Houzz Logo Print
laura1808

Help with my dull lounge!

laura1808
vor 9 Jahren
Hi all, I really need some help and suggestions for ideas to complete my lounge. We decorated a couple of months ago but are now stuck with what to do with the walls. I can't seem to find a wallpaper or a wall canvas that I think would look good but I am so bad at putting things together and try to match up too much. I struggle to mix colours and patterns so any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Laura

Kommentare (37)

• jaynorthcott
    vor 9 Jahren
    It's only something little, but I think if you gold leafed the edge of the mirror and teamed it with a luxe intricate ceiling light, it could really give it the wow factor:-)
  • alant1000
    vor 9 Jahren
    I would say the room is crying out for a rug under the table. The dark brown stool looks quite overpowering and a light or white one would look good. Finally for a feature wall pick out a light blue perhaps.
  • Alena Raschke7
    vor 9 Jahren
    I would just paint the walls with rich grey or dark purple hang few pictures up with black frames..altough leave some white lines around the windows..throw some pillows of the same color, few candles..would make the place more cosy and luxurious as well..
    maybe.
  • PRO
    Direct Trade Supplies
    vor 9 Jahren
    This seems like a lovely calming room. Installing some wall lights either side and just above the fireplace could help to create a nice ambience.
  • jam55king
    vor 9 Jahren
    All that room needs is different lighting nice lamp or up lighters also put corner shelves with draping ivy more plants around definitely Also needs a fire insert I'd go for real, little bit of cleaning but you just can't beat them to warm a room up also add Colour and texture with cushions I'd get a nice pattern or texture that stands out because the room is a tad dull
  • laura1808
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    Thank you all for the great suggestions. I am going to look at getting some better lighting as the room is quite dark. We are now wondering whether to have wooden floor and then have a large rug (still neutral) in front of the fireplace. Would love to have an open fire but with it being a fairly new build we wouldn't be able too. The fireplace we have is actually electric but the room just needed a focal point. I am still wondering whether to get a nice feature wallpaper across the back wall. As the sofas are duck egg blue I am struggling with what shade. I'm thinking striped with neutral tones and maybe the blue in with it. need to get lots of samples I think.

Thanks again to all.
  • Richard Rumbelow
    vor 9 Jahren
    How about creating a faux chimney breast to add architectural interest. I would then paint or wallpaper it in a light grey to complement to the other furniture but stop the walls looking bland. This would also give you natural alcoves in which to put up paintings or photographs. If you want to take it a step further you could always look at installing a wood burning stove. No idea what layout you have so this is just a suggestion.
  • embzop
    vor 9 Jahren
    The electric wire for the fireplace is a bit too obvious at the moment because it is black against pale walls. You could hide that using self adhesive trunking that most DIY shops stock.
    How about floating shelves either side of the fireplace? You could pick up the colours used in the room by having a collection of vases and ornaments in blue. Cobalt coloured accessories would look great.

Some ideas:
    [houzz=
    Kensington, Period Apartment · Mehr Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Traditional Living Room · Mehr Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Rental Flat, Battersea · Mehr Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    www.myplumdesign.com · Mehr Info
    ]
  • Sobia Afzal
    vor 9 Jahren
    use floweral wall paper on one front wall and change the place of mirror
  • User
    vor 9 Jahren
    The answer really depends on how you want people to feel when they enter and what you instinctively like. With the basics you have, you could do any colour scheme you like, or change seasonally. Currently, you have both plaid (ottoman, cushions) and floral (roman blinds), but as they are neutral, they look good together.

You may want to change things seasonally. For example: spring could be pastels; for summer, jewel tones; in autumn, oranges, browns, reds; for winter, neutral tones with lots of cozy fleece throws, perhaps tartan. Or pick by the mood you wish to create: warm colours for a cosy feel; neutral tones of greige, taupe, browns for a more formal feel; pastels, florals, and lots of cushions for a comfy lived in feeling; brights for a cheerful, lively atmosphere. The roman blinds are a nice neutral pattern and colour, but you could dress them up with drapes, once your colour scheme is chosen.

Also, the suggestions about the shelves either side of the fire are spot on, as you can use these for favourite pieces. These can help you focus on the atmosphere you want to create with your other accessories. Are above the mantelpiece is a good focus item and will draw the eye into the room. If you do that, you could use the large mirror on the wall opposite the fire, with a narrow entry table or perhaps a radiator cover (even if there is no rad there, they still make nice narrow tables) underneath, given another display surface without intruding into the room. (I'm assuming the doors are either end of that wall.) With the art on one side and the mirror on the other, the room will seem larger, as well.

