Houzz Logo Print
lorin_millerkeuhner

Screened porch too small for a fireplace?

We want to build a screened porch and also love the smell of a wood burning fireplace. Do you think if we built a screened in porch that measures 16'6'x9'6' it is too small for a stone fireplace?

Also we were thinking about using 3 season windows ...if we do that, should we pay to insulate the deck floor?

Thoughts?

Kommentare (9)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    vor 8 Jahren

Don't think you can place a stone fireplace on top of a deck.

My not consider some of the better quality electric fireplaces for this situation.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    vor 8 Jahren

I agree this is probably not possible in a screened in porch. If you want to use the space for 3 seasons you will need insulation for sure so now it is no longer a screened in porch not really sure what you want to do. Maybe the best solution is an electric fireplace in the proch and a big firepit outside with seating .

• PRO
    Revolutionary Gardens
    vor 8 Jahren

I'm not sure how it turned into a stone fireplace on a deck question; OP would just have a masonry fireplace built from the footer up, and the firebox is wherever it needs to be, vertically speaking. Framing comes around to meet the fireplace, depending on bearing members and the like. The challenge comes with the chimney height, especially if there's a higher floor on the house. How tall does it need to be to not conflict with upper windows?

The bigger issue is the space planning. OP, I think you'll find that the 9'-6" dimension is going to feel tight, and the space will maybe feel too elongated for a large focal point item like a fireplace. Think about how furniture is typically arranged to take advantage of a fireplace, then mark out that rectangle and do some mocking up. With dimensions like that you may look at having the fireplace at one end, which would mean you essentially have two smaller seating groupings when the fireplace is in use - one at the fireplace, one behind.

Talk to your contractor about the insulation angle. We generally don't insulate unconditioned spaces because a) we have to be a lot more cautious about trapped moisture, and b) people tend to walk into an insulated but unheated space on a cold day and struggle to find a reason to be there. They don't hang out as much as they think they will.

Lorin Miller Keuhner hat Revolutionary Gardens gedankt
  • Lorin Miller Keuhner
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren

Thank you - Yes, I live in a 2 story home an agree that I need to think about the chimney height. Good to know about the floor insulation as I wasn't planning on heating the room as that was the intention of the fireplace. I will avoid that.

Seems like all my neighbors are putting in screened porches (and the 3 season windows which are super cool )- but I have some zoning issues I need to contend with which limits the size of the space. That is why I was wondering if the space is too small to consider the stone fireplace. If I had known about these zoning rules before I purchased the house - I wouldn't be in it - oh well. Trying to make the most in a small space!

Objective for the space is TV, fireplace (if possible) and sofa/chair set. My neighbor is building theirs now so maybe I will wait until finished (who also has the same contraints as I do) and see if possible to put the fireplace in - as they opted not to (budget decision solely).

• Lorin Miller Keuhner
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren

David - you are in my area and just left a vm for you....would love to meet you and discuss options.

• PRO
    Davison's 4 Seasons Landscaping
    vor 8 Jahren

Dave gives great advice! We are in designing stages right now for a very similar project. Luckily we're dealing with larger measurements. The client has all the same concerns as OP, and that's our job to solve them. People in my area for-go the 3 seasons Idea and just turn it into a glorified 4 seasons room. Lots of windows, a heating source of some type, and cooling source.

The cost difference between the two is a little more, but if you're going to invest in a room, make it so you will spend more time in there.

Lorin Miller Keuhner hat Davison's 4 Seasons Landscaping gedankt
  • Lorin Miller Keuhner
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren

I am in Northern VA so if I just go with the screening versus the windows, I would probably use the room from late April-October. Maybe I stick to screens and then I could always add later.

• cyn perry
    vor 7 Jahren

I live in texas and have a deck that I would like to turn into a screened in deck. It is just the strips of decking now, what type of flooring do we need to put down and can I put glass windows up along with screens. Of couse in Texas we have really hot summers so what type of cooling systems would I use. Thanks.

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.