Houzz Logo Print
kathyelizabeth87

Old bungalow conversion, new floor plan?

Hello all! We are in the process of wanting to completely redo an old bungalow we’re buying.
Due to having newborn twins, we are looking to get plans and get the work done as quickly as possible. Ideally we want to do a loft conversion of 2-3 bedrooms (neighbours have done so with dormer and no troubles), so it’s definitely something we will be doing in the future.
However, as we need to get moved in as quick as possible, and need to get a few rooms up to scratch before we can tackle big projects, we are thinking we need the floor plan to be completed first.
Would it be worth getting an architect at this stage or at a later date?
The front of the house is actually where the sitting room and kitchen is, and the garden is at the back with the bedrooms, so the layout feels very dated to me. Ideally we would like to go open plan and have a nice entry way and still keep 2 bedrooms downstairs. Do you think it’s possible looking at the current floor plan?
Any recommendations of professionals? :)
Thanks in advance!

Kommentare (5)

• PRO
    Rukmini Patel Interior Design
    vor 5 Jahren

Hello, I suggest you involve an architect as soon as possible with your proposal. For structural changes you really need to seek the advice of a qualified professional, especially as you will be adding a staircase, potentially knocking down walls and another level to your home. If your neighbours have done this without any problems, then the architect will be able to process the drawings through to planning permission easily.

Just a few pointers to help you when you speak to the architect; ideally you want to keep the kitchen in roughly the same area due to the gas and water pipe, same goes for your bathrooms they are always placed against an external wall so you may not be able to move them around too much. You could knock out the sitting room wall creating the living kitchen open plan. If you want to keep the two bedrooms, (new plans permitting) I suggest you keep them as they are.

Hope that helps :)

Rukmini Patel Interior Design

• PRO
    Design and Build London
    vor 4 Jahren

Hi, if the property is based in London, we would be more than happy to quote on your building project. Thanks, Edgar.

www.designandbuildlondon.com

• PRO
    Law Unto Ren Designs
    vor 4 Jahren

Definitely get an architect in as soon as possible. Planning permission can take time even if next door has done similar or the same! Structural changes are complex and an architect will rule out an ideas that don't have legs straight away; saving you time.

I would definitely go open plan and this is certainly possible for the space. I would even take some of the space from the large entrance hall as you already have an inner hall immediately behind. Also this would allow you to have a more definded and statement entrance at the front.

To achieve this you may need to incorporate a pillar or steel beam which is relatively easy to do. It is hard to say if you would need this though as it depends where the load of the roof and evetually the dormer extension would sit.

You could move the main bathroom upstairs, have a WC and two bedrooms on the left side of the back of the property - where the bathroom is and the odd hallways configuration which would allow for the living room to be opened up into the back of the property.

It all really depends on your budget and time constraints. Congrats on the twins, you must be thrilled (and exhausted!).

If you need any help regrding the interior design for this project or room layout and staging of rooms please don't hesitate to get in touch with me on 07570574493.

• rinked
    vor 4 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 4 Jahren

Make sure to have a good floorplan ready, especially where the staircase should go. How is your plot? I see your kitchen door is possibly used as main entry? If you have a back garden too (is it behind the house?), consider moving the kitchen-diner to bedroom1 and open up the sitting room towards bedroom1. Add garden doors (porch/back of new kitchen?). Kitchen could become the hall with WC. Stairs could then go where inner hall and current WC is. Quick scetch:

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.