Houzz Logo Print
elliot_cowan

Value for money

Elliot Cowan
vor 8 Jahren
Hello,

I'm in consultation with a reputable architect I actually discovered via this website and he seems really good, switched on and approachable. He's now sent me a proposal for our two story side and one story back extension to our detached house. It's considerable more just get to planning than the local workaday architect I approached also. But due to us being in a conservation zone, the local (North north London) was extremely pessimistic about our plans and felt he was a bit prickly too.

The estimate for the work by the Houzz guy is around £150k before VAT and fees so we're looking at around £200k in total, £23k for him, which sounds like the expected 11-13% I've heard architects take home. But what I don't want to happen is outlay £9k for concept/design only to get refused at planning because of ye olde conservation conservatism. And to be honest these figures are all mighty rich for us right now anyhow, but might be ok in a year or so when we remortgage.

What should I be watching out for at this stage?

Many thanks all.

E

Kommentare (6)

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    vor 8 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 8 Jahren

Hello Elliot,

The thing to be mindful of here... are twofold..

1 You have to come up with a plan that not only gives you what you're looking for in terms of any extension or works.. but also what is considered acceptable under the conservation laws.. Is the home listed? Is this radically different to what is in the surrounding areas.. Will it be deemed as excessive.. Radical or out of step.. Planning aside..

2 Do you encroach in anyway onto neighbours with this build.. This can be a really sticky situation to get into and will not bode well if people start to object.. What I would do is look at any works that have been carried out in the neighbourhood.. Look at what might have been agreed previously but not actioned if you have those details from purchase for example..

Speak now to the conservation office(r) to assess the lie of the land as it were- and make friends with the neighbours and make them aware of your plans...

Also look at the ratio of build comparable to the square footage of any land.. ie your garden or where you intend to build.. If it's not permitted development then planning permission is necessary but hopefully you can iron out any objectionable's now rather than later.. The Houzz guy as you refer to him will probably already have said all this and more.. : ))

• Elliot Cowan
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren
    Thanks for this response. Really helpful to clarify what I think our ambitions have going for them despite being in a CZ and despite the local architect's pessimism. Based in your things to look out for I think we stand a good chance of getting things through, I'm just in two minds about it being necessary to go for the price you architect to achieve it.
  • PRO
    Bell Architects - Creative sustainable
    vor 8 Jahren

Hi there

The fees are high!

And yes I agree that it is very important to be sure that what you are asking for in the planning application, will actually be achieved.. Are they able to run a pre-consultation with the planner to get a comment on initial sketch proposals?

They should be able to...

There is no such thing as a 'workaday' architect - if you want to make sure that someone is an architect, use the formal register at www.arb.org.uk If the name is not here, they are NOT an architect...

Hope this helps

• E D
    vor 3 Jahren

Ah, there you are, Anna!

Im so glad you’re very satisfied!

🥱😂

• hedgehog99
    vor 2 Jahren

Steve you’re on the wrong forum

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.