Houzz Logo Print
becky_gentleman

Copper & Mint Green do-able with Black work tops, chrome & Stainless??

Becky Gentleman
vor 6 Jahren
I’ll try to keep this brief but I’m going mad currently and it’s had me awake all night! We have lived in our house 7 years & recently totally redecorated our lounge (which I love!) but I’m really starting to hate my black/white/red modern kitchen. I’ve fallen in love with the idea of a copper & mint green kitchen but the fabric of the kitchen has to stay due to budget. I’ve also recently re-vamped my bathroom just using accessories & really have the bug! On impulse I have purchased mint kettle, toaster & retro microwave and was thinking of just putting in a few accents of copper using storage jars, lighting etc my main goal is for it to look more rustic/shabby chic & less modern. My kitchen is small with not much natural light for most of the day. The ceiling is also quite low so would a pendant light work? Do they have to go over an island or table? Obviously all the red accessories will be replaced along with the red blind. I’d like to bring in more herb pots & plants. I’ve also been looking at copper spray paints & chalk paints to up-cycle vases & plant pots I already have. I just want it to feel a little brighter, more Homely & less dark & modern, I look at it & feel it’s very dated & not at all imaginative. Another concern is I have a stainless steel sink, hob & hood, chrome taps & door handles! Will it all look to much?! Any help/suggestions please?

Kommentare (17)

• PRO
    User
    vor 6 Jahren

. I think you can take everything red out of the kitchen and swap that for green as that works well with black and white. I like the idea of the spray paint ( love a bit of spray paint ) for the pots. Careful with Chalk paint in a kitchen - don't listen to the hype, infact, I really think it's had it's day since most people have found out just how non-versatile it really is. It' not washable,or waterproof and quite frankly it 's rubbish.

( I'll probably get hate mail for that one ).

I wouldn't go for a pendant, it's not right for the space and will darken things down further. How about this spotlight?

Black and copper, so you know it will work.

• chloeloves
    vor 6 Jahren
    Hi Becky
    You could certainly make a few changes without spending big bucks, the easiest would be to paint the walls a mid tone shade to counteract all that black. I would have suggested an olive green but that will not go with mint green accessories, what other colours do you like? You could put up a small oak finish shelf in the corner above the washing machine to put a plant on. Do not replace the light fitting with a pendant as this looks to be your main light source and a pendant light will just light the floor and you will be cooking in the dark! As soon as you can afford to, changing the tiles from black to a lighter shade will be a huge improvement. Another quick fix is to create a simple curtain to hide the washing machine, again this will remove some more of the dominant black. This could be simple linen or a pattern to tie in with your new blind. I would definitely introduce some pattern otherwise it may all look too blocky. I hope that makes sense!
  • Becky Gentleman
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    Thank you both for your replies. Both fantastic ideas! Never thought about the practicality of the chalk paint in a kitchen! & whilst I was desperate to get rid of that awful chrome spotlight eyesore on my ceiling the lack of light would not be helpful so the copper replacement is a fab idea. Also the shelf above the washing machine is fantastic! More space for some pretty things but it won’t take away any of my worktop space. Not sure about wall colour? But the fabric over the washing machine & matching blind is perfect way to add some softer more feminine touches to the kitchen! Thank you. Lots for me to get stuck in to!
  • PRO
    User
    vor 6 Jahren

If you're feeling brave you can actually spray paint the appliances with car paint. There's a lot of black in there that would be better toned down as chloeloves says.

Really depends how brave you are. Ideally, i'd do the fridge, washing machine and dishwasher, leave the oven.

