Houzz Logo Print
jeffamundo

Additional Coverage for a Bamboo Fence

Jeff W
vor 8 Jahren

I recently put up a bamboo fence in my backyard and I am perfectly happy with it in the daytime, but at night, I can see lights right through it. You can see in the picture. To remedy this, I would like to find a plant that will grow on the fence and provide additional cover at night and look nicer during the day. The picture shows that I only have about 1-2 feet in front of the fence depending on the section. I have considered putting in climbing hydrangea and climbing roses, and possibly alternating them. I have a few concerns:

1) How well will they wrap around and climb up the bamboo fencing.

2) Will they cause damage to the fencing so that if they come off one day, the fence will look worse for it - which is why ivy is out.

3) Will they help provide fuller coverage so that I'm not seeing right through it at night, even in the winter when the leaves are reduced.

An alternative I'm considering is to ask my neighbor if I can simply plan evergreen bushes behind the fence. Has anybody experienced using climbing plants along with a bamboo fence?

Kommentare (4)

• mersiepoo
    vor 7 Jahren

That's a beautiful fence! We have neighbors from heck and I put up a bamboo fence on the gate as they would routinely look down our drive to see if we were home.
    A few possible solutions might be (depending on your situation) to (inside your fence) reinforce the bamboo by adding lumber as a backing so that it'll block out the light (but it won't look as pretty obviously). If you can find thinner bamboo you can bundle them together and then add them to block out more light. Rhamnus (sea buckthorn) may work though I don't know if that's ever green or not.

• Jeff W
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 7 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 7 Jahren

I got climbing roses and hydrangea, but decided that those would not cut it for this purpose since they would provide minimal coverage during winter. I also got some straw bamboo to add coverage behind the fence, but the straw bamboo is useless. I plan to use it as a trellis rather than as any kind of fence. I'm fairly certain that is the only use for straw bamboo other than building chicken pens and cheaply identifying the boundary between the beach and a beach house.

I decided to put golden euonymus in front of the fence, and I may either put a trellis behind it for it to climb up, or simply train it to go up the fence. The good thing is that euonymus is one of the few evergreen scrubs with a reasonable ability to climb. It will require trimming and training, but that would go for any scrub in this situation. I am interested in finding what alternative evergreen options there are for this situation. Holly seems to be another options, but euonymus seems to be ideal for additional fence coverage. In fact, it sounds like euonymus and a trellis could constitute a fence in itself.

• mersiepoo
    vor 7 Jahren

There may be some thujas that may fit back there, not Green Giant of course, but there are some cultivars that don't get quite as huge as GG does. Good luck with whatever plants you go with, hope the Euonymus works out!

• PRO
    California Fence Company
    vor 7 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 7 Jahren

Nice one. You can use thin bamboo stick or wood to block the light. It will definitely solve your problem.

Gesponsert

Laden Sie die Seite neu, um diese Anzeige nicht mehr zu sehen

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.