Houzz Logo Print
clare_preskett

What can I do with my front garden that won't cost the earth?

Clare P
vor 8 Jahren
Hi everyone.

Help please!
I moved into my house a year ago and have put a huge amount of time, effort and money into renovations. Unfortunately the front garden has lost out and I need some ideas to liven it up.

Originally there were flower beds all along the lawn but they were too much work so I filled them with slate. Which I am now not so sure about. But I don't know what else to do. It doesn't do the house any favours but whatever I do needs to be cheap and easy so that I can do it myself and not too much upkeep as keeping the back garden nice is my priority.

Any suggestions gratefully received!
Thank you.

Kommentare (17)

• Clare P
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren
    I forgot to add that I share the lawn with my neighbours (who rent) which also limits options. Thanks!
  • Kerry Donnelly
    vor 8 Jahren
    Hey Claire, DIY stores sell decorative curbing that you can use between the grass and slate so it separates both from each other, also the slate Chipping's you have used compact pretty well so have you thought about continuing them across the slabs so you only have both materials? I would add some movable planters under the window and on the wall that has the drainpipe to add some colour to break it up
  • PRO
    Art Decor Designs
    vor 8 Jahren

Hi Clare
    I did have other suggestions but as you share the lawn with your neighbours, you can't change that unless you all agree a plan, what about as a softener to the hard lines of the slate
    planting along in amongst the slate some shrubs which won't need special attention like flowers would. The slate as it is looks too hard and needs softening.
    I would put in some cordylines and maybe small palms particularly on the left side of the front door.
    OR I would take the slate chips out from the left hand side of the door and replace with grass turfs and then keep the slate to the right of the door and put the shrubs in on that side
    and if that wall goes right along I would plant a couple of climbing shrubs to soften the wall as well.
    It all looks a bit harsh and needs some softening.
    Hope this helps

• Clare P
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren
    Thank you. I have been debating removing the slate and turfing but it was such hard work putting it down! I do think that will be the best option. I may have to find a handyman!
  • Andrew Millar
    vor 8 Jahren
    cool vespa !!
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    vor 8 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 8 Jahren

`Hello Clare,

What about some slate square planters.. Some lovely olive trees or even fill it right up with compost and plant a rosemary from the supermarket even.. They grow beautifully and look amazing large... about a £ from the supermarket and that would offset what you paid for the planters.. Could look lovely with the slate design, which you should keep.. Nice simple and architectural.. Plus bees love it when it flowers and you will never run out when cooking..

You could have a row along that wall where the pipe is and a couple under the window.. situated at intervals along as you like along the garden. : ))

• Clare P
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren
    Ash I like that idea but there are already so many weeds that I don't think I could cope with it!
  • PRO
    My Country Garden Design Solutions
    vor 8 Jahren

How about keeping the gravel as it is - it keeps the weeds down after all and is low maintenance but planting something like lavender through it - nice smelling, will soften the edges and required very little looking after except for a cutdown once a year - can't tell exact scale but 7-10 3l lavender plants planted through could make a big difference pretty quickly and inexpensively

• Juliet Docherty
    vor 8 Jahren

Hi Clare I think the pointy corner are visually jarring and could be resolves if you softened them with 3 or 4 mound shaped feathery grasses. Put them where the path turns corners and it will make a big difference.

• Ruth Payot
    vor 8 Jahren
    recycle
  • PRO
    Green & Gorgeous
    vor 8 Jahren

Large leaf plants like Phormiums look fabulous in slate and are really easy to care for. Would give the garden another dimension of interest.

• Robert Champier-Clarke
    vor 8 Jahren

Good impact can be achieved with perennial plants such as grasses in pots !

• PRO
    Nandina Gardens Ltd
    vor 8 Jahren

How about 3-4 plant pots with various low maintenance shrubs in them? It breaks up the heights levels and raises the eyeline slightly as you walk past. Feel free to give me a ring for some plants suggestions, I may even have some spare planters down the yard.

• Clare P
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren
    I would love pots but my only attempt was quickly ruined by foxes who dug it up! I am thinking about paving some of it now to make the grass area a bit smaller. And maybe a small fence to separate from the neighbours. I'm about to have a new porch and front door so need to do something!
  • PRO
    Nandina Gardens Ltd
    vor 8 Jahren

you could always buy some nice decorative pebbles to top the pot out with around the base of the plant/ shrub.

Please let me know if you would like a free, no obligations quote on the lawn and fence work or if I can advise in any way.

• PRO
    easynets
    vor 8 Jahren

I would recommend removing the old slate border and planting flowers

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.