Houzz Logo Print
tsure

Need curb appeal

tsure
vor 8 Jahren
Hi all, I am looking for advice on how to make the front of my house look better. It is a quirky 1870's bungalow, and we never never use this front door- we have a great side porch entrance. Last year we added the cedars across the front and I am finishing up the short iron fence on the other side of the front walk tonight. The house is quite close to the sidewalk- I'm trying to create some separation. Thanks in advance

Kommentare (12)

• ocotillaks
    vor 8 Jahren

I would remove the evergreens and put in a period perennial garden.

• PRO
    Steven Richards and Associates, Inc.
    vor 8 Jahren
    Loose the storm door... Since you don't use this entrance. Maybe replace the lights. Something slightly bigger with candles. 2 large pots on either side of the door with flowering annuals, like pink geraniums would be great!
  • miacometlady
    vor 8 Jahren
    Is the surround around door vinyl? Not sure it look original. If it is vinyl, what is under it? I don't mind shrubs, but would add tall black planters and add flowers.
  • chloebud
    vor 8 Jahren

Definitely black urns/planters flanking the door and agree geraniums would be nice...look at ivy geraniums. Also agree on updating exterior lights and house numbers. Would probably remove trees blocking windows.

• brickln
    vor 8 Jahren

It definitely requires symmetry. Perhaps the evergreens could be used along the sidewalk

and a wrought iron gate (locked) across the walkway? It looks like you have the original door- let it shine!

• kpappal
    vor 8 Jahren
    I'd paint the white area around the front door (metal?) the same color as the brick. Just leave the frame of the door white. As others have mentioned, scrub down the soffit, add a nice door mat, and flowers in large black urns or pots beside the door.
  • sharon1ha
    vor 8 Jahren
    Since replacing the concrete may be to costly (where it is cracked), you should at least get rid of the weeds in the crack. Another thing is to either get rid of the old door mat, since you don't use the door or replace the mat with a nice new one. I agree with replacing the two lights with something a little larger and get new house numbers. I love the idea of putting two flower containers on either side of the door. If you get rid of the screen door, don't forget to maybe replace the door handle as well, since you would be able to see it if the screen door is removed. I think these few things would make a huge difference. If replacing these items are to costly, you may consider removing the items mentioned and spray painting with a metal spray, would make a huge difference. Good luck.
  • sharon1ha
    vor 8 Jahren
    P.S. Your house is adorable.
  • tsure
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren
    Thanks everyone, those are good suggestions
  • tsure
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren
    And about taking off the outer door- We live in Canada and the storm door is pretty much a necessity... The cold winter is loooonng ❄️ Am open to suggestions about replacing it with something though
  • Judy Mishkin
    vor 8 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 8 Jahren

replace it with one that has as much glass as possible and not with the self storing screen. ours is full glass and the glass comes out and the screen goes in, so its an even look, without the divider and glass and screen at once.

and then paint it to match the door.

your step would look better with a larger mat, that went all the way to the edges of your door step.

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.