Houzz Logo Print
eboos77

What type of solar panels are these and where can i buy them?

eboos77
vor 10 Jahren
I would like a metal roof and solar panels on my home being built in Arizona
Environmentally Friendly · Mehr Info

Kommentare (13)

• eboos77
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    Thank you very much. I was able to find these solar alternatives and a little info on them. It seems the efficiency is far less and cost similar or greater which is really unfortunate because they look great. Hopefully in a couple years...Thanks again!
  • PRO
    Kipnis Architecture + Planning
    vor 10 Jahren
    They should actually cost less, but are correspondingly less efficient. So their cost per watt should be very similar. They degrade about 1% per year, so in 20 years they are at 80% of their efficiency.
  • PRO
    vor 10 Jahren
    You are right, it certainly is a clean look.
  • PRO
    Red Door Design and Construction
    vor 10 Jahren
    How do you think these would perform in the north Atlanta suburbs?
  • PRO
    vor 10 Jahren
    Your climate in Atlanta should not hinder using either type of panel. The real question is which are the right panels for you. The main advantage of thin film solar is that they work when there are shadows on the panels. Normally, with crystalline panels, any significant shadow like a tree branch significantly reduces the efficiency. I would say basically stops them from working.

The way that crystalline panels have been designed to limit the issues with shadows is by using 'micro inverters'. Basically, instead of a single inverter for the array that can be severely impacted by shadows, each panel has its own mini inverter. So if a particular panel has a shadow issue, only that panel is effected.

My preference would be to use crystalline panels because they produce more power per square foot of collector area, and have less degradation per year then thin film. I do like the aesthetics of thin film on a roof like is shown in the photo. But there are great examples of crystalline panels looking great on a metal standing seam roof, too.

Good luck with your project!
  • shopper13
    vor 10 Jahren
    Is there a temperature limit for the crystalline panels? Planning on building in Utah. I appreciate your information, thanks!
  • PRO
    vor 10 Jahren
    I don't know the exact implications of temperature, but I do know that they begin to lose some efficiency when they get 'very hot'. There have been attempts to marry solar thermal panels and solar photovoltaic panels together. The idea is to essentially cool the solar PV panels by running a series of solar thermal tubes behind the PV panels, thereby increasing their efficiency. I don't know if that makes any sense for your situation.

You should contact an experienced local solar installation firm in your area to see what their thoughts are on that.

Take care, Nate
  • shopper13
    vor 10 Jahren
    Thanks Nate for your info, but unfortunately in the area we plan to build, I have not found any experts.
  • PRO
    vor 10 Jahren
    Shopper13, if that is the case, then maybe look through some (online) issues of Home Power Magazine or Environmental Building News (EBN) These two magazines are, in my opinion, the best sources for serious technical questions and answers. EBN is a trade magazine with no ads, and therefore is somewhat expensive (I think $150 a year or something). Home Power is a standard magazine model, so it is more accessible. You can ask them detailed questions and they have some excellent people available for answering them.

Take care
  • shopper13
    vor 10 Jahren
    I do appreciate your effort in trying to help me:) I will look into these publications. Just found out Salt Lake city had their first zero energy home built in August last year, which is also good news. Thanks again,
    best regards, Iris
  • PRO
    vor 10 Jahren
    Good luck with your project. Net zero homes are becoming the new target to reach for. I would think the climate in SLC would be a good match for that.
  • PRO
    vor 9 Jahren
    Those panels are 'ribbon' PV's. They are flexible - you might have seen them on backpacks. They tend to have a bluish tint to them. They are also less expensive then crystalline PV panels. However, they also are less efficient, as mentioned above. They also come with an adhesive backing, are are sized to fit between standard standing seam metal roof seams.
Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.