Houzz Logo Print
susanredmanryan

Need entree ideas for a Christmas in July dinner

Susan Redman
vor 8 Jahren
Hello I am going to a Xmas dinner soon for which I am responsible for an entree. Seafood has already been covered. Any ideas? Quick and easy is best.

Kommentare (12)

• wuff
    vor 8 Jahren
    When stuck I always you taste.com lots of good ideas just put in search area Christmas entrees or something similar
  • Susan Redman
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren

Thanks wuff. Will do!

• PRO
    Mid-Century Rehab
    vor 8 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 8 Jahren

Another great resource is Saveur.com

• PRO
    Mid-Century Rehab
    vor 8 Jahren

For everyday tips and deliciousness, we also love Chef Steps

• Susan Redman
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren

Love these ideas. What do people think of a soup?

• PRO
    Emily Hutchinson
    vor 8 Jahren

I just had a Christmas in July party and we made turkey-filled sausage rolls with homemade chutney – they were a hit! More here

• sootsprite
    vor 8 Jahren
    I have never tasted it, but watermelon soup might be fun to try.
    Susan Redman hat sootsprite gedankt
  • fianou
    vor 8 Jahren

mushroom tartlets.

I like the idea of a delicious winter soup. But the challenge will be transporting the soup and reheating and serving. If you have a nice big pot with a secure lid its a great idea. And you will need to bring a large soup tureen and small serving bowls too. Its delicious and wintery warming but make sure its not too filling as there will be more courses. Buy some assorted bread loaves with different colours and textures, baquettes, pasta dura, rye....

Parsnip and pear is a nice one I have had. A twist on the usual creamy and blended soup is to add grated veges into the stock rather than to puree it. A lovely flavourful herb and tomato soup could be nice. Pumpkin or other root vegies will bring that wintery feel especially if you use spices like nutmeg for seasoning. However, I think a more watery soup could work better as it won't fill everyone up, I will hazard a guess the main course will be roast with lots of root vegies on the side.

The trick to serving soup at a party is to top it with a beautiful garnish... for example chopped fresh herbs like parsley. A swirl of sour cream and a sprinkle of paprika, fried shavings of sweet potato look amazing piled onto a creamy soup as an alternative to croutons. You use a vegie peeler to make slivers of sweet potato and then fry them in oil till they curl and crisp.

Susan Redman hat fianou gedankt
  • Susan Redman
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren

Thanks flanou. Love the idea of parsnip and pear, but thinking the mushroom tartlets could be winners! Thanks

• Jenny Drew
    vor 8 Jahren

Mushroom starters are always a hit. Last Christmas in July, we had black truffle and wild mushroom arancini balls and I'll be scouring the web for the recipe this year!

Susan Redman hat Jenny Drew gedankt
  • fianou
    vor 8 Jahren

Yeah... a bit easier to transport than soup. Soup would work if it was at your house.

Have a lovely party!

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.