Houzz Logo Print
johannacosby

countertops too white for cabinets:(

johannacosby
vor 4 Jahren

Just got my countertops installed yesterday and they are way too white in comparison to my cabinets. I mulled over this decision for six months and I’m so upset that I chose the wrong color. I knew that it would be a shade lighter than my cabinets, but it had some ivory veining that I thought would complement one another well. Instead, when you walk in my kitchen it just looks like the counters and cabinets clash. Ivory cabinets, white counters. My walls, crown molding, and plantation shutters are all ivory, so I fear it’s not as simple as just painting my cabinets. What would you do? Just live with it, or...?
Backsplash is coming in today- subway tile same color as frosty carrina counters. Obviously I’m going for the all white kitchen, as this is my dream kitchen and just my taste:)

Kommentare (114)

• Jora
    vor 4 Jahren

I absolutely LOVE the second backsplash Beverly suggested. Gorgeous backsplash which will marry your cabinets with your countertops. LOVE

• shwshw
    vor 4 Jahren

Following...

• PRO
    Deborah Meyer-Lowe's/Rancho Cordova, CA
    vor 4 Jahren

I think it will be beautiful. Use a grout color to match the cabinet color. White gives it a fresh pop and will help ot look light and bright.

• PRO
    Interior Dimensions and Design, LLC
    vor 4 Jahren

NO ONE looks good half dressed and in their underwear...that is what your kitchen is right now. It will look fabulous once the backsplash is in and your accessories are set. It appears you have the jitters in the anticipation dept. Everything looks wonderful so far and your color choices should look grand. Matchy matchy can be boring.

• Gcubed
    vor 4 Jahren

I think it looks great too! My cabinets are a little creamier white than my Calacutta Nuvo counter (subtle difference) but I really like it.

• flopsycat1
    vor 4 Jahren

Just wondering if you’re reassured yet?

• ljptwt7
    vor 4 Jahren

I too like Beverlys' 2nd tile pic. Can someone do a mockup with that in this kitchen? Thinking it may be a winner.

• shwshw
    vor 4 Jahren

• mary davenport
    vor 4 Jahren

We have similar taste. I love it. would love to see backsplash

• LilliCraig
    vor 4 Jahren

I think you have a winner but you are just not done yet.
    It looks like the countertop is a blue/white and the cabinets are a yellow/white. If you keep that in mind as you choose ‘the’ backsplash that will bring them together you will have a gorgeous kitchen. Good luck.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    vor 4 Jahren

Keep subway white like countertops or it is going to start looking to ivory one note....that white will keep kitchen bright and crisp and provides contrast with the cabinets...

• johannacosby
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

UPDATE!
    First of all- Thank you all SO much for your advice and making me feel very much better about my colossal “mistake” :)
    I think I’ll always wish I either had all white or all ivory...but you live and learn and love what you’ve got!
    Background info: This (obviously) is not a new construction but rather just a little update on a 10 year old kitchen. So I was choosing the new countertop and backsplash based off of the existing cabinets and floors and my desire for a fresh, light kitchen within our budget. Previous countertop was black granite, backsplash was a busy black and tan.
    New countertop is Frosty Carrina quartz and backsplash is subway tile in Soft White from Triton Stone. I decided on tile and grout that matches the counters in order to avoid a distracting look and/or another color mistake...because obviously I’m not the best at choosing appropriate shades of ivory/white. Ha!
    I took pictures in different lighting so hopefully you get a good idea of the true colors. I hope this helps anyone who is faced with this ivory/white issue in the future...or if you just love the color combo;)
    Thank ya’ll again for all of the wonderful advice and support!!

• Mrs. S
    vor 4 Jahren

Well, I just love that choice for the backsplash. Great job.

• njmomma
    vor 4 Jahren

Beautiful. You kept it simple and it's beautiful!!!

• Shannon_WI
    vor 4 Jahren

Looks fabulous! And I am a big fan of horizontal outlets too. It's a nice touch that many people don't think of.

• User
    vor 4 Jahren

Pretty!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    vor 4 Jahren

Great job! Love it

• Carolae
    vor 4 Jahren

It’s beautiful, and looks intentional! Enjoy!

• ILoveRed
    vor 4 Jahren

Two thumbs up.

• shwshw
    vor 4 Jahren

Yay!

• ljptwt7
    vor 4 Jahren

Backsplash looks great with counters & cabinets. Enjoy!

• Anne Duke
    vor 4 Jahren

Not a mistake at all, right? Beautiful!

• nhb22
    vor 4 Jahren

Looks great! How big of a job was taking off the old granite. I always thought that it would tear the cabinets up. Would love to do that in my kitchen. I have never been happy with my granite.

Other Questions:

I am impressed that you were able to find a paint color that matched your kitchen so well. Care to share the brand and color?

What are your floors? Real wood or other? Stain color?

I love how the island is a little different. Granite color? So pretty with your cabinets.

