Houzz Logo Print
tommyflan

POLL: Would you rather live in the UK or abroad?

Tom Flanagan
vor 8 Jahren

For all us UK dwellers, we're very lucky to have access to such diversity on this little island, but some of us get itchy feet, and find ourselves looking for greener (or perhaps more appropriately sunnier) pastures abroad.

There's a lot to say about living here and living abroad, but the big question is where holds the pull for you?

Vote and comment below - we'd love to hear!

UK!
Abroad!

Kommentare (16)

• hutchsl
    vor 8 Jahren

Whilst I love England, and all it has to offer,(We live in North Yorkshire), we don't really want to move.... BUT if someone offered me a weather boarded home in New England, you wouldn't see me for dust :) think the house in The Notebook, that Noah promised Allison (i know that was in the south, but that house......swoon :) Any offers??!!

Riverside · Mehr Info

Traditional New England Style Homes · Mehr Info

• hutchsl
    vor 8 Jahren

sounds like a beautiful adventure!

• quijanotango
    vor 8 Jahren
    After living in London for 15 years, I accepted a job offer in Bangkok that I could not turn down. After 6 months living in Thailand and enjoying the amazing lifestyle that a good contract can give you, I cannot deny that I miss London. But just a few things of London! I don't miss the traffic jams, the incredibly expensive property scene, the badly run NHS hospitals, the inner London schools run by unruly children, the expensive transport, £200 a month council tax bill, super expensive childcare...but I miss the parks, the period properties, the pubs, online shopping and above all these, my friends ;-)
    I might go back to the UK, but not back to London, the best city in the world if you're one of the rich and wealthy. And by the way, I'm not British! Greetings from Thailand
  • k11agl
    vor 8 Jahren
    It kinda depends on where that 'abroad' is I'm sure. And the season we are talking about :)
  • Robyne Greener
    vor 8 Jahren
    We had much the same experience when we moved to Portugal. We found learning Portuguese very difficult (we speak German and can get by in Spain) but this was somehow harder? We found all paperwork, taxes, car registration, etc.. very confusing and officials were not helpful or sympathetic. We came back to live here but kept the house there, which we let out and go back every now and then, suits us much better and we're happier here where we know the system, with friends and family close by.
  • Christine Jones
    vor 8 Jahren

We have been in Portugal for nearly 8 years and love it despite the language issues. That said we would never say never to returning to the UK. A home in both countries would be the ideal solution but sadly not affordable in our case.

• ellietough
    vor 8 Jahren

We have built our dream home in Scotland and never want to leave. Although wouldn't mind the opportunity to experience living abroad and being an expat for a while! Never know what the future holds...

• PRO
    North London Windows Ltd
    vor 8 Jahren

abroad ALWAYS THE WAY

• Daniela Provvedi
    vor 8 Jahren

I've lived in the UK (London and Sussex) for over 20 years - and loved it. I love everything about the British; the humour, the culture, the quaint villages, the Pubs, kind people - everything! The only thing missing is the weather - it's just not in the UK. I have a house in the center of Italy, where I go to often, but I live most of the time in the South of France. I often come back to the UK, but would I live here again - don't think so.

If the UK had huge snowy mountains for skiing, and hot sandy beaches to go to in summer - if winter was winter and summer was summer, I would be back in a flash!

• kew134
    vor 8 Jahren
    A foot in both camps, please! What I would give for a chalet in Les 3 vallees. Don't think I could permanently bale, though.
  • Shesh Deards
    vor 8 Jahren
    I'm posting this comment from my holiday home in Spain, which we've had for 12 years. When I'm here I absolutely love living on the outskirts of a large city, which is also near the sea. When I'm back in my little house in England I absolutely love being there. We used to live in a beautiful, much larger, family home, where our children grew up, but the recession put paid to that. Home is where you make it. Home is more than a place. It's family, friends and what you make of it.
  • PRO
    Empatika Bespoke Fitted Furniture
    vor 8 Jahren

I think both is good for me, then I get to experience two different places, but even better than that, I don't want to be stuck to going to the same place all the time, I like to try different things and prefer to go on lots of different holidays to other countries.

• Diana Jeuda
    vor 8 Jahren
    I live in an 18th century house in beautiful Whitby with the Moors looking inland - and with the Jurassic Coast on my doorstep. I cannot imagine anywhere better to have as my permanent base.

But below is my summer home in the Netherlands (the small classic boat in the foreground not the modern flats behind).
    The Dutch are a delightful nation, the village is pretty (the flats are its least attractive feature) and the sailing is wonderful.

The combination works so well!
  • Iona
    vor 8 Jahren

Like hutchsl I also live in N Yorkshire and were it not for the fact I run a small business here, I would move overseas in a heartbeat. Coming out of another long, cold, dark, snowy, flooded dreary winter makes me realise it has lasted near on 5 months: Nov to March. Where would I move to? Anywhere safe, low cost, sunny and friendly. Am thinking possibly of Portugal, though recognise what others have said about Portuguese language and bureaucracy, would be willing to take language lessons. One day...one day....we will see.

• Coco
    vor 8 Jahren

If I could move to a nice old flat in Barcelona, I'd do it with NO hesitation! Barcelona is such a beautiful place, full of interesting things to do, amazing weather, beach...

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.