Houzz Logo Print
raku2day

Need ideas for new front entry.

raku2day
vor 10 Jahren
We've just finished extensive grading of our property due to water problems and need help with the design for our new entryway. Any ideas out there? The door is at an odd angle and makes steps etc. a little harder to plan.

Kommentare (12)

• qam999
    vor 10 Jahren
    Are you planning to remove bricks? If not, they need a good cleaning to remove all that moss/algae/mold/dirt.

If you do remove bricks, then I would choose something like slate for steps and paving, and just lay out the front walk and/or patio, possible with planting beds. Don't forget lighting, both for transit and possibly for using the patio after dark.
    raku2day hat qam999 gedankt
  • kcar66
    vor 10 Jahren
    Pie shaped steps would be nice & welcoming & it looks like the area would be big enough for a chair & or some pots for plants.
    raku2day hat kcar66 gedankt
  • raku2day
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    We've already removed the bricks etc. The plan for the new steps is the main issue right now. I'd like to have several options to see before deciding on the final plan.
  • leelee
    vor 10 Jahren
    You could add stone even if you decide to keep the brick. You could also complete your entry using brick. Instead of built in planters just use pots filled with different flowers for the seasons.
  • PRO
    Architectural Gardens, Inc
    vor 10 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 10 Jahren
    First, what climate are you in? Second, what issues are you having with the front steps? From the photo I don't see any obvious issue. Do you need a wheelchair ramp or some similar requirement?

Please post a pic from the front door looking outward so I can see the rest of the driveway and entry space.
  • PRO
    Lone Star Blinds
    vor 10 Jahren
    Seems that if you built a large raised wood deck that was at door level, you'd be able to create a sense of space and a welcoming space towards the front door. I'd make the deck at least 10' x 10'. Make it large enough to have room for a couple if chairs or a bench and some potted plants.
  • PRO
    Doors For Builders Inc
    vor 10 Jahren
    Hello. We would suggest painting frame and sidelites a different color to siding on the entry unit. Best of luck!
    raku2day hat Doors For Builders Inc gedankt
  • PRO
    Patio Productions
    vor 10 Jahren
    A couple of concrete stairs and planters would look great along with some planters. Right now there is no path to the door so its just a door in a corner. The right planter placement would add some interest. Also I like Door for Builders suggestion of painting the door frame and side lights a different color to set the entry apart.

Here is a picture of concrete stairs and planters but even stand alone planters (not built in) would work well).

ottawa ave exterior · Mehr Info
    raku2day hat Patio Productions gedankt
  • raku2day
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    We had a large deck at door level before . Had to remove it to take out an oil tank underneath that was no longer needed. The large deck felt like you were on stage and there was no room for plantings etc. We don't use the front for sitting etc. as there is a lake on opposite side of house where we entertain on another deck.
    We don't want a wheel chair ramp at this time , just a more attractive entry.
  • PRO
    STUDIO MB
    vor 10 Jahren
    How about floating your steps like this...and stagger them..
    raku2day hat STUDIO MB gedankt
  • capitalreo
    vor 8 Jahren

I would do multi-angle like half an octagon with some of the built in planters like the photo above.

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.