Houzz Logo Print
efaint

Almost there...

Emily Hughes
vor 6 Jahren
zuletzt bearbeitet:vor 6 Jahren

This has been a labour of love for my partner and I. We have completed all of the work ourselves; from complete rewire and gas fitting to building two extensions and everything in between.
The work is not fully complete yet; we are about to tackle the garden which we haven't touched since we bought the property three years ago. Once we have done that, we will move back inside to do the final bits on the house, but want the garden complete for Summer.
Would love to know your thoughts...

Living room

Bathroom

Kitchen

Kommentare (30)

• Emily Hughes
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    Living room
  • Emily Hughes
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    Bathroom
  • Emily Hughes
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    Kitchen
  • barryandannawilliams
    vor 6 Jahren
    For a moment there, before I scrolled, I thought your before hallway photo was the after one! Looks lovely - I particularly like the living room, very welcoming. It be so nice to nearly be done! We are just getting started...
  • Emily Hughes
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    Thank you - it's hard work but so worth it. Pics don't really do it justice but we are so pleased.
    Are you doing a full house Reno?
  • Daisy England
    vor 6 Jahren
    It's lovely. Well done.
  • Emily Hughes
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    Thank you Daisy
  • barryandannawilliams
    vor 6 Jahren
    Hi Emily, yes we are - kitchen extension, garage conversion and new bathroom is the first phase, starting next Monday (finally!). Then we'll undertake a second phase when we've got some more money! Would you mind letting me know the rough size of your kitchen, I'm struggling to visual how our new space will look! Thanks, Anna
  • Emily Hughes
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    Wow that sounds fantastic. Are you having contractors come in to do the lot for you?
    Our kitchen is 7m x 5m. We extended out by 4m; it's a 3 bed semi.

Hope this helps.
  • barryandannawilliams
    vor 6 Jahren
    Having read that you did all yours yourselves, I am a little embarrassed to admit that yes we are having builders come in to do the big jobs. We'll be decoration, fitting and finishing ourselves but that is the extent of our skill set!

Kitchen measurement is very helpful - thank you, almost identical to the space we will have!
  • Emily Hughes
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    Don't be embarrassed; it's only because of my other half who is very practical and used to be an electrician that we did it ourselves! Really I'm using the royal 'we' because I generally made copious tea, coffee and acted as chief biscuit supplier! I got stuck in with painting and all the non-skilled work but that's about it!

You'll love it, the space is amazing.
  • Soraya
    vor 6 Jahren
    Super impressive! Love all of it. Well done and looking forward to seeing the garden photos once it's done.
  • PRO
    Barclay Interiors Ltd
    vor 6 Jahren

You have superb staircase and a pair of even more superb dogs. Take a look of the bespoke dog pen we designed for a client.

Bespoke dog pen and staircase design · Mehr Info

• PRO
    Harris Interiors Ltd
    vor 6 Jahren

What an amazing result! Well done!

• turquoisetree53
    vor 6 Jahren

Emily, great job. you may have thought of this already, but just in case.... if you glue lovely felt bases on base of feet of those French oak dining chairs, they will glide beautifully and silently, when you move them around on your wood floor.

• PRO
    fraser bathrooms
    vor 6 Jahren
    Well done your partner deserves a huge medal! Hope you can sit back and enjoy it all now together.

Good work swaping the cat for a dog too !
  • Emily Hughes
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    Thank you everyone.

Turquoisetree - we have got pads on them and they make all the difference! Thank you :)

Fraser Bathrooms - yes he does deserve a medal, you're right! The dog addition was one of the better parts of the Reno! Although when the house was a building site I didn't realise how much he moulted... now I hoover every day; even down to hoovering the pads on the dining chair feet!!!
  • PRO
    Daniela Pluviati Staging & Design
    vor 6 Jahren

Great job!

• Emily Hughes
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    Thank you Daniela
  • Annie Par
    vor 6 Jahren

Lovely. Did you retrofit the letterbox window? And was it tricky/messy?

• Emily Hughes
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    Hi Annie, we fitted the high window at the same time as the rest of the windows / doors in the extension so it wasn't a retrospective fit but really worth while as it is a lovely view and lets the last of the evening sun in!
  • Emily Hughes
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    For anyone that is interested: some before and after pics of the garden, again done by the two of us in 1 week annual leave.
  • Emily Hughes
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    Have also done a bit of planting... gone for purple/green/white theme... a lot more to do but definitely a huge improvement.
  • Chris Greenwood
    vor 6 Jahren

Love it! So
    bright and welcoming

We are doing
    our house ourselves, it is a labour of love My husband is also very practical
    which is a god send. The times when we have got someone else into do anything
    it seems to have gone wrong and my husband has had to go and redo it. I can’t
    wait to be at the stage you are.

• swimmingsarah
    vor 6 Jahren
    It looks amazing. I love the colour of your lounge. What colour paint it it please.Well done you and your other half.
    We are also doing our build ourselves. We are just choosing flooring and painting the hall. Any recommendation for flooring??
    Well done
  • Emily Hughes
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    Thank you Christine... it truly is a labour of love. It will be so worth it when you are finished. We are just finishing off the driveway (last big job) before we move inside to do the final less urgent bits: painting architrave, skirting etc. But to me, it feels like a palace now and the hard work is almost becoming a distant memory... enjoy your project and good luck Emily

Hi Sarah, thank you very much. It sounds like you're well on your way to a finished product!! I believe the paint in the living room was Dulux Natural Hessian. It needs re-painting actually as it was the first room we did, before the extension and it's looking very tired now.
    We bought this house as an investment, not as a forever home. So, we have just used a 12mm thick laminate in the hallway / kitchen: cheap(ish) and cheerful, it doesn't bend and move like standard laminate as it's that bit thicker. We got ours from Wickes.
    If we had been doing a higher spec home or our own forever home, I would personally go for amtico. High quality and durable, good choice with kids / pets etc. Or oak, for obvious reasons; 'cause it's just timeless and beautiful - but not the best with pets and kids! Good luck with yours, Emily.
  • Emily Hughes
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    :)
  • S L
    vor 6 Jahren

Well done, especially doing it all yourselves. Great job!

• Emily Hughes
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    Thank you :-)
Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.