Houzz Logo Print
lobo_93

How to re-arrange artwork on LR and FR (4 Photos)

lobo_93
vor 4 Jahren
zuletzt bearbeitet:vor 3 Jahren

<Posted yesterday and deleted today by mistake; here it goes again> After remodeling the FR, I need to rethink art placement. I thought about: (1) Bringing in the paintings that I have in the living room to the family room (because FR gets the sun coming through the West window walls; I think these ones have UV protective glass), and (2) Moving the oil canvases to the living room instead (because in LR they will be protected from direct sun).

Pics below: There are two rooms #1-(LR) Living room with a double-height wall (yellow walls), and #2-(FR) Family room with blank N wall (white walls). There are two different sets of paintings: #3-Modern/abstract, currently hung on the tall wall in LR/music room, and #4-Seascapes, currently on the floor :(, Let me know what you think. Thanks.

#1 Living Room (LR) -SW 7685 White Raisin:

#2 Family Room (FR) -SW 7005 Pure White:

#3 Modern/abstract art with UV protective glass:

#4 Seascapes canvases:

<Before and After -Update>:

My "houzz" · Mehr Info

Kommentare (28)

• lobo_93
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

<Posted yesterday and deleted today by mistake; here it goes again>

Beth H., Flo Mangan, tatts: Thank you for commenting. I will upload more photos tomorrow. For now, let me clarify:

There are two different rooms: #1-(LR) Living room with tall wall and piano, and #2-(FR) Family room with blank N wall and remodeled fireplace.

There are two different sets of paintings: #3-Modern/abstract, currently hung on the tall wall in LR/music room, and #4-Seascapes, currently on the floor :(,

Goal: I would like to switch the art between LR and FR.

• lobo_93
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

Beth H., Flo Mangan, tatts: While trying to upload the photos onto the original post, I ended up deleting my post and your comments ;(( Sorry, I hope you'll come back and comment.

• lobo_93
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 4 Jahren

Art size and orientation:

Art for LR: -(2) oil canvas/ golden frames: -medium/landscape: W=36 1/2" X H=29 1/2"; and W=36 1/2" X H=29". -(2) metallic frames: golden frame "musicians"/ portrait: W=19 1/4" X H=23 3/4"; red frame "sun storm"/ landscape: W=31 1/2" X H=26".

Art for FR: Modern/abstract (4) black frame & white passe-partout: -large/ portrait: W=34 1/2" X H=44 1/2"; -medium/ landscape: W=38" X H=28"; -small/ landscape (2): W=21 1/8" X H=17 1/8"

• groveraxle
    vor 4 Jahren

Lobo, if you're switching the art because you're worried about sun fading the canvases, you don't have to. You can protect those canvases if they haven't already been with Minwax Polycrylic in the blue can.

Lay the canvas flat, use any old brush, thin the polycrylic with a little water, brush it on in one direction only. Do the sides too. Be sure to get the matte version.

Minwax Polycrylic 32-fl oz Matte Water-based Polyurethane at Lowes.com · Mehr Info

lobo_93 hat groveraxle gedankt
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    vor 4 Jahren

I think I would place a collage of art at dining room table wall. Centered to table placement. No art near the TV.

lobo_93 hat LB Interiors gedankt
  • PRO
    Nandina Home & Design
    vor 4 Jahren

For over the piano, try something like this:

Buford Haven · Mehr Info

lobo_93 hat Nandina Home & Design gedankt
  • lobo_93
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

groveraxle Good to see you back! and thank you for the product advice. I am switching the art because I would love to see the modern pieces where I spent most of my time (open kitchen + home office + FR).

Just a bit more of background info: When we bought the house, we thought about “fixing the North wall” by opening picture windows to have a view of the mountains, but have not done that yet. Meanwhile, we hung the oil canvases (Caribbean seascapes) on that North wall, but they never really seemed to fit there, 1- because of our concern of sun-damage, and 2-because this house is as far as one can be from the ocean (USDA zone 8). Some kind of dissonance for the “here and now” of the FR, ha, ha (but I think they will be fine in the LR that could allow us to talk about our past and where we’ve been). So we took them down, and now we have the blank wall for you to work on ;)

LB Interiors Thank you for commenting. The side you are referring to is on the Westside, and the table there is a desk + chair, and not a dining room table. Let me post a better pic of that side tomorrow.

