Houzz Logo Print
jillsideas

New house, hate these laminate floors!

Jillian McClintock
vor 9 Jahren
I am trying to find an inexpensive solution to these floors. Budget is tight since we are making two house payments right now but I would like to take advantage of the fact that there won't be any furniture to move and the floors are prepped. What about going over them with a self stick vinyl wood plank product in a color I prefer or even make a large parquet design?

Kommentare (9)

• decoenthusiaste
    vor 9 Jahren
    Wool sisal-look area rugs would be helpful and warm up the space too. Be sure one under the table is 4' wider and longer that it. You could almost fill the rooms with rugs, leaving 18" or so around the perimeter.
  • dfromthebdot
    vor 9 Jahren
    Ditto a large area rug until you have the budget to do a quality flooring. Maybe tone down the blue, so it doesn't look as harsh with the orange-y tone of the floor.
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    vor 9 Jahren
    A laminate probably means it is "floating". You can not intall a glue/nail/staple/stick in place floor over a floating floor. If you want to go over a floating floor...you need to use a floating floor. At that point in time, you will loose another 1/2" of floor height...which means you are better off removing the old laminate and installing a new floor.

If you read the instructions as to "installation" for the flooring you mentioned, they all have requirements that the subfloor must be "securely fastened"...this means laminate is not an appropriate "substrate" for any of the options you have going on there.
  • fredm51
    vor 9 Jahren
    It is a floating floor which means that it is not fixed to the subfloor. It is only attached to the next plank. If you do not like the floor, and I can see why, either get someone or remove it yourself. Most laminate is click lock so start at one side, not the ends and unclick it. I should take a few hours at the most and get what you want.
  • Lanitra Bynum
    vor 9 Jahren
    Get rid of that blue wall and paint it the same color as the rest of the room. Get some rugs that beige and white with texture. If you want an accent wall, only the wall straight ahead should be painted a different color. The color should be in same family like tan or brown. I think that will help a lot.
  • Jillian McClintock
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I have not moved into the house yet. NOT MY DECOR!!!! Just asking about floors. Of course area rugs would hide it. Not sure that will do, but might try. Thought it might be easier to address issue before moving in furniture Thanks for pointing out that floating floor will not work as substrate. May have to remove and start over. Thanks again everyone!
  • victorianbungalowranch
    vor 9 Jahren
    I put in a vinyl plank floor and it isn't as shiny as laminate, but it also doesn't really look like wood. It is OK in a high-traffic area, but I wouldn't put in in the main rooms instead of real wood, unless moisture is a problem. I found it a little fussy to install and difficult to cut neatly. You need a very flat surface underneath or all the little bumps and whatnot will show. It is pretty tough, but wouldn't you know, we had a battery charger explode a week after installation and put burn marks in it. Thank goodness there wasn't a fire. Patching is hard to do without being rather obvious.

I have laminate in a rental and it has held up well. It is easier to put over an uneven surface than the vinyl plank. Like others said, if you are on a limited budget, I would just go with some nice rugs to put over it, and save up for a wood floor someday.
  • fredm51
    vor 9 Jahren
    I agree with victorianbungalowranch vinyl plank does not give you the look of real wood. But it works very well in a RV remodel.
Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.