Houzz Logo Print
jillp49

Garden project

jillp49
vor 8 Jahren
I am buying a small terraced house and looking for inspiration about it all hence all my questions.
This is about the garden which is not a bad size, south facing and terraced. There are no plants in it at the moment. The space outside the back doors is decked but I don't know what condition it's in. I would like to think about replacing the shed with a summerhouse but I need the storage so am not sure that's an option. I love my garden and use it lots but need it to be relatively low maintenance. Any thoughts, inspiration or ideas for plants etc would be great.

Kommentare (9)

• minnie101
    vor 8 Jahren

This has the potential for a fantastic garden. They sell summerhouses combined with shed storage. I've just saved the first one I saw from elbec garden buildings. I'd go for one that covers the entire width of the garden and either put down decking or a patio on that whole top area but with beds for planting. I'd also have a bed where that area meets the wall and plant trailing plants to soften it. I'd have sofa/chairs on the top patio and use the decking for dining. I'm useless on plants but would think about painting both the fence and render, grey and black work well as a contrast to green. It would break up the garden but you may also want some kind of stepping stones on the lawn so as to reach the summerhouse. You could add a snaked/"S" shaped path or series of stepping stones to break it up though. The decking looks fine in the pic, maybe a clean and stain. Also add some potted plants to make it feel part of the garden

• jillp49
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren
    Thanks very much. I love the summerhouse/shed. What a brilliant idea. There is a gate in the back fence so I may not be able to take any build right across but I could certainly go across most of it and do the stone steps/path around to the rear. I would not have thought about painting the render black or grey but will get a small pot and give it a try to see how it would look.
  • jillp49
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren
    Many thanks RGC for such comprehensive thoughts. I wouldn't want to spend lots only to find that the walls are crumbling etc. I like your idea of a bespoke summerhouse - I didn't realise it was a possibility. Again, thanks.
  • minnie101
    vor 8 Jahren

Hi. Having seen RGC's comment I can see my reply didn't submit earlier! I would try black on the fence ( have a look on here for others whom have done the same) and grey on the render, some thing like farrow and ball charleston grey which isn't too dark or go grey all over ( paint colours on exteriors will look lighter than interiors when you do testers). If you put a patio or decking in at the top, I'd get the builder to sort the rendering on the steps at the same time. I didn't spot all of the damp issues that RGC have pointed out! I also suggested, and appreciate it a may be a no no but you mentioned low maintenance, artifical turf instead of the grass. There is some good quality stuff around now. If not, you will definitely need a flymo! I would probably also replace the mismatched fence panel unless you cover it will planting.

• jillp49
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren
    Thanks Minnie101. I thought I'd get some quotes from people who might be able to do it all and see what it comes to. Will def put pics up when it's finished.
  • PRO
    The Real Garden Company
    vor 8 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 8 Jahren

We'd be happy to help out jill if you are not too far away. Drop us a line from the contacts form on our website, if you're out of reach, say in Aus (we are working on a project in Jamaica)..... no no, just joking - we are working in Jamaica but usually on projects your size only in Norfolk UK. We'd be happy to offer advice if you'd like - on going on Houzz if we can't be of help on site.

• jillp49
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren
    Thanks v much. Will def complete the form and see what you can suggest, as you say even if it's helping out via Houzz would be great.
  • PRO
    Primrose
    vor 8 Jahren

For plants - you could have some beautiful Japanese Maples, Herbs and Vegetables, Exotic Palms, some complimentary Hedging, Fruit Trees, Exotic Bamboo, Roses, Ornamental Trees or even Bay Trees!

Or possibly awnings, garden furniture, water features and heaters for some quality outdoor living :)

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.