Houzz Logo Print
klc948

Sea grass rug for living room??

klc948
vor 7 Jahren

My husband and I are about to move into our new home and are trying to figure out a good option for our living room rug. Our house is a new build with a two-story living room so I'm really hoping to "warm" up the room and thought a seagrass rug might help with that. We've never had a natural fiber rug and don't know much about them - can anyone give us some guidance on them? Do you like them? Where is a good place to purchase one? Do they scratch wood floors?

Our living room:

Inspiration:

Kommentare (9)

• kjg3
    vor 7 Jahren

Congratulations on your new home! Your living room is a great space & your inspirational photos are beautiful. I have had sea grass rugs in my own home & I really like them. They never did any damage to the hardwood floors & you can find them almost anywhere that sells carpets. I think once you put down the rug & add in your furniture, lighting & wall art your room will come together & give you that cozy, warm inviting look that you want. Good Luck!

• KK Johnson
    vor 7 Jahren
    We purchased a rug pad from Amazon and my husband and I cut it to size since it was just a little too big, if you are worried about the floors they are really easy to just cut yourself in the garage.

Remember to buy felt tip gliders for all the furniture that will be directly in contact with your hardwoods! I didn't do that in our old condo and regretted it for the dining area :(
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    vor 7 Jahren

I do not like the feel of seagrass on bare feet , so maybe test that out. My choice would be a nice wool rug, soft on feet and a nice texture to help with warming up the space.

• cpaul1
    vor 7 Jahren

Just me personally ... I would only use sea grass layered with another area rug. By itself it is just too casual (and boring) of a look for me.

• grewa002
    vor 7 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 7 Jahren

I had two sisal rugs, both from Pottery Barn, and I regretted it. There is no good way to clean up spills, especially if your kids do not tell you they spilled something right away. After a couple of years only, they now decorate my basement / playroom.

• Darlene
    vor 7 Jahren
    It is probably a good idea to use a carpet pad under natural fiber rugs so that would eliminate any scratching of the floor. Pottery Barn has been our place for sisal rugs.
  • skmom
    vor 7 Jahren
    I have a sisal rug in my family room, we love the natural color and the look of the texture, it does warm up our room. We got ours from pottery barn, it has a backing of sorts on it. It has not scratched our wood floor, we've had it for at least two years now. We have spilled on it before, one stain was a little more difficult to get up, but it eventually came up, the others came right up. You have to be careful to clean up spills from under the rug too, you don't want the liquid seeping through to the wood floor and sitting there.
    I consider myself to have very tender feet, so I was much more concerned about the texture than my hubby who has tough feet and thinks the rug feels like a great massage... it took some getting used to for me. Some days I find it uncomfortable to walk on while barefoot, most days it doesn't bother me at all once I got used to it. (I have fibromyalgia, so some days I'm just super sensitive... I wear socks on those days so I don't have to feel the rug.)
    We have five teenaged children... nobody likes to lay down on this rug, so when someone gets booted off the couch they go grab a blanket to lay on the rug or my sheepskin rugs to lay on top of the rug so they don't have to lay on it bare. So that has been an easy fix. I didn't have a rug like this when I had babies/toddlers... but I can totally imagine that my babes would NOT have liked to crawl or walk on it. Hmmmm.... that might've made a very effective boundary space for a newly mobile babe... plop them on a blanket in the middle of the sisal rug and they won't move off the blanket... brilliant!!! LOL! (Joking of course... sort of. LOL!)
    But yeah, it really doesn't help with noise reduction.
  • PRO
    Blackstone Carpets
    vor 7 Jahren

Congratulations on the new home! Here at Blackstone Carpets have Soft seagrass which is a blend of Marsh grasses and other natural grass fibers. Made in the same process as soft Sisal in a softer feel. Soft seagrass is the answer to the normal scratchy seagrass. Soft seagrass comes in 3 patterns and only available at Blackstone Carpets.

http://www.blackstonecarpets.com/product-category/carpets/soft-seagrass

Good Luck!

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.