Houzz Logo Print
tashia153

Need Help With Crown Molding around Vent

tashia153
vor 11 Jahren
I am in the process of remodeling our bedroom and need some ideas. I plan to install crown molding, but need to work around this vent high on the wall. I am not sure how to do this as I want to keep the continuity of the molding. Would you cut out the molding around the vent???

Thanks for the help!

Tashia

Kommentare (12)

• charleee
    vor 11 Jahren
    Yes. That's exactly what has happened in our living room, the installer just cut exactly what he needed to out of the crown, and the vent cover is flush with it.
  • charleee
    vor 11 Jahren
    Oh! And the vent cover was painted to match the crown to appear seamless.
  • S. Thomas Kutch
    vor 11 Jahren
    It depends on the height of your crown molding. If the crown molding just barely laps over the vent grill, I would try and route out the backside of the molding so that it would fit flush with the wall surface and the vent. This would mean you would have to install the vent grill first. I would then paint the grill to match the wall so it wouldn't be as noticeable.

If the crown molding laps over the vent substantially (in other words it would interfere with the air flow clear area of the grill), then you have two options. 1. Notch the molding, or, 2. lower the vent opening.

Lowering the vent opening is more work, but in my opinion the finished results would be the most preferable.

This just seems to be one of those situations that the trades weren't communicating or the finish details weren't thoroughly disseminated to all who needed to know.
  • PRO
    COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
    vor 11 Jahren
    - If that's a 6" x 12" outlet , you could change the grill to a 4" x 12" and blank off the rest of the opening with a piece of sheet metal, thus allowing you to run your crown moulding across without having to cut it. If it's a 6" x 14", you aren't as lucky, because I don't think a 4" x 14" is a standard size.

The higher velocity though the smaller grill might be a little noisier, but it wouldn't make much difference in the air volume.
  • tashia153
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 11 Jahren
    Thanks everyone for your comments. I plan to try the smaller vent size (4") and blank the top of the vent with sheet metal. Will paint the vent to match the wall. This should allow me plenty of room for the crown molding. I will post a picture of the finished product.
  • PRO
    Fairpoint Construction & Development
    vor 11 Jahren
    Just cout around the vent or you can terminate and return the crown on both sides of the vent.
  • PRO
    COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
    vor 11 Jahren
    Good call, Mr. Kutch.

I would simply add that a good HVAC contractor is difficult to find in our neighborhood. Most around here don't really bother with load calculations or air balancing for individual spaces. But there are some pretty smart folks out there that will be able to make sure you don't do anything seriously harmful.

Having said all that, any HVAC guy worth his salt is probably going to tell you not to change to a smaller register. As Mr. Kutch states, maybe it's fine, maybe it isn't. What you need is a little more information to make an informed decision.
  • lefty47
    vor 11 Jahren
    HI -- Is your crown molding wider than the space above the vent ? If it is only by a smidge( an inch or less) then put the crown up and then put the air vent on snuge to the molding , that small amount is not going to interfear with the air flow. Or see if the air vent opening can be lowered a bit , might be expensive to get the installer back ?The HVAC installer should have been told the size of the molding so he could have put the vent in the right spot. I don't like the way it looks but just size the crown to fit around the vent . What ever you work out just remember to paint the vent the color of the wall if the vent is on it's own and or paint the vent the color of the crown if you frame or mold around it. I think you should try to get the HVAC installer back to fix the opening because it looks crooked anyway .
  • tashia153
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 11 Jahren
    Wow, lots to think about. We've lived in this starter home for 28 years now. For two newly weds at the time, we were lucky (because we totally did not have a clue about buying a house) that we really have not had any problems with our home outside of normal wear and tear. I am rethinking the size of the molding because moving the vent would just be more than I am capable of and probably too expensive to consider. I promise to let you know what I decide and how it turns out. And thank you so much for all your help. It is greatly appreciated.
  • gradeoliveira
    vor 11 Jahren
    You may consider take the pop corn ceiling out that would look much better with the crownmoulding, even a smaller one!
  • charleee
    vor 11 Jahren
    If you decide to remove the popcorn ceiling, please have it checked for asbestos first.
Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.