Houzz Logo Print
bryanlip

Do you think I should make my door knobs polished chrome?

Bryan Lip
vor 9 Jahren
zuletzt bearbeitet:vor 9 Jahren
They are kinda old and brassy at the moment now, I am guessing if I put them as polished chrome it'll look good. The plater said maybe it's not such a good idea and to make it more Matt - like Nickel look. I still like polished chrome more - can I get your thoughts? or should i just leave it as it is? I'm not a big fan of rustic, but without having to change everything I think the polished chrome will give the place some UMPHF!

Kommentare (28)

• Donald
    vor 9 Jahren
    Polished Crome will show smudges/handprints much more than nickel
    Bryan Lip hat Donald gedankt
  • Bryan Lip
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 9 Jahren
    That's really true... never thought of that!
  • boundsgreener
    vor 9 Jahren
    The doors are lovely and I agree with plater - whoever that is :) - matt would suit the door better - polished is a bit too bling.
    Bryan Lip hat boundsgreener gedankt
  • Bryan Lip
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    I live in Seattle, i found a few platers, some were very dear - ie $200-$300 per set. I found a plater near the Seatac area for around $125. I thought i'd give it a go with one see how they do it and then do the other 8 or so if it's good. Was more on a google search than on here unfort.
  • boundsgreener
    vor 9 Jahren
    Oh der, I think I've had a transatlantic translation problem...now I've learnt a new word. Thanks!
    Bryan Lip hat boundsgreener gedankt
  • Bryan Lip
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    hahaha
  • Donald
    vor 9 Jahren
    Will you also do the door hinges as well? I think either shiny or matte would look good, just have to decide if a smudge will bother you or not.
  • Christalyn
    vor 9 Jahren
    If you do change out the hardware, please keep it. One day someone might want to restore those wonderful doors and the original hardware will be a treasure.
  • Bryan Lip
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    I can live with the smudge, my old place also had polished chrome and it looked great. Maybe its more of a london thing but the nickel brushed doesn't seem as nice. I think it really adds a massive change without having to spend big on repolishing floors, touching up poor painting as it draws the eye to those and provides a better sense that it looks great. The hinges would make sense as well, but i'm not sure i want to put on that added cost and maybe i can just simply buy new ones if that's possible, but i think the hinges are what will draw the eye the most.
  • Bryan Lip
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    Christalyn - i think i'll just have those re-plated rather than change them out its just so hard to buy and fit and im not that handy so i think i'll just get it replated, it'll be simpler. And yes, the house is over a 100 years old, it's a craftsman house made of wood and is in the Pacific Northwest.
  • djpkdsems
    vor 9 Jahren
    One more thing...if you do decide to go new, there is a website directdoorhardware.com that specializes in door hardware reproductions.
    Bryan Lip hat djpkdsems gedankt
  • katearoni
    vor 9 Jahren
    I like them the way they are personally. Have you tried just cleaning and polishing them?
  • User
    vor 9 Jahren
    Brass is back in.
  • 247fbl
    vor 9 Jahren
    Don't do it! They're beautiful like that! Or if you really want to change them, maybe you could sell the brass ones as salvage and use the money to buy new ones rather than replaying these?
  • Aimie Panisara
    vor 9 Jahren
    If you want to Do the door Knobs Chrome, I recommend Painting
    The doors Black. But if you keep the door brown and Add Chrome
    I dont think it will look so god
  • Bryan Lip
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    OK - so i ended up finding some great hardware thanks to djpkdsems - i did some google searches and this is called a "New York" door handle - http://www.charlestonhardwareco.com/cgi-bin/agoracart55/agora.cgi?cart_id=13623636.8235&product=Reproduction&user4=New%20York - i ended up getting each handle for $40 from them. I also bought new hinges in polished chrome. Here's the end result - really pleased and did it myself!
  • Bryan Lip
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    And one more...
  • Bryan Lip
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    Anyone interested in the old hardware? I have handles for 10 doors (per original picture) and 20x 3.5" 3 screw zig zag hinges.
  • djpkdsems
    vor 9 Jahren
    Bryan
    Your doors look awesome! Be careful though.....changing door hardware is a gateway project to more DIY projects! Great job!
    Bryan Lip hat djpkdsems gedankt
  • Bryan Lip
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    Haha!! Yes, i'm thinking about changing some ceiling lights now... and.. and...
  • PRO
    On The Tiles (hillingdon) ltd
    vor 8 Jahren

Now you must insist that everyone wears cotton gloves to open your doors so they stay nice and shiny :-)

They do look great though well done.

Terry

www.onthetiles.biz

• PRO
    Staged for Perfection
    vor 8 Jahren
    Sorrry but I think you should hang onto the old plates. Looks like they were brass. If you hate the old look you should move to a newer house and not destroy the old character
  • User
    vor 8 Jahren

Brass is back in fashion. Keep them.

• Bryan Lip
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren
    More door
  • Bryan Lip
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 7 Jahren

Hi all - wanted to follow-up and let you know I ended up selling the property, here are the staged photos.

Seattle - Staged Amateur · Mehr Info

Seattle - Staged Canon · Mehr Info

• PRO
    Amelia Wilson
    vor 7 Jahren
    Hi Bryan, I would seriously consider keeping them. The doors are too old for something new and shiny. I'd just clean them up and appreciate the patina
  • PRO
    CMD Ceramics
    vor 7 Jahren

I'm glad you kept them, hopefully the new owner will keep them too. People are too quick to remove things that add character to property just so they can follow the trend of shiny chrome everywhere. Guess im old fashioned lol

http://www.cmdceramics.com

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.