Houzz Logo Print
lynn237

Viscose rug ,how bad is it?

Lyban zone 4
vor 11 Jahren

I saw a rug that I really liked at homesense (Canada's version of home goods)
I love the colors and the size 8 by 10 is good, but it is 100 percent viscose.
On the web I am reading reviews on viscose rugs that are not so good.
Has anyone here had any experience with them.

Kommentare (22)

• decordummy_gw
    vor 11 Jahren

Some things to consider;
    What is the budget? (some people can afford wool, others can afford viscose)
    Where will it be used? (low-traffic area or high-traffic area)
    How often do I redecorate (must it last 5 years or 20)

Here is a link that might be useful: previous viscose thread

• Lyban zone 4
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 11 Jahren

Decordummy and Camlan.

You ask what is the budget, this is the confusing part.
    At this Homesense they have 8 by 10 New zealand wool rugs for 299.00
    Then some hand tufted rugs for 299.00
    then this viscose rug for 399.99

Now I am not sure why,it is much thinner than the wool rugs but that part is fine by me. I just want it to last and look good for at least 5-7 years.

I happened to like the colors on this viscose rug but I can certainly wait since they get new things in every day and wait for a wool one that I like.

Would you wait?

• Boopadaboo
    vor 11 Jahren

I would wait. I had one. I would never buy one again. It got a small stain that was hard to get out and drove me nuts. It was in a low traffic area. I have never had that problem with wool.

• always1stepbehind
    vor 11 Jahren

I have a viscose runnner that has lasted me FOREVER and I love it. It's gone from my old house to current condo that I have been in for 10 years...I've washed it (not sure if you are supposed to our not, but I have). When I was ready to pitch it, I washed it again and now use it in the kitchen.

It is a flat carpet, sorta shiney but the runner I have has served me well. If I were buying a larger area rug, I would consider viscose, but that is me.

I guess I should mention that my rug is a dark color though. If it has stains it's hidden. Brownish-gold colored rug.

• decordummy_gw
    vor 11 Jahren

I bought mine at HomeSense. The tag says "Champagne Collection, 100% Viscose, approximately 8x10". I just measured and it is closer to 8x11. It is 7 feet & 10 inches by 11 feet and 2 inches. I have had mine for at least two years. As a family we use the room mostly on weekends to read or sit and chat (although DH & the cat play on that rug daily).

I guess budget means what we can afford now, versus what we could afford if we waited/saved more, versus what we know we could never afford. For example, I cannot afford to spend thousands of dollars on an antique persian rug (doesn't matter how long I wait). Of course people who can, would never even consider a viscose rug (and they would expect their rug to last MUCH longer).

• Lyban zone 4
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 11 Jahren

Decor dummy,
    Thank you for honest opinion.
    I do know what you mean , some rugs on these forums are beautiful but when needing a 8 by 10 or even larger the prices are too high for my budget.

• decordummy_gw
    vor 11 Jahren

Yes Lyban that's exactly what I meant.

I had several gift cards for HomeSense that covered half the cost (I only had to pay $200 versus $400). To be honest I never even thought about wool versus viscose (or anything else). I wanted something traditional-looking (I can't afford an antique persian, that doesn't mean I don't want one LOL). It was the right size, right colour, right price - sold & done.

From my experience so far;
    - I would measure it yourself, (don't trust the size tag),
    - get a vaccum without a beater bar.
    The HomeSense here was great about taking down a few of my picks and laying them out on the floor. Good luck - let us know what you decide (wouldn't it be a hoot if we bought the same rug).

• Lyban zone 4
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 11 Jahren

decordummy,

Here is a photo of the one I looked at. Not the best photo in the store with cell phone.

• ellendi
    vor 11 Jahren

399.00 would not be the end of the world for me. But you have to decide money wise. I can see why you really like this rug. For me, I still don't have a living room rug (had to remove after my Golden passed away) because I never seem to find what I like.
    IMHO I would take a chance on this rug because the colors probably really work and you will enjoy seeing it in your home.
    I would listen to the advise though and if it is high traffic maybe take a pass.

• Boopadaboo
    vor 11 Jahren

I have had good luck with getting wool rugs on ebay and at local auction houses. not for everyone I know!

• decordummy_gw
    vor 11 Jahren

I can see why you like it, I like it too (I'll try to post a pic of mine later).

• always1stepbehind
    vor 11 Jahren

Take it home and try it out. You can always return it. Especially if you like the colors and the pattern, I think you will be happy with it.

• Lyban zone 4
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 11 Jahren

Thanks everyone. I bought it and like it. If it does not ware well down the road then I am only out 400.00 and I am sure I will get at least 4 years out of it.

• decordummy_gw
    vor 8 Jahren

Update - don't try to wash it. DH used the Bissell Green Machine down one edge of it. Not a good idea. We are going to rotate the rug so that edge will be under the sofa.

• Christy Abney
    vor 5 Jahren

Thanks for the update decordummy. Its It's always nice to see a follow up from a later date. VERY helpful.

• PRO
    Christiansen's Service
    vor 4 Jahren

We do fabric protection service and find that these types of rugs stain much more readily with stains being much more difficult to remove. Some of these rugs can run in the price tag of up to 10,000

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    vor 3 Jahren

I have a large Viscose rug. Beautiful until you need to clean it. Impossible. Don’t even try. No water or liquid on it at all. Very expensive in the size I got. It was new material so no “reviews” were available. I have it in our dining room now and will probably use in bedroom on next move. Never again. Hope you aren’t using in any frequently used room. 🙃

• PRO
    Christiansen's Service
    vor 3 Jahren

We find that some of the viscose rugs are relatively durable. There are different grades of viscose. Especially if mixed with wool you would have less issues.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    vor 3 Jahren

I agree if Viscose is just a smaller percentage (usually for accents) of wool rugs that can work. There have been industry changes since I bought mine, so perhaps the qualities have improved. I'm just not a fan. Of course, I'm not looking for real highend products at this time either. Most people want low cost and don't care too much about longevity.

• Matthew Coburn
    vor 2 Jahren

Do not hut absolu absolute trash waste of money. spill one drink and it can not be cleaned. Was a huge money sink.

• PRO
    Christiansen's Service
    vor 2 Jahren

Not necessarily. In many cases yes. I have successfully cleaned 10 percent viscose with perfect results.

Gesponsert

Laden Sie die Seite neu, um diese Anzeige nicht mehr zu sehen

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.