Nandina Home & Design Thank you for commenting and the inspo pic. How would you place these 4

in here? (W=17' X H=18')

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    vor 4 Jahren

Lobo. Oh I see that is a desk. What I meant was placing the art far enough away from the TV to create an art wall of its own in that space.

• groveraxle
    vor 4 Jahren

Four pieces with three close to the same size are hard to arrange. I'd probably use one of these two arrangements:

lobo_93 hat groveraxle gedankt
  • lobo_93
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

groveraxle Thank you; I like the 2nd one, let me try it. I think I might have to replace the red metal frame and/or the passe-partout on the “Sun Storm” one. Any suggestions?

• sloyder
    vor 4 Jahren

you could do a mock up on the floor using brown kraft paper, and when you get the placement right transfer the placements to the wall.

lobo_93 hat sloyder gedankt
  • lobo_93
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

sloyder Thank you for the advice. I just commented on your art post on Houzz ;)

• lobo_93
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

LB Interiors Sorry for the delay, here is the Family room/ home office:

-West Wall: home-office with window and door to backyard; note: no art on this wall because 1- the plantation shutters and 2- in-swinging door.

• lobo_93
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

...Actually we are in the process of "redoing this West Wall" (quoting/ buying): a) closing in-swinging door (single) and b) replacing the kitchen/breakfast nook window with a sliding door (double)

• lobo_93
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

I like the idea of connecting the kitchen/ breakfast nook to the outdoors while creating an adjacent space for the home office. What do you think of this inspiration photo for the "West wall'?

<edited: I could not write on the photo, so here are the comments: a) breakfast nook with door to backyard (r/b sliding door); b) bar cart on the wall to the right (r/b desk&chair); c) then existing windows>

• lobo_93
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

We bought the sliding door this past weekend ;)

<Update: Just realized that the Pella door might not come with a keylock>

• lobo_93
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

Indeed this sliding door does not have a keylock, and I might have too rethink this choice because it opens to the backyard. Following this "Find the Right Glass Door for Your Patio"; any specific recommendations from dedicated Houzzers?

<"West Wall">

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    vor 4 Jahren

Hi lobo. Thanks. I meant an Art Grouping on the fr Left Side of TV ..... on the Wall that faces the kitchen. But away from TV, to not surround the TV. A separate vignette on left side of TV space. I can't copy the pics to do a sketch. We used to be able to do that. :0

• lobo_93
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

LB Interiors Thank you AND we just replaced the TV with a 65" one. Back to rethinking that North wall space ;)

<"North Wall">

• lobo_93
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

Well, I found the courage and the contractor for redoing the West Wall by a) closing the FR single door and b) replacing the kitchen nook window with a sliding door instead.

• lobo_93
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

Work in progress: -STEP 1 (interior): window r/b double sliding door.

• lobo_93
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

-STEP 2 (exterior): closing the single door.

• lobo_93
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

-STEP 3 (interior is done!): finding window/door treatment.

The window and door that I removed had white shutters. In fact, I have white shutters throughout the whole house, and they will they stay for the time being. Now for the sliding door, I would need some advice, notice the afternoon sun shining through… Thanks!

• lobo_93
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

It's done, and now the sun/heat shinning through... What do you suggest to cover the glass doors:

Woven wood shades outside the frame? Rollers inside? Roman shades? or this vertical solar screen?:

Modern Kitchen · Mehr Info

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    vor 4 Jahren

it's too bad you don't have french doors instead of the slider. you have more variety w/the doors.

for the slider, the verticals would work, outside mount rollers/roman shades

here are some pics of options. see what you like

if you have french doors, other options:

lobo_93 hat Beth H. : gedankt
  • lobo_93
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

Beth H. Thank you for all the options! I like #7 the most... woven wood shades seem to go well with the rest. As an alternative, I was thinking b&w fabric shades to pick up with the fireplace colors and existing white shutters...

• lobo_93
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 3 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 3 Jahren

Hi Beth and all. I am back here because of your recommended window/ door coverings... I never covered the sliding door. Now that I remodeled the FR (with another window), I MUST include that door in my decision for window/ door coverings. If you have time, could you vote/ comment here? Thank you! https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5893846/help-with-sliding-door-coverings-b-w-brown-other

Gesponsert

Laden Sie die Seite neu, um diese Anzeige nicht mehr zu sehen

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.