The hardest thing for most people is what colour scheme to select, especially if you are not confident about your choices. So, try something that isn't expensive to discover what makes you happy. Throws and cushions can be a very good way to decide what you like without expending loads of money. Go to a good housewares shop (either in person or online) and put together a wish list of the cushions, throws, curtains, bedding items to which you are drawn. After a week or so, review your wish lists. Then purchase a few items, perhaps a couple of cushions and a throw that you especially like, then live with these for a month or so. Do you feel happy whenever you go into the room? If not, then use these items elsewhere in the house, or swap with friends for a different scheme. Keep going until you find the colours and/or patterns that make you feel at home. Once you know what you want, then you can build on this decision with additional items.

Leave the lighting fixture for last, as these can be quite expensive and are not necessarily easy to change out. I have uplighters on mine, which make it quite simple to change shape and colour (right now, mine are brown swede, which looks stunning with autumn colour schemes). You can also change light switch plates, door furniture (knobs, handles), and other minor accessories to complement your chosen scheme: chrome or brass, white or matching the wallpaper, there are lots of choices. (Kitchen remodel ideabooks are a great place to see what a different these small pieces can make!)

Carpet is another place to delay changes. If you have a neutral carpet and want a change, try a rug. I had cream carpeting in the lounge, very bland, but didn't want to replace it as it was quite new. Instead, we went for a deep vermillion area rug for the middle of the room and it makes quite a difference, warming the room considerably. Perhaps in spring, I may want to change it out for something a bit sunnier, such as a soft green or yellow. I don't know yet, but having a rug gives me that flexibility. (Yes, I know some people think rugs on carpets is a HUGE faux pas, but I like them and that's what counts!)

In the end, only you can know what is going to make your house feel like a home for you and your family. Take it in small steps, trialing or borrowing pieces until you know what you want. Good luck, and be confident in your own opinion, it will be fabulous!
  • Katy Richard
    vor 9 Jahren
    It's lovely, but needs some pops of color. A beautiful painting above the fireplace, a colorful rug, some gorgeous pillows, a lampshade...all good possibilities.
  • Katy Richard
    vor 9 Jahren
    You already have an abundance of neutrals. Think bold for an cent wall, painting or accessories!
  • laura1808
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    These are the wallpaper samples I have. I know they are still neutral but I think the picture i first uploaded of my lounge doesn't show how blue my sofas are. We have decided to go with a wallpaper on the large wall behind the fireplace, cover the wires as someone suggested, change the flooring to a wood flooring and get the existing carpet cut down and edged into a rug as the carpet isn't in bad condition and only 3 years old. For some reason I'm struggling with the shelfs either side of the fireplace as there's no alcove so in my head it looks strange. What type of shelving would you suggest? I have been looking since December for some wall art but have yet to come across the piece that I love so any suggestions of anywhere I may find some nice wall art would be much appreciated. Thanks all for your comments, every suggestion made had been really useful and good.
  • embzop
    vor 9 Jahren
    With the shelves - I'd probably go with 3 either side of the fireplace for a neat, symmetrical look. The type of shelf would depend on what I was going to put on them. I like coloured glass vases & ornaments and these look great on glass shelves. Or you could go with floating shelves if you like something more substantial. I would try and get ones that are not very deep so they don't come out from the wall so far that they dominate.
    An alternative would be to use photo shelves that are very narrow.
    http://homebase.scene7.com/is/image/homebase/570856_R_Z001?$TMB$&wid=420&hei=420
    [houzz=
    A colourful London home · Mehr Info

[houzz=
    Contemporary Living Room · Mehr Info
  • PRO
    Green Form Design Architects
    vor 9 Jahren
    The key thing you need here is a little injection of colour. Whether that be muted tones, or a bold statement. Start with a few small bits: cushions and accessories. This is a cheaper way of trying out any ideas you may have if you're not sure.
  • Charlotte Backhouse
    vor 9 Jahren
    Paint the fireplace wall a nice grey, put the mirror a bit higher on the wall, tall candles each side of the fire place shelf, and 2 on wall lamps either side of where the Mirror will be, needs some mood lighting in there,
  • Tani H-S
    vor 9 Jahren
    Just saw you mention earlier about wanting an open fire - we have been looking into log burners etc for ourselves and they do flueless ones now. Not sure how they work but you don't need a vent or a chimney! Might be worth looking into before you finish decorating or putting a new floor down

