Houzz Logo Print
ousle

Aluminium or UPVC windows

Rainbow752
vor 5 Jahren

DESIGN HELP NEEDED PLEASE!

Is it okay to mix and match doors and windows? Completing a new rear and side extension and total refurbishment. Chalet bungalow will be render and clad once finished. The rear extension has an modern overhang flat roof.

At the rear of the property, I plan on having 6m and 4m slim line aluminium sliding doors and a bifold aluminium door next to it in a different room. similar to these.

The Cedars: XP Glide, XP10 & XP Sky View · Mehr Info

An architectural extension in Loughton, Essex · Mehr Info

ALL OTHER WINDOWS - I would like to have in a very nice UPVC FLUSH CASEMENT timber effect. .

2 Reasons:

1) it is a lot cheaper (about £5000 less to have upvc)

2) I don't think there is much different between the flush upvc windows and an aluminium one.

see pictures;

These are the FLUSH UPVC casement windows:

These are the ALUMINIUM WINDOWS below

Thank you for all your advice and help.

All Aluminium doors and windows
Sliding Doors and Bifold in Aluminium and UPVC flush windows

Kommentare (17)

• PRO
    Origin - Doors and Windows
    vor 5 Jahren

Hi Rainbow, whilst aluminium does work out more expensive, if this is going to be your home for a long time, it may be worth considering the durability of aluminium vs UPVC. We manufacture aluminium doors and windows here in Britain and our products have an up to 20 year guarantee, so long term, aluminium is worth the investment. This article may be of help to you, it highlights the pros and cons of both materials: http://bit.ly/2CQpLw1 

We manufacture sliding and bi-fold doors too, so please let me know if you would like any further information on our products. Bi-fold Doors: http://bit.ly/2D00dgn Sliding Doors: http://bit.ly/2CSkuo1 Windows: http://bit.ly/2CPeJHr 

Thanks, Robyn

• PRO
    Defined Builds Limited
    vor 5 Jahren

One thing to consider also, Aluminium will be more expensive but as it is stronger the frame can be made smaller than UPVC and therefore give you more glass and light let in.

• JB BT
    vor 5 Jahren
    hi,. I agree with the other pros. aluminium is harder, wears so much better and allows for more light in small windows.
  • Rainbow752
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 5 Jahren

Thanks for your opinions. I agree aluminium is a stronger product. my first thought was to purchase aluminium. After my search, the issue I have is why pay nearly 3 times more for aluminium just because the frame size is a few millimetres thinner. The flush upvc is very nice quality and offers me the type of configuration and colour I would buy in aluminium. All my windows are quite large.

So, my quandary is will the upvc windows (which look timber) look strange mixed with aluminium sliding doors at the rear?

• Jonathan
    vor 5 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 5 Jahren

https://www.housebeautiful.com/uk/decorate/windows/a757/wood-pvc-u-myths/

This guide from the Wood Windows Alliance makes a good case for wood windows over UPVC. They concentrate on their longevity and strength. I notice the article didn’t mention the environmental impact of manufacturing and later disposal of UPVC windows but it did show a picture of a wood window that I though would sit very comfortably next to your bifolds.
    As I understand it wood window prices overlap the prices of higher quality UPVC windows.

• Rainbow752
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 5 Jahren

Thanks Michelle. Yes the configuration needs to be consistent. The profile frame needs to match as close as possible and the colour should match - would you agree?

I could treat the rear extension with large sliders as a completely different design and the house as another, like the image below.

If my house was a period house I think it would be fine to have a rear extension with slim line sliding aluminium doors and the rest of the house to have a more traditional window. See below.

But my house will be render clad chalet bungalow which is more modern, however it is in a conservation area but the planners do not seem bothered by the window material.

This picture below shows aluminium sliders (not slimline ones) and as far as I can see the windows above look like flush casements in upvc or timber.

• Houzz-Nutzer 55653142
    vor 3 Jahren

Hi, i just wondered what solution you came to on this? As I am facing the same quandary!

thanks

• Eva Green
    vor 3 Jahren

yes, I vote you can mix ...we are just about to embark on extension using aluminium slimline sliders and upvc flush casement windows. Colour matching isnt an issue, just make sure both manufacturers are working to the same RAL colour.
    All the best!

• Eva Green
    vor 3 Jahren

yes, I vote you can mix ...we are just about to embark on extension using aluminium slimline sliders and upvc flush casement windows. Colour matching isnt an issue, just make sure both manufacturers are working to the same RAL colour.
    All the best!

• Eva Green
    vor 3 Jahren

All the best!

• Houzz-Nutzer 55653142
    vor 3 Jahren

Thanks very much for sharing your thoughts. We were also looking at flush casement upvc - hopefully it will work well!

• Aaron Harris
    vor 3 Jahren

Regarding the grey flush upvc window in the author's post. Does anyone know where to buy these for customer self fit? I am doing a sleek garden room for my home when it gets a bit warmer! Cheers

• Eva Green
    vor 3 Jahren

hi @Aaron Harris I would recommend Edge Building Products sales@edgebp.co.uk, have found them very helpful.

• Aaron Harris
    vor 3 Jahren

Eva Green - do you know if they will allow the general public to purchase from them? It says trade account on the registration form. Thanks for the help. Aaron

• Sophie K
    vor 3 Jahren

I had the same issue, decided to bite the bullet and replace all the windows with aluminium like the shiny new extension. I think consistency is a key part of design, and I have not regretted my choice. I am too much of a stickler for detail not to become increasingly annoyed at the difference.

• Eva Green
    vor 3 Jahren

hi @Aaron Harris... yes they do

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.