Houzz Logo Print
hannahgoldie

Worried about a hotchpotch house! Render/cladding advice please.

hannahgoldie
vor 5 Jahren

Hi,

I would really appreciate some advice on render and/or cladding options for the front of our house. It is a 1960s bungalow at the corner of a cul-de-sac of predominantly Chiltern brick houses and bungalows with white render.

We are extending to the right side and were granted planning permission for dark timber cladding on the front section to the right of the front door (currently brick). The left side of the house has a white render and the sides of the house and garage are in Chiltern brick. We were thinking of grey window frames.

I am really struggling to see how to tie it all together and am concerned the brick/cladding/render will look hotchpotch. Architects and contractors have suggested grey Marley board would look better on the right than dark timber as submitted to planning.

Thank you very much for your time and suggestions for our project!

Hannah

Kommentare (2)

• PRO
    Lacey Architecture
    vor 5 Jahren

You could consider matching the existing white render to whatever is used on your new extension. If you chose timber cladding, I could suggest something lighter, maybe a larch/Douglas fir/oak(/Marley board as suggested - as budget allows) with a protective UV oil coating (most people do not like the weathered timber look). You could then wrap this cladding over the existing area of white render across the corner and wrapping the garage also.

This would give a very modern look that ties the house together, and given the area of the garage is actually fairly small (once the garage door is discounted) the cost would be minimal.

If you are set of replacing the windows, ensure you pain the garage door the same colour. This is a really cheap change but again will help tie all together.

However, for the cheapest option, just using white render on the extension, will also work. This negates the requirement to over-clad perfectly serviceable finishes on the rest of the house.

N.B. Any changes to the front of the house may require a re-submission to the council for amendments.

• Carolina
    vor 5 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 5 Jahren

Do you have an architect's drawing of the new facade? I could try and photoshop the different finishes into that, to give you a visual.

Would be nice if the architect had done that for you, actually. But hey ho...

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.