Houzz Logo Print
suzy_e_lee

Need ideas on how best to cover uneven transition from wood to tile

S
vor 7 Jahren

Hi GW community,

First time poster but long time viewer. One thing that always stands out about the GW community is how knowledgeable and helpful everyone is. I hope to tap into some of that with this post.

I've got a situation where the bathroom floor is about .25 inch higher than the wood floor (see photos below). The flooring people left a gap for possibly a T-moulding, but I don't think this would work since the floors are uneven. Would love to hear your ideas on how best to deal with this problem.

Thank you GW community!

Kommentare (7)

• PRO
    Uptown Floors
    vor 7 Jahren

Always hated those situations. I've resorted to same colored caulk as the hardwood. Applied it heavy then pressed the t-mold into place. Then stay off it until the caulk cures. Naturally wiping any excess before with thumb and damp cloths. This way you have good support on the hardwood side. Only you will notice it if it's done right.

• User
    vor 7 Jahren

If I were fixing that situation(since I have a wood shop), I would make a beveled transition strip about 3" wide. I'd use oak(grain similar to the floor). Use Transtint wood dye to color the strip. Cut off the door stop at the angle of the strip. Then drill and counter bore five evenly spaced installation holes with the counter bore 1/2" deep. Fit the strip, install with 2" screws and cut five plugs to glue in the holes---using excess from the board used to make the strip. Bu matching the grain patterns when cutting the plugs, you can make the plugs invisible. Then finish with water borne poly---at least three coats.

There are lots of handy persons/woodworkers who could do the same.

• PRO
    User
    vor 7 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 7 Jahren

Here are two transition pieces that will work. You will have to stain them to match your hardwood, or you can call where you got the hardwood from and see if you can purchase matching transitions. Chances are, however, they won't have these exact ones.

Here is an overlapping reducer. I found this right on Home Depot's website. They call it a multi-purpose reducer. Home Depot Reducer

This piece is a threshold. Threshold If this is a bit too high you or your contractor can always shave off a bit of the bottom lip. I can't tell you how many times we've had to make custom transition pieces to fit and look good.

• PRO
    Uptown Floors
    vor 7 Jahren

"This can be done by closing the door and sliding wedges under it."

I was gonna mention that. Works great.

Ken Fisher

• PRO
    Designer Interior Wooden Wall Cladding Panels
    vor 4 Jahren

If you are looking for different options you might be interested in checking out this product https://www.qualitycarpettrims.co.uk/buy/floor-transition-strips-uneven/ it makes the job so much easier to do.

• Molly
    vor 3 Jahren

Are those peacock pavers in the bathroom? I am in the same predicament right now...

Gesponsert

Laden Sie die Seite neu, um diese Anzeige nicht mehr zu sehen

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.