Houzz Logo Print
maplelane123

Stairway Chandelier - lighting advice

maplelane123
vor 3 Jahren

Hi - I had to move away from suspended chandelier for 3-story stairway for a number of reasons.

I have narrowed it down to these two options which are available locally. One is LED and the other is just regular bulbs. I don't understand the implications of each. Also, I want it to sit about 15ft down the stairway and so I would like your thoughts on which one would have bigger impact/work better and give better light.

The Aura LED light - website says max height is 158.00inches so I think that would be long enough.

The Metron Gold Cubist - website says Chain length is 39", Wire length 40", and cord length is 51". Not sure if someone with lighting experience could opine on whether the Gold Cubist will be long enough.

I have also attached a picture of the stairwell. Ours has glass instead of rails.

Welcome your thoughts. TIA - Nicoletta

Aura Led light - https://www.zgallerie.com/p-metron-chandelier-022164797
Metron Chandelier - https://www.zgallerie.com/p-metron-chandelier-022164797

Kommentare (15)

• Houzz-Nutzer 187528210
    vor 3 Jahren

I’m not sure either one is long enough or big enough. I think you do need something with a chain...😬

maplelane123 hat Houzz-Nutzer 187528210 gedankt
  • PRO
    User
    vor 3 Jahren

Hi Nicoletta, if the stairway is used by public you need to provide at least 100 lux on the staircase for safe movement. In residential buildings it is usually alright to light a staircase around 75 lux. Also, you need to consider, will there be any elderly people above 50 using the staircase? From the choices you made above, I doubt that the light would be able to reach to the bottom of the staircase from the top. There are 2 ways of lighting a staircase with this kind of height: 1: Wall mounted or ceiling mounted fittings at each landing, 2: handrail lighting

• maplelane123
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 3 Jahren

Hi - this is for our residential home. There is lighting on each floor. We were originally hoping to find something that would provide lighting from top of 3rd floor to bottom of main but we have had challenges sourcing as are located in the Caribbean and have challenges getting stuff in so we have to resort to finding something local, which limits a lot of the options. We expect that a chandelier pendant will now just hang down to the second story and serve more as a showpiece.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    vor 3 Jahren

You can have the additional chain and wire added to about any fixture, probably also find out if you can custom order a longer cable for the one with no chain.

LED means no changing the light bub, but it also means you are stuck with whatever color value that bulb has cool or warm. I would opt for putting LED bulbs in the regular sockets that gets you more options on the color if the light while still giving you longevity.

• PRO
    User
    vor 3 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 3 Jahren

If you have lighting on each floor, then this should be alright then. The pictures of chandeliers above will be more for decorative purposes and not provide much light on the staircase. Another idea is that you use multiple pendant lights and suspend them at different heights. Something like in the picture below. It is easy to find spherical pendant lights everywhere at low cost and they add ambiance to space. Oh yes, I forgot to mention that the lengths of suspension wires can be customized. Manufacturer's provide you with a standard length, but you could call them and ask them for optimization. It is possible.

@RL Relocation LLC You get LED bulbs with various colour temperature nowdays ranging from 2200K to 6000K. You are not stuck to one colour temperature only. If you consider Philips Hue LED bulbs and connect them via a Bridge, then you can even achieve tuneable white and optimise the colours as per psychological needs.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    vor 3 Jahren

i know that, thats why i said buy a fixture you can choose your own bulb color from. Built in LED may not be the color temp you want.

• maplelane123
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 3 Jahren

Unfortunately, we have not been able to source here as this is what we originally wanted. So we have now two large options to choose from instead.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    vor 3 Jahren

I'm confused? you can source from Zgallarie but not find pendants?

• maplelane123
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 3 Jahren

Unfortunately, we have not been able to source here as this is what we originally wanted. We have had issues with couriers and stores themselves have had issues with getting stuff in because of covid. So we have now two large options to choose from instead that are available at the store. The zgallerie was purchased from someone and so is available already locally. We have run out of time as builder needs to install ASAP.

• maplelane123
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 3 Jahren

Hey, sorry somehow my response shows up ahead of your reply.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    vor 3 Jahren

im still trying to figure out why you cant find pendant lighting...

• maplelane123
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 3 Jahren

Hi @RL Relocation LLC. I live on a very small island in the Caribbean with limited furniture stores and they will have maybe 2 pendants in stock to show you and the rest has to be ordered and shipped in. With Covid, I had hoped to be able to go off-island and locate myself but we are not allowed to travel at the moment. I have been dealing with 2 different furniture stores to find pendant lighting and source as I didn't want to ship directly in myself. If something were to come in broken, dealing with Customs here can be challenging here so it is recommended that you source and get shipped in through furniture store as they deal with refund, any shipping costs issues of returning, etc. I provided a generous budget to two different stores and in both cases, they came back with suggestions weeks later that fit way outside my budget and we have been going back and forth for over 2 months now but unfortunately it takes time and I ran out of it. At times, if I actually found something online on Lightology, they couldn't bring in directly because they don't have account with the company (eg. Kuzco, Fanale, etc.) so it has been a bit frustrating; but a learning process. I may have to resort to bringing in myself and cross fingers that nothing arrives broken.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    vor 3 Jahren

oh that is a challenge, you would think the stores there would stock a little more deep, but I understand that. Have you ever thought to reach out to someone on the island who might be able to fabricate something, glass artist..?

• daisiesandbutterflies
    vor 3 Jahren

I prefer non-pointy chandeliers in general.

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.