• Karenseb
    vor 4 Jahren

looks great.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    vor 4 Jahren

Looks great - warm and inviting and thought out... not haphazard or a mistake at all. Frankly - much better than an all white or all ivory kitchen - there's more depth here...

• shwshw
    vor 4 Jahren

A happy accident, but tell all your friends it was planned.

• acm
    vor 4 Jahren

Yay for a happy outcome! Oh, those earthenware vases couldn't be better!! :)

• RedRyder
    vor 4 Jahren

Johanna, it’s gorgeous! You got tremendous support to stickvwith the ivory and white and it’s fabulous. It looks so elegant - no one would know it’s a 10 year old kitchen. Houzzers really stepped up. Happy Ending!!

• suellenh
    vor 4 Jahren

I love the slight contrast between your cabinets and countertop. Much more interesting than totally matched! Your backsplash should be something you absolutely love...perhaps a very interesting marble with creams, not grays...very soft in color so it doesn't drag your eye.

• Missi (4b IA)
    vor 4 Jahren

It's perfect!

• LilliCraig
    vor 4 Jahren

SPECTACULAR! I love it.

• jbtanyderi
    vor 4 Jahren

Ivory always looks “not quite clean”.

• PRO
    Old World Timber
    vor 4 Jahren

It looks absolutely beautiful. You stuck with your dream house designs and now you get to live your dream!! Great work!!

• dls250
    vor 4 Jahren

johanna, I am so thankful for your posts and for your before/after photos! I found this page when searching for a solution to the same problem you had: too white countertops clashing with offwhite cabinets. But I LOVE your finished kitchen! it looks intentional and stylish and I would never have guessed it was ever at risk of veering off course due to an accidental mismatch. My countertops were just installed today and I literally have a stomach ache from looking at the bright white clashy countertops. Unfortunately, mine are worse because I have cold grey veining in my stark white countertops. I'd picked the grey veining because I'm getting an Azul Blue island top. (The bright white perimeter tops look much worse in person than my photo below shows.) I'm going to test out some white subway tiles like yours for the backsplash and I can only pray my final result can be half as classy-looking as your kitchen! Thank you a million times for your post and pics! You brought a spark of hope to me after my disastrous kitchen error!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    vor 4 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 4 Jahren

Dls250...you kitchen is going to be gorgeous...hang in there....hardware on the cabinets will also add another element and in silver will add to the slight gray veining in the countertops...here are a few suggestions....white subway in herringbone pattern.

• dls250
    vor 4 Jahren

Thanks, I'm definitely going to try the white tile. This photo looks great. I also have black stainless appliances, which haven't shipped yet. Do you think I should see if I can switch to stainless instead?

• felizlady
    vor 4 Jahren

Cream and white is a beautiful combination. And BeverlyFLADeziner’s backsplash suggestions are perfect.
    Yes, switch your appliances to stainless if it’s possible. The black would be harsh.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    vor 4 Jahren

Oh yes stainless not black... are the switch!:)

• ci_lantro
    vor 4 Jahren

Johanna, you just pulled off a great save! Looks like you intended that all along. Very nice job.

• skunst2017
    vor 4 Jahren

Beautiful kitchen !

• cpartist
    vor 4 Jahren

Actually I'd pick up one of the colors from the azul counter for the backsplash. It will then tie the island in with the perimeter and take away the feeling of 3 different whites on the perimeter.

• louroberts
    vor 4 Jahren

johannacosby Thank you for this post. I am in the process of redoing my kitchen and was wondering about how to mix cream and white because i do not want a completely white kitchen as I thik it would be too stark. Your finished kitchen is beautiful.

• RedRyder
    vor 4 Jahren

Switch the appliances. The new darker color will be very stark in this kitchen.

• dls250
    vor 4 Jahren

johannacosby - May I ask where you got your plantation shutters? I love them,

• dls250
    vor 4 Jahren

cpartist, the "azul" countertop really looks more grey depending on the lighting, so we went with your suggestion and found a great beveled mosaic tile with off-white, bright white, and varying greys. Everyone was right about marrying the colors with the backsplash tile -- I am so very happy with the way it all turned out! It was too late to change our appliances from black stainless to silver, but with the dark greys in the tile I think it tied it all together well. I can't even tell you all how much I appreciate the suggestions in this forum. You're the best!!

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    vor 4 Jahren

The kitchen looks great! I dislike stainless appliances so the black stainless speaks to me!

Enjoy your new kitchen!

• PRO
    essentials inside
    vor 4 Jahren

I also like the black stainless!

• PRO
    Affordable Design And Blinds 618-226-4426
    vor 2 Jahren

I think you have a strong enough contrast it looks good they compliment each other not clash! Nothing to worry about!

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    vor 2 Jahren

Post is from 2020

• Caroline Kelly Kryger
    letztes Jahr

This is beautiful ! I love cream and white ! I know post is from 2019 and I hope you are enjoying your beautiful kitchen !

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.