Oh also they do Smokeless ones if you are in a controlled area
  • User
    vor 9 Jahren
    What a pretty room, you are almost there. For me the walls need warming up instead of being White. I would suggest a wallpaper on the chimney breast http://tidd.ly/dcb654c0 then complimenting colour on the rest of the walls in a neutral colour http://tidd.ly/72f036e9
    I like your mirror but I would turn it around the other way and hang over the fireplace. Also add some soft lighting with a floor lamp http://tidd.ly/800ef212 and ceiling light http://tidd.ly/f1058840 and two candles on the fireplace http://tidd.ly/1eb7ede5
    Karen
    www.cherryblossominteriors.co.uk/blog
  • renmack
    vor 9 Jahren
    Do you want a gentle change or something that really pops? I think browns would compliment your duck egg sofas/plaid ottoman and really warm up the room. I'd paint a sand color on the fireplace wall and add a brown area rug and cushions, and probably a serving tray and throw for the ottoman.

Have you visited your local art/craft shows? Or seen redbubble dot com? They do prints, etc of paintings and photos. You can either have something made from your own work or browse the many thousands of pieces up for sale.
  • Tom Flanagan
    vor 9 Jahren
    I'm in favour of all of the above - I think the key thing to think about is injecting the room with some bold accents. I vote canvas, cushions and a cool floor lamp. I've attached an image or two to help, and I"m not saying you need to go with this or this is an ideal, but to give you a sense of what something like yellow can do. You've got the grey/duck egg palette already, why not push for some yellow? (ignore the pink, the canvas is the focus!)
    St Ives, Cornwall · Mehr Info

Abigail Ahern interiors · Mehr Info
  • mhelensteele
    vor 9 Jahren
    What beautiful things you have, I love all your soft colours! It looks a lot like one of the houses featured on HOUZZ today which I think is just beautiful.
    (See https://www.houzz.co.uk/magazine/houzz-tour-a-small-cottage-in-chelsea-gets-a-clever-redesign-stsetivw-vs~31987676?utm_source=Houzz&utm_campaign=u703&utm_medium=email&utm_content=gallery4 )
  • Jill Gittins
    vor 9 Jahren
    I agree with the maxim (Nicky Haslam's?) that 'every room needs a little touch of red'. I think your room would definitely benefit from a tiny bit a raspberry.
  • PRO
    Bespoke Decorative Finishes
    vor 9 Jahren
    I'd like to see the walls painted a soft colour with some warm tones. It's hard to tell in a photograph how big the room is but just remember, a focal wall will bring the wall forward, so if the room is not very deep, you might not want to do that. Hang the mirror or better still a tall piece of artwork, on the wall and free up the prime real estate of your mantle. Tall candlesticks, bring the eye up and make the fireplace a statement. Hang the mirror somewhere else, preferably where it will reflect something nice (not a blank wall). Drapes, cushions, rugs and accessories will all depend on whether you want to continue the neutral theme or want some pops of colour. You have a great base there to build on.
  • Helen Jones
    vor 9 Jahren
    I love the room and I think the wallpaper samples you've chosen are great but my favourite is the one in the middle the slightly bluey stripy one. Good luck with it x
  • Trisha Goodwin
    vor 9 Jahren
    I would say you definately need an injection of colour. I had similar problems here when we first moved in. It was a one-house in a village but a new build, like your it had an electric fire and was slightly dark. I am a trained textiles designer, but felt overwhelmed by these interior design decisions! At first we tried to put more light in, by the use of white paint, but this didn't work, just made more shadows in the room and the walls actually looked dirty. I then repainted the walls a softer, grey taupe shade with duck egg accessories, which worked better, but like your room, all the neutrals looked bland rather than exciting in that particular lighting context, and to be honest, there was little of our personalities in it, so how could it look interesting?

There is loads of information out there about how to be stylish or contemporary, but very little of it is actually about the basic design rules of how to work with a room, i..e. if you paint a room white, it needs to be bright in the first place! Its essential to work out which way a room faces too, as north light is very different from even east and trees or sloping ground can effect the equation too. I found this information out the hard way, by seeking the advice of trained interior designers online. The received opinion was to work with what you have already in lightly darker rooms, in the sense of making them appear warmer and cosier rather than lighter.

This room faced east and overlooked the garden with french windows on the wall opposite fireplace and lots of greenery outside. I tried dark red swatches of paint and fabric, but again, not right in the light, it looked cloying rather than warm. Eventually I went for a warm deep olive yellowy green on the fireplace wall and made contemporary curtains which had the same olive colour background with duck egg blue and teal plus gold brown, in a big, lively, contemporary flower print (far from a conventional print). To this I added a large bright teal rug infront of the fireplace, cushions in olive green and cream fur fabric on the gold/brown sofas we already had. I already had a large gold mirror so that we up alongside a couple of paintings which were in storage but went with the greens and golds. The thing, I discovered was not to be too matchy/matchy, which looks contrived rather than heartfelt.

