Houzz Logo Print
dkosowan

Can I apply Oil based deck stain over current water based deck stain?

DAVIS KOSOWAN
vor 9 Jahren
We have water based stain on our deck.
Can we apply oil based stain over the worn water based stain without stripping the deck down??
Also in the future when our oil based stain is worn, can I light sand the oil based instead of stripping, to re-apply more stain?

Kommentare (5)

• hayleydaniels
    vor 9 Jahren
    Go to youtube and search for your question as most large companies put out how to videos answering all sorts of questions, and teaching you how to do things.

I don't know if we have oil or water based stain on our deck, but we sanded it lightly when we reapplied stain so it would be absorbed.
    DAVIS KOSOWAN hat hayleydaniels gedankt
  • PRO
    Rockin' Fine Finish
    vor 9 Jahren
    you Can not apply oil over waterborne you can strip it and apply oil base stain after that
    DAVIS KOSOWAN hat Rockin' Fine Finish gedankt
  • PRO
    A New Look
    vor 7 Jahren

If you apply stains over each other without stripping them, they will create a shiny varnished look and probably peel. Always pressure wash and strip your deck first.

Or wind up paying someone like me a lot more money than you would have before to strip off two coats of stain. Storm makes an inexpensive chemical to spray on and pressure wash off your deck stain.Home Depot also carries an excellent deck stripper.

DAVIS KOSOWAN hat A New Look gedankt
  • PRO
    DAVIS KOSOWAN
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 7 Jahren

We ended up sanding down the waterbased (not durable) & applying FLOOD brand oil based. I think we got 3 good years out of it, compared to 6 months with water based.

Probably next summer we will re- stain.

• PRO
    A New Look
    vor 7 Jahren

Try Sikkens next time. It's been very good to me and my customers the past decade.

DAVIS KOSOWAN hat A New Look gedankt
Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.