Houzz Logo Print
bobandamergill

support for island breakfast table

bobandamergill
vor 9 Jahren
Trying to figure out the best way to support this island table. Top will be granite running 132 inches long and 3 feet in width. don't want my slab cracking etc. support made by millwork company is as shown

Kommentare (12)

• Brandi Nash Hicks
    vor 9 Jahren
    It looks like it might already be sagging in the middle,you may have to shorten the length of the cabinet space and let the countertop overhang
  • decorgirly
    vor 9 Jahren
    I agree with brandi. It might be a good idea to move a cabinet over a few feet and put a stool or something there
  • nansdrew
    vor 9 Jahren
    A steel I-beam can be placed under the expanse and anchored to the two ends. It will never sag, but the supports at both ends have to be strong enough to support the beam + granite. Not sure how much that would cost though.
  • PRO
    Dan's Home Improvement Service, LLC
    vor 9 Jahren
    I'm not sure you would need steel if the cost is a concern. All you are trying to do is prevent deflection. I would think that you could make a wood beam that could do the job. Laminated beams hold up roofs and floors all the time. Plus you could have them rest on a vertical support on each end that would be covered to match cabinet.
  • bobandamergill
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    How thick do you think the beam should be. my lumber supplier can get one 1 and 3/4" by 9" running whatever length I need
  • bobandamergill
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    whoever posted that example picture can you repost it please. want to show my installer
  • PRO
  • PRO
    PPF.
    vor 9 Jahren
    You need to be concerned about torsional load as well. Think of someone, or someones sitting on the edge. That edge will want to go down while the opposite side will try to go up.

Your granite supplier should be able to give you guidelines on support.

A box, or even a triangle will be much stronger than a single vertical member.

Consider a torsion box in combination with a central spine.
  • bobandamergill
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    Looks like we will be going two 2 by 10s (wrapped in cabinet material) supported on the cabinet end and supports built around the 2 by 10s. thanks for the help! can't wait for the finished product
  • km kane
    vor 9 Jahren
    Yeah, that looks awfully long. Beam sounds best, brackets at least.
  • User
    vor 9 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 9 Jahren
    The island needs a different design entirely. Even with steel, it's still going to be awkward in appearance and function. There really isn't room for seating on both sides with the aisle width you've got and 3' is proportionately too narrow for the length.
Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.