Houzz Logo Print
lorieroach

Dark stairs contrast floors.

Lori Roach
vor 8 Jahren
We just had natural tiger wood floors installed (love them). We took carpet off of stairs, which are oak. We are installing oil rubbed bronze balusters. My thought is to stain the treads dark to pull from the dark wood contrast in the tiger wood floors. Plus our furniture is dark wood. We want to leave the hand rails and newels as is. Would this work? Their is also a 90 degree turn at the top of the stairs. At the very top, it's carpet. But there's a bit of wood trim on the top I think we'd have to stain dark also. Opinions please!

Kommentare (14)

• Angel 18432
    vor 8 Jahren

just my thoughts. Leave them as is - they seem to blend with the new flooring (which is gorgeous btw). Maybe paint the risers a dark color instead.

If you want to stain them darker, that will involve a lot of sanding - which I would have done before new floor was in - not after.

• PRO
    NuStair
    vor 8 Jahren

I agree with Angel18432, the stairs looks great as is, but painting the risers a dark color would look really fabulous. The new flooring looks wonderful!

• PRO
    Nugent Design Build, LLC
    vor 8 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 8 Jahren

We love tigerwood flooring! Here's an example that uses similar materials. We completed this staircase in the Chesapeake Bay Remodel a few months back. In my opinion, your handrails will work very well as-is or you can stain them dark. I'd lean towards keeping them as-is for cost value.

Stairs and Great Room · Mehr Info

• Angel 18432
    vor 8 Jahren

a few pictures - one is a little funky

• PRO
    Du Interiors - Dulce Roberto
    vor 8 Jahren

The new floor looks beautiful! Painting the risers a dark color (like the dark in the tiger wood floors) would look really good.

By the way, I really like your wall color :-)

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    vor 8 Jahren

I think you have a very good match right now. A deeper stain on the treads would look very handsome as well. An American walnut stain should do it.

Either way this will look very good.

• PRO
    ULTIMATE HARDWOOD LTD
    vor 8 Jahren
    You could also consider a 'double' stain job. This is where the 'spring' grain is one color and the 'summer' grain is another color. This way you can totally match the Gonçalo alves. For example the spring grain could be a black while the summer grain could be a deep orange color. You do realize Gonçalo alves darkens a lot like a typical exotic. Nice floors btw.
  • PRO
    Allison Paladino Interior Design & Collections
    vor 8 Jahren

It looks great as is! But I am curious to see them stained darker. Love dramatic contrast!

• Lori Roach
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren
    So we have the treads finished... (Still need to pint the risers)... Now we are debating staining the had rail dark also instead of two tone.
  • Angel 18432
    vor 8 Jahren

They look lovely - good job.

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    vor 8 Jahren

Railing should be dark...like the treads. Leave the spindles.

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    vor 8 Jahren

Or the spindles can be painted white...it depends on what you are doing with the risers. A dark railing with white painted spindles always looks very handsome.

• Angel 18432
    vor 8 Jahren

Looks lovely.

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.