.
  • culvercityhouse
    vor 10 Jahren
    Indeed Jenny, the hardwood floor is completed in all the rooms of my house including the living room, office, dens areas and it looks so beautiful. I was so used to see the foor the conventional way (vertically). It is a new way of looking at the beauty of hardwood floor!
    Thank you for your input.
  • elcieg
    vor 10 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 10 Jahren
    I thought I had an opinion on the direction in which this hall was laid out, but when I started the search to prove my point, I saw so many hallways, abutting the main floor, installed either perpendicularly or horizontally that I had nothing to post.

What I will say is those little stubby cuts would drive me nuts. It looks like the work was done with leftovers. That would be my complaint.
Gesponsert

Laden Sie die Seite neu, um diese Anzeige nicht mehr zu sehen

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.