• Becky Gentleman
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    Wow that looks much brighter & lighter! Thanks I’ll certainly look into that. I’m not certain about white? Funny really that we paid more for black appliances not that long ago! Typical woman and now I’ve changed my mind about it!
  • Sonia
    vor 6 Jahren
    Hi Becky, apart from the red, what screams out to me is the black tiles. If you can afford it, get them removed and replaced with a nicer neutral tone such pale grey, white, or even a very soft mint green. Man About is right about chalk paint, a total con. I bought the well known Annie Sloan one and it said no need for primer etc, so I painted an old unvarnished pine wardrobe. It was really difficult to use, dragged a lot, and the wood bled through. It is extremely delicate and chips so I varnished it - took me bloomin’ ages, so much for easy to use! I’m not happy with the finish but it will have to do! Good luck with your refurb, you have some great suggestions here.
  • Rose Williams
    vor 6 Jahren

I have black granite surfaces, black appliances, black carcasses, dark slate floor, turquoise gloss cabinet front, hammered copper and steel accessories, gold and metallic tiles... and mint green walls. ... so a step further than where you are thinking of going.
    The one thing I have to say is get the lighting right! I have LED lights under the cabinets with motion detectors so you are never without light where you need it and dont have to think about it... EVER, they are a godsend. Also, there are spotlights directly above other surfaces for when extra is needed. As you can assume correctly, my kitchen is very dark, doesnt get a lot of natural light at all, but the lighting keeps it warm and inviting

• PRO
    Onyx Interiors London
    vor 6 Jahren

Hi Becky!

I love the idea of copper and mint green kitchen. You've already bought some minty stuff which is great, you can still use them. Heres what I'm thinking...

1. Get some spotlights in there perhaps underneath your wall cabinets?

2. Love the idea of bringing in more herb pots & plants.

3. Change the tiling to mint green or perhaps something a lot lighter, like the marble effect? It will go perfectly with the mint green theme.

Heres some pictures I found that might help you, it is quite close to your dark granite worktop.

Let me know how it goes.Hope this helps and good luck!

Gage Interiors

• Rose Williams
    vor 6 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 6 Jahren

oh... blackboard paint. I am using Mr & Mrs Smith "bloomsbury townhouse" Rich flat matt black. Its been in use for a good year, and wipes down well. I've got to say its a lot better since I switched to using liquid chalk markers rather than traditional chalk though

• Daisy England
    vor 6 Jahren
    I think the black metro tiles make the kitchen dark. Is there any way to swap them within budget?
  • J C
    vor 6 Jahren
    Interesting to hear about others experiences with chalk paint.... I thought it must just be me...... I’ve had to redo everything previously done with chalk paint...... there’s just so many better alternatives, which look just as good and have a far superior and more robust finish!
  • Becky Gentleman
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    Have convinced hubby to replace tiles! (Yay) I'm hoping for white/light grey slate brick tiles love their natural texture. Rose I would LOVE to see a photo of your kitchen? It sounds fantastic! I love gold (anything shiny really) thank you all again for your ideas I was so confused about where to start but now I've got some fab ideas and have a much better idea of what I'm doing, I may actually sleep tonight! Or not from the excitement! Off to sample tiles at the weekend. Hoping to convince hubby floor needs doing also! I'll can't wait to post pictures of the end result :-)
  • Rose Williams
    vor 6 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 6 Jahren

hi Becky. I just realised I didn't have up to date photos of the kitchen... plus it's filthy right now.. we have acro props up, knocked a wall through etc this week and the kitchen is "open".... but I took a couple of quick pics anyway to see if it helps :) The Black paint we write our shopping lists on is actually the doorway given the walls are over 40cm thick

• Becky Gentleman
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    Oh wow I love those tiles :-) it looks incredible!
  • Rose Williams
    vor 6 Jahren
    thanks Becky... they were actually cheap too... though helps that I planned and tiled myself. I have cream gloss cabinets in my laundry with all rest the same setup so will try to get a pic of that combination for you
  • Rose Williams
    vor 6 Jahren
    forgive the "living" state but on lighting... those 3 glass pendants are commented on a lot. they are not bright with the old edison industrial bulb type but create a wonderful ambiance.
Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.