Houzz Logo Print
diane_weston81

Architect vs Designer & Bedroom Entry in the Kitchen

Diane Weston
vor 5 Jahren

Recently, we purchased a house in Lake Havasu City, AZ. While the views and location are fantastic, the house is a total fixer. We are looking for thoughts, suggestions or wild-eyed ideas to assist us in a very specific design dilemma. Additionally, We don't know if we should be seeking the advice of an architect or a kitchen designer.

The #1 problem - The entry into the master bedroom is through the kitchen and master bath. Crazy! We don't know how to reconfigure the master bedroom entry.

My husband has completed a rough drawing with close but not exact measurements (windows are identified in the kitchen and living areas only). I have attached the drawing along with the official plot plan of the house and a picture looking into the kitchen to hopefully aid in the visual.

The house is on a cement slab and has a flat roof. (no attic space). The ceiling height is 8'. Our budget does not include adding square footage to the house. Moving water and drain lines is not a preferred option - it would require breaking up the slab - but moving them a short distance is doable. There is a spa tub (as drawn) in the master bath. We will be removing that. Currently there is no wall separating the master bath from the master bedroom. A wall and door is needed. A laundry room or laundry closet is also needed. We would prefer not to lose either of the two spare bedrooms in this part of the remodel.

I am looking for creative ideas! How do we reconfigure the kitchen so the master bedroom entry is not in the kitchen? Or how do we disguise the master bedroom entry?

We do not know at this time if the beams in this picture are load bearing or not. They will be removed if possible.

Kommentare (5)

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    vor 5 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 5 Jahren

Rule of thumb: if you're making large changes to the exterior of the house, foundation, roof, and/or moving multiple load-bearing walls, hire an architect. If you're just re-configuring interior spaces with no changes to the outside or roof, then you can hire an interior designer. If structural changes are required for just the interior, then the interior designer can work with a structural engineer to make the plans permit-ready. P.S. Those beams look structural, not decorative, but please confirm that with someone qualified on site and don't do anymore demo until that happens.

As for how to reconfigure the Master bedroom entry, I might relocate the W/D to the garage and rework the bath/bedroom entries.

Diane Weston hat Sabrina Alfin Interiors gedankt
  • Diane Weston
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 5 Jahren

Your Rule of Thumb for architect vs designer is extremely helpful. Answered a lot of questions for us. Thank you!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    vor 5 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 5 Jahren

Do the really smart thing: Get the architect, the pro KD.......and an interior designer all working in team/tandem with YOU. The money spent will become your reward in a smoother, better, and more cohesive result throughout your home. You will be shown possibilities you may not have even considered. The route to a better result, will be far less stressful as well. Make a team.

Whatever you do, don't "design" this here unless you want a thousand suggestions that may not even be possible : ) and will be more impossible to sift through.

Diane Weston hat JAN MOYER gedankt
  • ulisdone
    vor 5 Jahren

Hire a structural engineer asap.

• Diane Weston
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 5 Jahren

Thank you all for your advice. Rest assured that I am not so young to be foolish or unwise about the decisions to be made. The lack of responses on this forum (at this point) suggests to me that seeking out a designer is a must.

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.