Fish out a few things that really have meaning, even if they don't "go" in the room, a few warm metallic bowls, a few wooden bowls or boxes - if they have warmth to them, so much the better. Let your own personality shine through, its your home and should reflect your interests and desires, as well as the actual proportions and orientation of the room. I made three pairs of curtains before I got it right, fortunately the other two went on ebay! The red fabric and paint I bought for the living room but didn't use - well it worked fine in the kitchen/dining room, which is also fairly dark, it faces north, so the lighting there worked better with the colour.
  • laura1808
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    just thought I would update you with what we have done so far - just need to get a few shelves for the back wall (not shown in pic) and possibly a nice house plant and some pics on the wall! thank you all for your help!! x
  • laura1808
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    just thought I would update you with what we have done so far - just need to get a few shelves for the back wall (not shown in pic) and possibly a nice house plant and some pics on the wall! thank you all for your help!! x
  • Helen Jones
    vor 9 Jahren
    Lovely :)
  • Kelly B
    vor 9 Jahren
    wow this is an amazing room and you have some brilliant key pieces. I would most definetely (if me) have a statement wallpaper on the main wall and paint in accent colour. have you looked al laura ashley? they have amazing room layouts and have some great inspiration also next do in their larger stores. love your couch and puff/table.
  • PRO
    Bespoke Decorative Finishes
    vor 9 Jahren
    Looking lovely, very calm, relaxed room. Is there a reason you have not hung the mirror on the wall above the fireplace. Personally, I would hang it which would draw the eye up and make the fireplace look taller and then the mantle would be a little less crowded.
  • Katy Richard
    vor 9 Jahren
    Looking good. I would definitely hang the mirror and a big, colorful painting to the left of the fireplace.
  • PRO
    MyOriental Ltd
    vor 8 Jahren

Very calm and relaxed room. One or two blue and white ginger jars or a horse figured ornament on the fireplace would instantly add a little design touch to it. Love the colour of your sofa!

• PRO
    itondoart
    vor 8 Jahren

Hi Laura, it's come together really well, congratulations!

Like many others here, I think the room needs art. Unless you're particularly attached to the mirror, I'd replace it with a painting or large photograph so that the fireplace then becomes the central feature of the room. Or, hang two similarly themed photographs either side of the fireplace. If you leave the mirror there, I would suggest hanging it as it will increase the feeling of space.

If you need help visualising what art might work on your wall, we've just released a free new iOS mobile app that lets you try art on your wall to scale before you buy. Should anything take your fancy, you can buy direct from the artist or gallery (and no, we don't get a sales commission from them, nor from you).

If nothing else, itondo might give you some ideas and it lets you experiment with different sizes, shapes, colour and styles for free!

You can download it here: itondo iOS app in the App Store

Good luck finding that last perfect piece to finish it off.

• PRO
    Pavilion Broadway
    vor 8 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 8 Jahren

Hi there,

We think you have created a lovely lounge, and you should be very proud of what you have done so far as it has been put together very tastefully.

The only thing we think you are missing to complete the look and add character are those all important Accessories! Often forgotten and always missed when they are.

Looking at your Blue and Neutral colour scheme we would recommend introducing a contemporary cream rug by Eichholtz, select the dimension that will be big enough for the front feet of the sofa to ideally fit onto the rug!

https://www.pavilionbroadway.co.uk/eichholtz-wilton-rug.html

We would also recommend adding a touch of colour by painting your fireplace wall in Parma Grey by Farrow & Ball.

Then.... what the room would really benefit with is a pair of paintings or limited edition prints. I have included a pair that we have available of Orchids to show you the idea in the quick collage that we have created for you.

https://www.pavilionbroadway.co.uk/home-accessories/art-and-antiques/prints/kelly-cutter-orchid-print.html

We hope this helps and if you would like to find out about some of these ideas or products please do give us a call and one of our designers would be happy to assist you!

01386 711512.

Best of Luck! PB

• PRO
    Pavilion Broadway
    vor 8 Jahren

Hi Laura,

we see that you have in fact already painted your feature wall duck egg blue! It look fantastic!

And that you have a cream rug, so all we would suggest is a pair of frame sprints of paintings for your wall.

Well done so far!

PB

• Natalie Patton
    vor 8 Jahren
    I would add a striped duck egg paper on the walk behind the fire and add a rug some statement lighting and put the mirror on the wall.
Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.