Houzz Logo Print
presidio02

Accent tiles above range ideas

presidio02
vor 9 Jahren
I've laid these tiles on the floor to play.
Which do you like better of the two?
Other ideas?

Kommentare (19)

• PRO
    Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
    vor 9 Jahren
    The second design is better, but you need to find a trim piece to surround your square pattern with. The small square tiles up against the cream tiles needs separation.......Look for a simple cream colored surround trim piece.....

Also, I would make the accent over the range as large as possible.
  • stuntchick
    vor 9 Jahren
    follow it up to the hood and keep it universal. All that range deco designs are dated. good luck. Find something interesting that can be universal
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    vor 9 Jahren
    I agree the same tile no mural or fancy layout that is sooo yesterday.
  • presidio02
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    Thank you for your feedback.
    I've already bought and received the tile. Contractor almost ready to install.

Is Going ALL 2x2 tile in this space too much?
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    vor 9 Jahren
    Looking forward to seeing the photos of the finished tile work!
  • presidio02
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    I'm afraid
  • leelee
    vor 9 Jahren
    Better to waste a few $$ now than do something that you'll regret. Tile is busy enough on its own without adding a design. Don't do it.
  • marthak99
    vor 9 Jahren
    I disagree with those who posted against focal point above the range. (They actually seemed rather rude and insulting when all you asked was which design they preferred, not whether to do it at all.) Anyhoo, I like the second design better--more interesting. I'm trying to figure out the same thing for my backsplash; your kitchen layout is exactly the same as mine--had to check and make sure I didn't draw it! I think (since you asked) that going all 2x2 tiles is too much, seems like a wall of tile coming at you. I think you could also get away with not having a trim piece surrounding the cream tiles since it's all straight lines, and you don't have a lot of room up in there anyway with a 30" range space. Don't worry if posters here say it's dated; everyone has their own opinion. Go ahead and do what you like--it's your house, and if it makes you smile to look at a design while you're cooking at the range, then it's the right thing to do. Good luck!
  • PRO
    Indigo Kitchen & Bath
    vor 9 Jahren
    I hope that I don't come across as rude, but I agree with the first few posts. However, if you LOVE the idea of a focal point, then by all means pick what you love :) If I had to pick between the two, I would pick the first one.
  • Denita
    vor 9 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 9 Jahren
    My only comment is this: take a look at this houzz search link below that shows a tile focal point behind the range and each of them have a trim piece to surround the focal point as Lampert Dias pointed out in the first post. The trim piece will give your focal point a finished look no matter which design you choose. Photo is one of the many examples in the link.

http://www.houzz.com/photos/kitchen/tile-focal-point-behind-range-
    Traditional · Mehr Info
  • leelee
    vor 9 Jahren
    marthak, people come to Houzz to get the opinions of others. Nobody is being rude or insulting.

We try to save people money, time and future Design Dilemmas. Sometimes posters don't even know what's actually causing their dilemma. People take the advice or not. But to tell someone "just do what you want" is a bit silly when surely they're aware that they have that option in the first place.
  • marthak99
    vor 9 Jahren
    leelee, Yes, we come to Houzz for opinions, but several posters didn't respond to the question/opinion she asked for, merely poopooed the overall choice she'd made, which seems rude to me. She didn't ask if we thought she should do it but which design we liked better. My comment was giving her encouragement for making herself happy and not second-guessing her desires because others criticized her. I've been flamed when I asked for help in Design Dilemmas; not helpful at all. Indigo Kitchens' reply was honest in her opinion yet helpful by choosing which pattern she preferred (answering the OP's dilemma), and didn't come across as judgemental as did others ("dated" "soooo yesterday" and "you'll regret it"). So no, I didn't tell her to "just do what you want", I told her to do what makes her happy. The focal point is what she wanted, and it's her house, so she should smile at her own designs and not be concerned if strangers declare them as dated.

Perhaps the posters didn't think they were being rude or insulting, but it came across that way to me. The poster who declared it would be better for her to waste her money (since she'd already bought the tiles and contracted the installation) and not do what she wanted to do wasn't helpful; who is she to decide that she would "regret" doing it?

Okay, now I'm starting to ramble and that's not good for anyone. My apologies for hijacking this thread a bit. I'll get down off my soapbox now.
  • User
    vor 9 Jahren
    This kind of design needs pencil molding to separate it from the background tile. It'll look more polished.
  • presidio02
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    Thank you Everyone! I can be too sensitive at times but I quickly learned from previous postings not to be with Houze comments. You get the gamut. I find it easy to ignore comments I don't like. ( I wish I were able to do that better in real life). Some comments make you think about the problem differently. Some confirm your own thoughts and just give you that bit of reassuring you were looking for. Marthak99, I appreciate that you cared enough to take the time to get involved and support me. One of my problems with this discussion board is not getting enough responses... So thanks all for posting and putting my thread up there for others to see!
  • presidio02
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    Here is what I am going to go with.
  • PRO
    Indigo Kitchen & Bath
    vor 9 Jahren
    Love it!
  • presidio02
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    Thank you for your help Houze members! I love the results
  • Carol Johnson
    vor 9 Jahren
    That's perfect, it's a nice understated element that works great with your tile.
Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.